Tell your mom that you gonna learn Java programming instead of going to work

>tell your mom that you gonna learn Java programming instead of going to work
>the plan doesn't succeed completely, because I don't learn 8 hours a day as I had envisioned
>son, are you learning anything?
>y-yeah, I'm doing my best!
>because you know, you'll have to go to work eventually, go around people; people in their 20s don't stay at home unless they are disabled and get welfare

I haven't even learned Java syntax yet, and I want to do some projects and programs thereafter to have some portfolio - learning will take a month or longer and then projects another few months

am I just retarded Sup Forums? I don't need money because I had saved a lot from my last job, I just don't want to go back to warehouse, I want to have a decent job and skill that is valuable.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XLfV60qzCdY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go pirate a copy of Head First Java
Go to a public library during the day and study there

Just learn Javascript and become a web developer. It's easier and you'll have more opportunities available.

I'm using the book right now. I also found a nice online course by Helsinki University so I kinda neglected the book by concentrating more on the course.

Is it really easier to learn a few web languages as opposed to sheer Java? I had tinkered around with web dev before the Java idea, but I thought the opposite - that it might have been easier for me to focus on one language instead of a few. I learned the basics of HTML/CSS/JS/jQuery and some PHP and Ruby, but after a huge break from it it was difficult to get back into it.

Maybe start with node instead of web stuff. There's a lot of demand there, too, and it might be easier to start off with since the tooling isn't a complex mess like it is for modern web dev

>not getting diagnosed with assburgers and getting welfare

This user is right, Javascript is in incredibly high demand (and is I would argue easier than Java) but the front end toolchain(s) are a fucking disgrace right now.
Node.JS can give you and introduction to Javascript with which you can move on to other forms of web development (or just get a job with Node, it's not like there aren't Node jobs).

Should I really drop Java in favour of JS? Honestly, I feel better with sticking with Java

It's a good idea, yes. If you learn Java, you're learning the language that's taught in just about every university. That means you have to compete with a shit ton of college grads for jobs.

If you learn JS, you don't have to compete with anywhere near as many college grads. Many see JS as beneath them and won't even apply for those jobs.

Plus, there are many more up to date free resources online for learning JS then there are for Java. There's no rule against learning multiple languages, but JS is a good first one because the resources are available, and it can get you a job much more easily than Java.

Thanks for the reponse! I do understand your point of view now.
Can I really get a job with bare JS though? I'd probably have to learn some other languages that go along with it. As I said I do know basics of other front end languages.

Also I wonder if market is that competetive and oversaturated when it comes to Java in Europe. Because I'm sure there's more Java jobs as opposed to JS, but the latter might be easier to get into or not (because there's less of it the requirments are higher because more people compete?).

Thanks regardless whether you do understand what I wanted to say above or not. I will think about switching to JS.

Yes you are retarded. Java is top 3 easiest languages behind python and Javascript.

Just look stuff up on stacklverflow thats what I have been doing

>people in their 20s don't stay home unless they are disabled and get welfare

topkek

Just do both its not that hard. If you know Java you know Javascript.

not this user, but I just applied for a job as a junior node.js developer
I have a phone interview today, will update, but I have a much more technical background and am a polyglot programmer

>Can I really get a job with bare JS though? I'd probably have to learn some other languages that go along with it.
Practically speaking, you'll have to learn HTML and some CSS. They're not hard to pick up though. If you focus your efforts on pure JS, you will be valuable to just about any company because everyone has a web front end of some sort.

The user recommending node is on the right track. It's a good way to learn the basics of JS and you'll want it anyway because most of the front end tooling is written in it nowadays.

Steer clear of front end frameworks for now because they come and go. Learning vanilla JS will make it easy to pick up whatever frameworks you might need when the time comes.

>Also I wonder if market is that competetive and oversaturated when it comes to Java in Europe.
Not sure about that (I live in the US), but
>I'm sure there's more Java jobs as opposed to JS
Not really. Even if more Java jobs are posted, pretty much every company needs front end (ie JS) people to some extent.

Example: I'm a software engineer working on a team of Java engineers. I got the job because I was an intern working on another project, and the manager of my current project heard that there was an intern who knew JS. He pretty much stole me onto his team, and it wasn't long after that for me to become full time. The company doesn't post listings for JS devs, but they desperately needed one. There are a lot of places like that.

There are also a lot of places aware of their need for JS devs, so you shouldn't have to go through such a weird path to get a job. My point is that there are more jobs available for JS than it might seem when looking at job postings.

Good luck!

Burger flipper here, where do you guys find tech jobs?

Fuck. This was just too depressing to read. I got to
>I haven't even learned Java syntax
And I stopped reading.

You need to move out, OP. Get a job, even if it's just at a grocery store. Start eating right. Work out, just a little bit, 20 minutes a day 3 times a week. Shower regularly. Stop playing video games.

Not OP, but how do you guys prove that you have even learned a language well enough to be employable? Do you just show employers a github with projects? Do you get some kind of certificate?

you can show them a ceritficate, your github
in the end it's about proving yourself at the interview so no material evidence will help you - just your knowledge

is nobody going to question that gif?

>Should I really drop Java in favour of JS? Honestly, I feel better with sticking with Java

I dropped Ruby for JS after nearly a year user, it's a great language. (I instantly got a six figure job on the back of being a pidgen js coder (my main speciality is infra security)

>I havent even learned java syntax yet
that takes literally 2 hours even if youve never programmed before

)

nice

1) Forget Java
2) go to edx.org
3) take CS50 (intro to computer science) from MIT taught by David Malan
4) Its free and you learn basic syntax for C and python.

5) You can now into any high level programming syntax just by reading a couple sample programs

or just go learn you a haskell

Java and JS are nothing alike

just displacement map animation problem?

I've learned Python, made some tiny stuff, now I'm learning Java.

I'm afraid to apply anywhere cuz i don't know nothing about frameworks. I don't even know what work is about - do I create whole application or just work on smaller tasks? I don't have any bigger project on my github, just some CLI that I've made in former job to make life easier xD

This. They need to test your knowledge of practical things like coding bubble sort from scratch.

Online on sites like dice or indeed

not too sure about scratch

youtu.be/XLfV60qzCdY

Bang out keywords on your cv and just apply for everything you can.

When i was applying for jobs people mostly wanted some basic knowledge of programming and good logic skills.

When i started i was basically shit and an employer taking somebody with no job experience sort of has to accept that

what kind of job did you have and where did you find it?
did you have a CS degree at the time?

I work in a psuedo development role, although i was offered dev roles as well. It's basically writing custom scripts and applications to support a shitty saas product. Mostly python but some java.

I have a maths degree, most of the devs i know did maths or physics, or some other kind of science, rather than cs. It definitely depends on what you are doing, if you are writing a lot of low level stuff i could see it being useful, but for writing general applications it isnt really that important what you studied. I've seen people with cs degrees write some pretty horrific stuff.