/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Current CPUs informations:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use, R5 if on budget.

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in some specific games atm (Civ6, RoTR, Rocket League)
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/DrXZD8
youtube.com/watch?v=UzsKeBxQN40
pcpartpicker.com/list/6KLsf8)
pcpartpicker.com/list/6KLsf8/by_merchant/)
pcpartpicker.com/product/3kPzK8/amd-ryzen-7-1700-30ghz-8-core-processor-yd1700bbaebox)
pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7)
pcpartpicker.com/product/zBH48d/msi-x370-gaming-pro-carbon-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-gaming-pro-carbon)
pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16)
pcpartpicker.com/product/FrH48d/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam)
pcpartpicker.com/product/Pshj4D/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-ftw-gaming-acx-30-video-card-08g-p4-6276-kr)
pcpartpicker.com/product/sjX2FT/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bk)
pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1)
pcpartpicker.com)
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/br7DNN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236038
pcpartpicker.com/list/KsFZd6
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I want to refine the OP a bit but too tired right now, and busy lately.
I think it'd be best to list best values at price points and usages.
People seem to get confused
Also driver updates for both Nvidia and AMD have heavily closed to gap on some games that used to be poor performance outliers on either. (AMD is now way better on quantum break, overwatch, and GR wildlands where it sucked at before. Nvidia is now way better on Deus Ex, and The Division, where it sucked before)
But it comes down to Freesync being far more widely adopted, and far cheaper, where you end up pretty much paying 1070 price for a 1060+gsync monitor compared to rx580+freesync.

Also RX460 performance has massively increased, which has been overlooked, and now roughly matches the 1050Ti yet can be found at $70-$85. The RX560 should be faster, and if cheap enough may be worthwhile. (at $100 is usually where I'd say the 1050Ti was maybe worth it)

RX550 is not worth it unless $50-$60 (currently MSRP is $80)

It should be clear with how it says
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor.
but people often still don't get it. idk.

Go with ryzen for running virtualbox in Ubuntu?

>virtualbox
>ryzen
biggest duh there ever was.

wow, and this is with a 1600x?
christ

what are some great CPU coolers to get for a Ryzen 1600 / 1700 that I plan to OC?

Just use stock cooler.

everywhere I read says the stock cooler gets kinda hot if you OC the Ryzen to 3.7 / 3.8

Anything.
6 core ryzen max OC's TDP is something like a 4.5GHz sandybridge
As long as you use some kind of tower cooler you'll probably get to whatever max clock your silicon lottery has dealt you.

If you want 4-4.1GHz, a 140-180w TDP cooler is really all you need. Ryzen runs cool as long as you don't try to pass that 1.35-1.4v wall.
H7 is nice, but you will have to send them pictures as proof of purchase and wait a few days to get your bracket.
Le Grand Macho is 140w TDP passive, and I think 320w if you stick a decent fan on it. It's reasonably priced and comes with an AM4 bracket if you get one manufactured in 2017.
There's other options. Just search AM4 coolers and look for ones that are at least 140w TDP.

That's probably the 1700.
6 core ryzen's start getting toasty on stock at 3.9GHz

3.7 should be fine. 3.8 will depend on your chip and your case airflow but it's still doable.

With a 1600x too. Bye Intel.

2v2 evo, be quiet! Pure Rock / Shadow Rock Slim, Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK, CRYORIG H5 Universal, anything noctua that is over $40, corsair h50, etc etc etc
Hell, even $20 are good

This is indeed right, the stock cooler handles decent OC but runs quite (assuming full or 70% load), wouldn't particualrly recommend

>RX550 is not worth it unless $50-$60 (currently MSRP is $80)
why not. It's currently 100 euros in germany and I think it'll be enough. What should I go for then if I want to play blizzshit games with good fps?

The 560 is going to be barely 20€ more and will run laps around it.

Hardware unboxed did a G4560+RX550 video and came to the same conclusion I got to.
Pretty good GPU, but should be $60 not $80. or 75 EUR in your case.
You can currently get a 7970 or 280 used for $65-$85 which is much better, though higher power consumption and not new with warranty.

The RX560 is expected to only be $20-$35 more, and twice as fast.
If the RX550 was $50-$60, then it'd be half as fast for half the price. That makes sense.
The RX560 is looking like it'll be incredibly good value for anyone that plays older games or who can play stuff on medium.
It should be 30% faster than the 1050Ti yet cost the same or less. That was more than I expected. I didn't realize Polaris drivers improved THAT much. The RX460 used to be quite a bit behind the 1050Ti and the RX560 is a much, much bigger improvement over the RX460 than the RX580 is an improvement over the RX480.

Only reason to get an RX550 before it drops in price is if you just need the minimum for 6 monitor support.

Originally built my PC with some hand-me-downs and some solid components, and now I'd like to do it right. How does this look?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DrXZD8

You absolutely do not need a 280mm AIO to cool a 6700K, even if it's delidded that's way too much cooling for a chip that can output like, 180watts of heat at its peak.

Looks good
The 650w is pretty unneeded, could drop easily to 550w or even 500w

Honestly, the only reason I went with a 280mm is because 140mm fans are so much quieter.

Noted, I'll downsize that.

This kid has a better rig than you.
What's your excuse?

i don't browse reddit

Well. I will wait for the rx560 then.

>I went with a 280mm is because 140mm fans are so much quieter.
That's fair, consider a 140mm AIO instead.
You don't really save much money wise but the size is much more manageable.

I'm a worthless, unemployable waste of space who can't do anything right.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/DrXZD8
>4 sticks of 2400
sell those and get 2x8GB of something better.
>2560x1080
fuck no. Do you really have no idea how terrible that is? To only have 1080 vertical pixels yet all that width? Why the fuck do you want 360 less vertical pixels? It's retarded.
Jesus. It's fucking $580, too.
You can get a 144hz IPS 2560x1400 freesync monitor for $400-$500.

Rich older guys aren't trying and get in my pants anymore.

1050 TI OR 1060 3GB????

NO AMD PLS!!!

My parents didn't love me that much.

Are you upgrading from a 970?

I know that dilemma.
I want a faster card but I don't think 3GB is enough of an upgrade over my 2GB 770.
If you have a decent enough card now, just wait it out.
If not the 1060 is better enough to be worth the price.

>NO AMD PLS!!!
Why?
Leave this general if you aren't here to listen to our advices

Because i'm going to use it for mostly racing sims where detail doesn't matter, but refresh rate does.

Also, I'll change the RAM.

On a different note, I've watched some reviews of gsync and freesync and they say that when it's enabled you lose a lot of FPS for marginal performance difference. Why does Sup Forums mention it all the time?

UPGRADING FROM HD 4600 INTEGRATED GRAFIX

AMD MORE EXPENSIVE HERE IDK WHY!!!!

What country?

PHILIPPINE ISLANDS

STOP FUCKING SCREAMING

hows DU30 treating ya?

GETTING THE 1060 3GB THEN SINCE I ONLY GAME ON 768P

>768P
That card is best suited for 1080p/1440p my man

You might as well get a second hand 960 or something if you're only running a resolution like that

>768p
lmao just get a 1050 non-ti.

>refresh rate
>144hz is somehow more than 144hz
nigga what

>gsync and freesync and they say that when it's enabled you lose a lot of FPS for marginal performance difference
Where do you see this..?
Link.

>you lose a lot of FPS for marginal performance difference.
What other metric of performance is there other than FPS?
Frametime? I would sacrifice FPS for consistent frametimes every times

>144hz is somehow more than 144hz

I'd rather have 1080p @ 120fps than 1440p @70fps. AI drags down fps.

And as far as the freesync/gsync thing,
youtube.com/watch?v=UzsKeBxQN40 @ 9:15

[PCPartPicker part list](pcpartpicker.com/list/6KLsf8) / [Price breakdown by merchant](pcpartpicker.com/list/6KLsf8/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [AMD - RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor](pcpartpicker.com/product/3kPzK8/amd-ryzen-7-1700-30ghz-8-core-processor-yd1700bbaebox) | $316.88 @ OutletPC
**CPU Cooler** | [CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler](pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7) | $34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
**Motherboard** | [MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard](pcpartpicker.com/product/zBH48d/msi-x370-gaming-pro-carbon-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-gaming-pro-carbon) | $173.29 @ OutletPC
**Memory** | [Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory](pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16) | $134.49 @ Amazon
**Storage** | [Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](pcpartpicker.com/product/FrH48d/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam) | $179.00 @ Amazon
**Video Card** | [EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card](pcpartpicker.com/product/Pshj4D/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-ftw-gaming-acx-30-video-card-08g-p4-6276-kr) | $379.99 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case](pcpartpicker.com/product/sjX2FT/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bk) | $104.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Power Supply** | [EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1) | $88.49 @ OutletPC
| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1447.12
| Mail-in rebates | -$35.00
| **Total** | **$1412.12**
| Generated by [PCPartPicker](pcpartpicker.com) 2017-05-05 10:32 EDT-0400 |

woooow you literally understood nothing that was said there.
You are actually retarded.

And yes, no shit gsync/freesync does nothing when framecapped at the refresh rate.
That "reviewer" is retarded, and you're more retarded.

It doesn't say anything at all about lowering FPS.

Then why is it dragging down an unlimited FPS to 50-65?

What didn't I understand?

Do you actually make use of the eight cores of the R7 1700?
Are you gonna SLI, Xfire or use all these PCIex16? If not, dropping to a b350 motherboard would be a wiser idea, they're pretty good.
Could downgrade your PSU a little bit if you want, that build would run fine even on 430w. 550w would be ideal.

>Then why is it dragging down an unlimited FPS to 50-65?
The guy doing the video caused it, because the effect of freesync and gsync are the most noticeable at low framerate.

Is the Taichi still the king of Ryzen boards, or is there another reasonable contender?

Faggotry aside I miss the feeling of being that happy and proud of things :(((

I'm selling my 980ti on ebay but people keep lowballing me on best offers. like offering $200 when the listing is over $300

what price are people actually buying them at? I'm trying to get a buyer for $275+ but nobody seems to be biting. It's kind of annoying, I splurged on a 1080ti and want some of my money back

i'm proud of you user

Crosshair is good if you BIOS UPDATE RIGHT FUCKING AWAY
Aorus is good.

Real question. He can cap at 144 and it doesn't change, but it fluctuates at low FPS when he enables G-sync. Why is that?

tfw RX580 8GB in the mail

can't wait to put my old trusty HD6870 back into it's box

>single CPU
nah

haha you can sell Fury X's for $350 for some fucking reason.
But yeah it seems 980Ti go for $250-$275.

Maybe you should watch the video more closely and get the dicks out of ur ears

>but it fluctuates at low FPS when he enables G-sync.
no it doesn't
listen to what he says.

Thanks.

Alright guys...I'm gonna do it, just give me one final blessing
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/br7DNN

GO FUCK YOURSELF, ASSHOLE

Good luck not understanding what's actually going on enough to answer the question properly, and instead just flinging insults like a fucking dickbag.

I am listening, and he says the 'frame rate and refresh rate sync up and it just works' but I don't see why the refresh rate of the monitor would affect the FPS coming out of the graphics card. I guess there's a fundamental part of the mechanics that I'm missing.

is this for 1080p gaming? if so I would save some money and go for a 470/570. When capping at 60fps you wont notice the difference between a card that can pull 65 vs 70

but if you're solid on the 580 then it's a good build. god speed.

>Good luck not understanding what's actually going on enough to answer the question properly,
>I guess there's a fundamental part of the mechanics that I'm missing.
you are dumb

Ya but for 50 eurobucks i think it's pretty good to get an 8gb 580 instead of a 4gb 570/470
I hope i'll be able to put it all together tho

Obviously you're not any smarter.

Just gave away my gtx 1080TI to my friend because FPS in battlefield 1 dropped below 130

that's probably because of your CPU user

Everyone, give me your input. Is there any reason to get a 1700 over a 1600? Between graphic design, games, virtual machines and who knwos what else could happen in the future.

It'll also probably sell for $30-50 more in a couple of years when you hock it on ebay.
Unless you wait too long because once they go below the $100 mark used cards start to all cost around the same.
I saw a 8800GTS go for $30 a few weeks back.
I dont know what that guy wanted that card for but I don't think a 8800GTS is as valuable as 1/3rd of a 550

>Is there any reason to get a 1700 over a 1600
it's 33% better in things that are embarrassingly parallel.
Easiest comparison you can make. It's the same shit with 2 more cores.

Seems like a legit deal. Should i get it?

Really not that great. There have been deals for DDR4 3000 at $100 the past week. And it's just CL 15-17-17

How the hell is that a deal?
3200MHz 16GB is slightly cheaper

meh.

What the fuck how can this be a deal?

What's the best graphics card for $1.00?

It's the only white RAM I know of and would go with my build

Im autistic

Integrated

buy regular ram with a heatsink, take the heatsink off, spraypaint the outside

Also stupid
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236038

get sticks without heatsink and get a white heatsink for them.

Buying a new PC:
pcpartpicker.com/list/KsFZd6

Is it alright?

Whats a good cooler for the 7700k?

get a z270 mobo, otherwise you wont be able to boot with that current one using the 7700k without updating the bios first

which means you'd need another CPU in there to update the bios beforehand

also >intel
why not get a ryzen CPU which is the better bang for your buck and proven benchmaks show that the Ryzen is just as good as the 7700k, and better when multicores are used?

A delid is the best cooler for kaby lake.
Not even meming. You can get 5GHz on a $20 cooler if you delid kabylake and replace the TIM with that liquid metal shit.

keep in mind this isn't recommended and you could actually kill your CPU doing this

no cooler can handle a 7700k that's not delided, if you're not lucky.
it is hellfire incarnate.

>get a z270 mobo, otherwise you wont be able to boot with that current one using the 7700k without updating the bios first
Well shit, people said it was gonna be fine before.
Any recommendations for a not too pricey one?

>why not get a ryzen CPU which is the better bang for your buck and proven benchmaks show that the Ryzen is just as good as the 7700k, and better when multicores are used?
I hadn't considered it because it wasn't available a couple of days ago and when I asked at the place where I plan to buy, they said "Oh it could be months before they are available here."

I checked and it's out now in my country. I guess it's worth considering. 100 bucks cheaper. But isn't "just as good" a bit of a stretch? I mean all I know is the r5 has a lot of room for improvement and doesn't have a 90%+ load on all of it's cores.

I really hope this will be the last revision so I can finally buy that thing.

Frame stuttering and optimization for Intel chips. You get less of that on games/Windows 10 with Intel.

What part would I benefit the greatest from in upgrading

Current:
i5 2320
GTX 660
8GB OEM Ram from 6 years ago
23" 1920 x 1080 LED Samsung monitor from 5 years ago

Have about $500 to spend. Think of just getting a 1080

>MSI Z270-A Pro
Actually this is the mainboard I planned to use in my build, I just misclicked on pcpartpicker.
Guess I'm fine.

video card

>you get less stuttering on intel
someone post the image

would any of my other parts limit my card though?

Maybe none video cards aren't essential a normie pc

Only get a 1080 if you think you'll be upgrading the rest to something real good in the next 6 months, and even then you might want to wait for vega.
Otherwise the GPU is definitely the way to go, just pick up something around the performance level of a 1050/460. A used 960 or 370 will also work.