M.2

or is it just a meme?

m.2 is good for saving space in small cases and not needing drivebay cages

nigga there aren't any SSDs that need drivebay cages
with them being solid state and all you could probably leave one hanging on a cable like a real autistic faggot

You get really good read/write performance for the dollar with m.2

I've owned a 960 EVO 240GB for a few weeks now, happy with it.

I brought it because I've been putting of replacing my Samsung 840 which I've had for 5 years, only gripe with it is the size. To me it seemed like a wast of time upgrading to another sata SSD.

Obviously I have a really high read/write but the actual tangible benefits from upgrading from a SATA SSD seem to just be the boot time, bios to windows actually looks like a glitch, see a blink of the loading screen and I'm in. Aside from that, opening and using normal windows applications is basically the same speed. Loading big programs like maya, photoshop and UDK might be faster but not noticeably.

Basically if you want it because its cool and you want fast boots, get it, if your on a budget a sata ssd is almost as good.

I only buy m.2 now for the space it saves

Shit's getting so fast that I can see in 10 years just having slots on your mobo that you plug shit like this in and it doubles as your persistent storage and your RAM. Obviously you'd still have mass storage devices, but those would be more niche.

I actually left a 2.5" SSD just hanging by the SATA and power cables in a previous build. Nothing wrong with that. It wasn't an ultra fedora see through case with RGB LEDs and shit so who cares.

M.2 is the form factor the drive technology can be radically different drive to drive.

>it doubles as your persistent storage and your RAM
Never going to happen.

Doesn't this shit get dangerously hot by itself, even worse when it's under the fucking GPU or in the back side of the mobo with no airflow at all?

960 Pro coming down in price pretty nicely OP

Love my 950 Pro to death!

So?
Worst case scenario it throttles.

Not him, but several tech giants are already predicting exactly that

do you like to cook up your mb?

Completely defeating their advantage over a regular SSD.

I do, actually, cooking eggs on GPUs is what I do in my spare time.

Worst case scenario.
Put a fucking fan on your case if you have enough money to put a M.2 in there.

It doesn't have to get hotter than any other SSD unless it has much better performance.
Note that half OP's drives are SATA, just in an M.2 form factor.

But on very high performance models yeah, you might be better off with PCIe.

as a form-factor it's shit and is being abused to suit the needs of consumer technology, which is why it's popular in the first place, but so long as we get easy access to half and full size pcie ssds (or even m.2 to pcie) I'm happy

nvme is great and is a game changer

it's several orders of magnitude slower with far higher latency, never mind all the (serious) privacy concerns with having persistent ram that might be hidden away behind dodgy controller firmware

it might be a thing in some embedded scenarios or stacked chips but as far as workstations and servers go it's not going to happen unless the whole ram industry literally dies

m.2 to pcie adapters exist, some with heatsinks (and some with completely ineffectual heatsinks with huge air gaps)

even those shitty rpi heatsinks work and they work far better in a case with airflow than they do being used on rpis

it's a bit of a hack but it's the price to pay for the form-factor

It's nice to not have to run cables to your boot drive.

Over 3,000 MB/s read. When will Satalets ever learn?

they will never learn desu senpai

Using the M.2 port on my motherboard disables 2 sata, and I have all 6 filled.

Sata SSDs are fast enough for me.

Now when they come out with 6 Sata ITX boards with M.2 on separate lanes I'll finally be able to build my dream NAS