There's been a GIMP alternative this whole time and no one said anything?

There's been a GIMP alternative this whole time and no one said anything?

go be furry somewhere else

never heard of it. is it actually any better than gimp or nah?

It's not a GIMP alternative. It's a Photoshop alternative if all you use Photoshop for is digital painting.

GIMP > Editing
Krita > Drawing
It's that simple.

GIMP's for image editing, Krita's for painting

I prefer Pinta desu
Krita pulls in kdelibs, its sad but that is even worse than pulling in mono

The brushes suck and I didn't enjoy using it at all for digital painting. Didn't really use it for image editing.
If I want to paint digital I just use mypaint or firealpaca :V

freedom planet 2 is looking good

Yeah, I just started using it

10000x better than GIMP for average everyday sort of use. Interface is intuitive enough that I was figuring out how to do all the basic shit I wanted to do without having to look up a fucking guide to learn that I need to hold shift to draw a fucking straight line fuck you gimp

I guess it's not as good as gimp when it comes to filters and tools and shit? idk - everything I ever wanted to do, I've been able to do in Krita with significantly less googling and frustration than in gimp. Krita's basically open-source that, for once, 'just werks'.

t. normie

if you were into digital drawing you would have heard of it
it is by no means a replacement for gimp but a decent alternative with less options

It's only a GIMP alternative for drawing, not general image editing.

>Krita pulls in kdelibs
Use AppImage.

The built-in brushes do suck, but it's not terrible. I haven't really messed around with custom brushes for Krita, don't know if they're any better.

Krita is the poorman's Painter. GIMP is the retarded Photoshop.

All the brushes have some setting turned on that makes the strokes just kind of sit on top of the last one instead of blending with what's underneath

I didn't want to bother changing that setting for every brush, so I just went back to my old programs

As for custom brush sets that are good, David Revoy (deevad) has good brushes that he uses for digital painting/illustration.

You're probably not a very good artist.

Krita is the best cross-platform program for graphics tablet stuff

Photoshop is still *slightly* better, but the windows wacom drivers aren't half as good as the linux ones

Au contraire, I just found the brushes to be really goddamned irritating to use because their default settings are fucky.

(yeah, I'm totally shit and heavily out of practice, but that has very little to do with my impression of the software. I've used a variety of image editing/digipainting programs, including Photoshop, so I do know what it feels like to use professional software.)

t. lazy-ass artfag who needs to kick his ass into gear

Uses Qt and looks like shit.

you know the GIMP has an animal for a logo as mascot as well, right?

Other anons already said it, but I would just like to further emphasize that Krita is primarily for digital art, while GIMP is for editing images. Big difference.

Now, having said that, Krita is amazing. I can't believe this is open-source software. Everything just works, and there's no retarded UI that's too hard to navigate. None of the features are hidden. All the features work. With Krita, I have literally no reason to buy a """professional""" digital art program.

>google "Krita mascot"
>links to deviantart and a reddit furry page on the first page
>google "GIMP mascot"
>no links to deviantart or furry communities
hmmm

Gimp fucking sucks for editing. Krita has surpassed it even in that regard. Gimp doesn't even have filter layers.

wilber (gimp mascot) isn't a cute female character, i guess
idk what furries are into, but i can understand one getting more attention than the other

I want to fuck that squirrel.

Hello paid adobe shill.

Pinta is really simplistic and limited and more of a Paint.NET replacement than to compete with krita or GIMP.

Nice bait. Kirta is for drawing. Gimp is for photo manipulation. I'm not saying gimp doesn't suck.

Is krita foss?

GPLv2 and above

I don't know what Krita is using but the performance is very poor on Windows compared to Gimp or Photoshop.

Why did you just repeat what the image says? It's even readable from the thumbnail. Fuck off.

Adobe is clearly hiring third worlders to get everyone to use photoshop.

Because your mother was a hamster, and your father smells of elderberries.

I use both. Photoshop for editing, Krita for drawing. Both great programs, imo.
You scoundrel!

File a bug then. The developers want it to be performant on OS X and Windows. Krita uses Qt5 and some of the KDE libraries - it started off as part of the Calligra office suite, which used to be KOffice.

>British """humor"""

I think they will tell me to upgrade my computer or that "gimp and photoshop" are not any metrics for expected performance. Finally they will shove any bug report created a non-donating user.

I'm willing to bet it's the Qt5 and the KDE libraries that are at fault, not krita.

Literally none of that is true. Stop spreading FUD.

I sincerely doubt it. Qt5 is far superior to Gtk on Windows and OS X.

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!