God this guy annoys me to no end

God this guy annoys me to no end.

In his latest video, which I refuse to even put a link to, he upgrades the new old stock IBM PC AT that he managed to buy. And by upgrade, I mean he rubs his ham fists all over it and bumbles his way through something that he has no experience with and calls it a success.

First of all, the fucking thing has a 30-year-old CMOS battery in it that still works, but while it's open he wants to rip it out and swap it for a cheap box you can put AA batteries in. IT STILL WORKS AFTER 30 YEARS, LEAVE IT ALONE, FUCK.

He struggles to upgrade the RAM.

He struggles to install a 3.5" floppy drive, and ends up fabricating garbage rails and bending shit to put it in.

And then to top off the shitshow, he adds an Adlib card.

It's just always really cringy to watch this guy work on old PCs. He portrays himself as this PC historian who knows all about this stuff from his childhood, but in reality he's not, he's never used anything older than like a Pentium at the oldest (which he's admitted), and knew nothing about computers at the time to do more than click icons in Windows. He struggles to use basic DOS commands, and apparently has no idea how to do anything with autoexec.bat except for what he reads off of the internet. His default prompt gives me autism.

Watching him work with classic PC hardware is like seeing one of the hundreds of videos of young kids trying to teach you how to put together a new PC and struggling with it the entire time themselves because they've never done it before either.

Yet I keep watching this crap because I'm old and part of me will always miss the 80s and 90s.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LzRbzwjoEOg
youtube.com/user/cranialpasta
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where do I unsubscribe from this blog?

I know that feel friend. Short of time travel we can never go back to simpler times. Seeing people defile ancient history instead of preserving it is absolutely disgusting.

I think you have autism, OP.

Knock it off, OP. There are better places to get your retro computing fix than YouTube.

He has a soothing if a bit autistic voice

>First of all, the fucking thing has a 30-year-old CMOS battery in it that still works, but while it's open he wants to rip it out and swap it for a cheap box you can put AA batteries in. IT STILL WORKS AFTER 30 YEARS, LEAVE IT ALONE, FUCK.
You're an idiot. Preventive maintenance is a must and should be encouraged.

The only shit he bent and fabricated was for AND only on that 3rd party drive.

>And by upgrade, I mean he rubs his ham fists all over it and bumbles his way through

I usually like his videos about old PC games, where I think he has more direct experience, but I'm really with you on this point. I didnt watch this one but Ive seen him really weirdly manhandle stuff plenty of times, while talking about how special the item is. If it's so special why are you slamming it around, bending it, slapping it on a table, and otherwise hate-fucking it with your clumsy fingers?

I suspect he just prioritizes making videos quickly at the price of careful handling and depth of content. He is a charismatic enough speaker that when he annoyingly wonders something aloud without providing the 2-second googlable answer, its still basically watchable. He likely makes more money cranking out quantity vs quality (basically the whole philosophy of youtube now).

>He portrays himself as this PC historian who knows all about this stuff from his childhood, but in reality he's not, he's never used anything older than like a Pentium at the oldest (which he's admitted), and knew nothing about computers at the time to do more than click icons in Windows. He struggles to use basic DOS commands, and apparently has no idea how to do anything with autoexec.bat except for what he reads off of the internet. His default prompt gives me autism.
literally described the average shitstain on Sup Forums

>Battery
30 years old, could die and leak everywhere, you're a faggot that thinks he knows way more about old hardware than he really does.
>RAM
Welcome to old hardware, faggot, sometimes shit is old, broken and just doesn't fucking work.
>3.5" drive
It was some random 3rd party drive, he even says he wouldn't bend an original part.
>Adlib card
Literally who fucking cares? The hardware can support it, what's the problem? Is it too new for you? Deal with it, it's his hardware.
>His default prompt gives me autism
Your entire thread does the same for me.

It's not preventative maintenance, if you weren't retarded you would know that kind of battery is MEANT to last a long time and it's literally autism that would lead to someone throwing it away just because it's old.

Sorry Clint, your videos are shit and your fat hands shouldn't ever be in your videos because they're just embarrassing.

Those of us who grew up using this hardware literally laugh at every video you make because you're hopelessly incompetent and have no idea what you're doing. You just want views and money, you don't give a shit about the material.

Get a real job.

>It's not preventative maintenance
>replace a 30 year old battery
>not preventative maintenance
>A THIRTY YEAR OLD BATTERY
>ya that's not preventative maintenance
>

>Those of us who grew up using this hardware
>stil on Sup Forums
You old fucks are worse than Clint.

He seems like cool guy, he's like the Linus of Retro Hardware, and that's good enough for me.

>has no idea how to do anything with autoexec.bat
Who remembers that shit, it was a fucking long time ago and I'm glad I don't have to deal with it just because I don't have enough real mode memory. Fuck.

>shitting on comfy LGR
bait

have fun watching this one then:
youtube.com/watch?v=LzRbzwjoEOg

Gonna watch because hopefully I can feel superiour to the 8 bit guy

>talking shit about LGR
A new low for OP

>caring this much about a doorstop computer

Old computers are very cool and aesthetic and everything, but treating them like some sort of holy shrines sucks all the fun out of the whole thing. Have you even seen the type of damage a leaky battery can cause to the traces?

I could fix that just by pissing on it desu

>I could make an AI in 20 years
>Fuck up wiring a lcd screen

But replacing batteries is literally the best thing you can do. When they leak, they can fuck up a board so bad it just dies. I don't get why you get so pissed off about it, honestly.

Literally who and who cares

The point of collecting computers is to have fun. LGR is having fun. I'm having fun watching his videos. He's not hurting anybody, and his hardware still works, and he probably puts a lot more effort in restoring it than you do. Stop being a faggot.

This. If you don't like his videos don't fucking watch them. Like change the channel man. Did you expect him to install a gravis ultrasound? I mean that'd be cool but they're impossible to find and go for hundreds of dollars.

Normally he's ok, but that episode was waaay off. Almost felt like I was watching a parody of the X-Files.

I think he was trying to create a video that belongs more on his failed "cranial pasta" channel, and it comes off as cringy and weird to people who are used to his main channel
youtube.com/user/cranialpasta

>First of all, the fucking thing has a 30-year-old CMOS battery in it that still works, but while it's open he wants to rip it out and swap it for a cheap box you can put AA batteries in. IT STILL WORKS AFTER 30 YEARS, LEAVE IT ALONE, FUCK.
as others have said, it's preventative maintenance. My LCII had a good CMOS battery when I got it, and died a few months later.
>He struggles to upgrade the RAM.
Because the first card he tried was bad...
>He struggles to install a 3.5" floppy drive, and ends up fabricating garbage rails and bending shit to put it in.
those are AT drive rails that the aftermarket floppy drive doesn't have. It doesn't really matter if they aren't ORIGINAL AUTHENTIC IBM™ CERTIFIED drive rails. They serve the purpose of holding the goddamn drive in the goddamn bay.
>And then to top off the shitshow, he adds an Adlib card.
it's a perfectly fine sound card for a 286-based machine

He's usually pretty good, like on his last two videos, but that one was bad

How fucking autistic do you have to be to complain about someone replacing the CMOS battery in a 30 year old computer?

He actually doesn't, tho. He has the box that someone sent him and shows it, but he left the original battery in since it still works.
The RAM was a dead board.
The floppy thing is due to old PCs not being all that standarized.
Nothing wrong with an adlib, better than PCSpeaker.
And if you are more of an expert than him, go ahead, start your own channel. Otherwise shut up your whore mouth, you loser fuck.