Go blows away Node in pretty much every way IMO. You get all the niceties of blocking code without actually blocking...

>Go blows away Node in pretty much every way IMO. You get all the niceties of blocking code without actually blocking, you get (relatively) tiny binaries that you can deploy anywhere with ease and no fuss, instead of 250mb of node_modules that everyone comes up with hacks to work around. You get a very strong stdlib to stop re-inventing stuff (poorly in many cases), a rich selection of 3rd-party packages from a community of seasoned engineers, incredible tooling for debugging, profiling, monitoring and so on. You get normalized code that looks the same no matter who in the community wrote it, auto-generated documentation, a built-in test framework, built-in benchmarking, static typing and all of the benefits that go along with that, less fragmentation (concurrency models etc), the list goes on.
>JavaScript will have an edge due to the browser, but even that won’t last forever with WebAssembly coming online, then it will really be down to personal preference. JavaScript is nothing special in terms of language features, so I don’t expect it to “win” long-term, the object model is pretty nice but there are many other great options. Personally my biggest mistake was not giving it an honest try earlier, I felt it was ugly but the look grows on you, and it’s incredibly easy to read which is hard to say about most other languages.
>Also Lambda and friends don’t just sandbox using V8, they use containers just like they do for Ruby, Java, and the others, so there’s no real benefit to JavaScript in particular there. Plus when you can deploy a Go binary in 1 or 2 seconds it feels plenty “first class”.

some reply in a blog. is Go the future of web back-end?

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/
blog.golang.org/errors-are-values
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i'll just stick to python, thanks.

didn't read lol

cool blog post senpai

thanks for the guaranteed bumps

Comparing Go and JS is like comparing apple to oranges.

I'm personnally a fan of Go, but to call it a replacement or that it blows Node out of the water in every way is bs.

What the fuck does Node have over Go other than ecosystem and same language as front end?

I tried Go once and got tired of having to do the whole if (err != nil) routine every time I tried to do something nontrivial.

rolling

theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/
>node devs

>using a slow as fuck molasses language for webshit
Enjoy catching on fire when you get 1000 users at once

>using go
>no generics, have to hack around the language
>still have GC pauses that destroy cache lines
>error handling for channels is broken

yeah thanks I'll stick with rust

I like elixir

Any reason why I shouldn't like elixir/phoenix?

rolling

Reimu please

Go is the next hipster meme.

The guy who wrote that blogpost used to be a Node hipster. Until one day he realised Node wasn't giving him enough hipster points, so he switched to Go, to get with the hype train.

Never trust these people who keep jumping from one boat to another, just because they need to use the latest and the most hyped meme.

It's just another type of autism. These people pontificate about tools and languages all day. But they never build a great business or product.

>other than two very important things

Those two are a big deal.

at every project so far it was either pl/sql, java or both.

Rolling

roll

rollin/g/

this.
holy shit this.
is there no way to not have to do this bu trather have it abstracted somwhere ? something like `fag, err() = doSomething()` to not have to do the whole error != nil thing ?

Why not just make an actual post here or somewhere else and use that number instead of making useless garbage replies?

> is Go the future of web back-end?
It's currently *very much* part of the future websites party. No particular reason why it wouldn't be allowed - it complements it all quite well.

But the big and most successful parade ponies are Java / Scala with Spark, Akka, Kafka, Cassandra and friends. Far more entities are on board and reporting success with Akka, Cassandra, Spark (...) than anything else.

I don't understand why people treat error handling as a bad thing, people knock Go for this all the time but what's the alternative, exceptions and/or not handling errors? I don't see how people can call Go pajeet tier while being mad about error handling, or more importantly, not knowing how to handle errors generally, even in other languages. As if things like errno are any different.

blog.golang.org/errors-are-values

>cancer vs cancer
fight!
>vs cancer
>vs shitposting

>>using a slow as fuck molasses language for webshit
Pretty much all of the languages that people actually use for web are just as slow. Go is the exception in that sense.

sure

If you know Nodejs, like javascript and don't need 1 serve 1 million concurrent connections stay with it.

not even that guy, but
>toy benchmarks without actual workload and long opened connections