I want to put a fan on the back of my case where the GPU is to suck hot air out, what do i secure it with...

I want to put a fan on the back of my case where the GPU is to suck hot air out, what do i secure it with? nothing permanent since i might put other PCI cards at some point

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119066
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This should have been in pcbg but the only type of fan that really goes in PCI expansion slots are those blower style abominations. They're cheap, usually shittily built, loud as fuck, and don't really move much air.

Beyond that, GPU fans that are blower style like those, will be sucking in air and exhausting it out the rear of the card, they're their own self contained heatsink. Fans that are traditional open air ones, are sucking up from the bottom and exhausting out the various sides blowing "up" onto the components into the rest of the case.

So if you put a blower card, you'll be fighting whatever cooling system is on your GPU now unless you reverse the direction of the fans.

Stock coolers on most GPU are typically sufficient enough. If they aren't, you probably have a thermal interface problem, or you are overclocking to the point you need to start looking at liquid solutions. What are you doing that you need a fan there. An exhaust would fight your GPU's cooler.

You are better in increasing your intake capacity to feed more cooler air to the GPU faster and help the cooler work more efficiently.

my card is open air, not reference model

That's what I was saying it really doesn't matter whether it's open air or blower style the fans are still moving air into the GPU not blowing out from the fans. What are you wanting to gain from adding a fan? Like I said intake would do you better if you have an open front or bottom intake.

nigger what, shit have been living in darkness this whole time, i always thought that gpus fans work on the same principle cpu fans do and blow hot air away

Nope they're always sucking in unless you have some special snowflake GPU that reverses flow, but every single fan I have ever seen, when it is in operation, uses the fully open side of the fan for intake and the side with the spars/supports as the exhaust. Look at your GPU. What side of the fans do you see? I bet they're the open side with no obstructions facing outwards. It's pulling in toward the card.

yea, seems like im a dumbass i have no idea how i managed to build my pc without fucking something up

Well what makes you want to put a fan in do you just feel it's too hot or we're you thinking it would improve airflow simply

i would like to improve airflow as much as possible i'd like to do some mild oc on my card without shelling out for cooling blocks, i have a strix 980 and while it does keep cool i want to have it as cool as possible

Yeah just add intake and exhaust fans to your case.

i have some but im not sure they are enough, i have 1 in the back and 2 in the front

Get an evercool Fox 2 PCI turbine

Add a top exhaust or two maybe. Get that hot air out ASAP

yea thats a good idea, thanks

This is those blower things I was originally referring to. Nothing but loud and hardly effective.

yea i saw, thanks for your help

Oldschool trick is that most 80mm fans can be rigged up to fit. If they have rubber fasteners like Noctua or w/e they can be put right on in between the slots.

Rest of the thread reeks of underage. Don't use those garbage fans like retards are recommending.

allright thanks for the advice, i think a friend has some 80mm fans i'll take one from him and see if it fits

The Fox-2 gets pretty good reviews
It's a double slot turbine pushes way more air than any blower GPU fan.

57% 5 star and 21% 4 star
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119066

For a non permanent setup I would probably work with zip ties. There seem to be enough holes around the target mounting area to attach a fan in that manner.

>pic related

Zipties maybe, with a couple of pieces of rubber to act as standoffs.

There was a Cooler Master full tower case that came with an attachment like that, I forget the name. I know 3DGAMEMAN did a review on it so you can check his archive.