>2017
>the best desktop crossplatofrm gui toolkit is embeding a browser into your application

JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

ionicframework.com/
facebook.github.io/react-native/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is there something like that but to mobile phones?

>the best desktop crossplatofrm gui toolkit

Apache Cordova

ionicframework.com/

also but a bit different (rendering to native components)

facebook.github.io/react-native/

the second one kinda works, the first one my company tried and failed miserably and just rewrote it to native.

>and just rewrote it to native.
something electron users should consider

>1 browser isn't enough
>lest run many!!1
>efficiency? bloat? what's that?
>open app
>laptop runs out of RAM 5 seconds in
>fffffff
>b-but le everything including portable shit has over 9000 niggabytes of RAM these days amirite? why care about RAM usage lmao
You may not like it but this is my experience with those Web-pretending-to-be-native shit. I didn't even hate the entire idea.

Thanks.

I hope it's not so bad for simple stuff, I might use it later.

>embeding a browser into your application
whats wrong with that? you get to use css to make fully sick UI's, and has built in media player etc.

it's no more bloated then whatever other library you're using.

>it's no more bloated then whatever other library you're using.
is there even such thing as a more bloated library than chromium?

the future is now

Sadly yes,

It's incredibly bloated but it's the only way to retain multi device designs in one place. html + css + js is nice for frontend as long as its not plugged up the ass with jquery

>it's no more bloated then whatever other library you're using.

this. only programmers care about this shit anyway. end users only see a nice UI.

end users see a laggy AF ui and they also notice their fans going at 120% and their battery draining super fast.
Electron devs are working on high powered workstations and pretend these problems don't exist. Not everyone has 16gb ram.

Electron is nice because it allows you make 1 GUI (in HTML/CSS) and have it look and behave exactly the same across all platforms.
The only problem is that they picked Chrome to embed it.

>The only problem is that they picked Chrome to embed it.

Hopefully Servo will be able to solve that.

>Not everyone has 16gb ram

But more than half of everyone use Chrome

>le bloat meme

here's what an electron app actually looks like.

>>le bloat meme

this triggers me so hard
sertiousoly, FUCK YOU nigger

oh, only 300mb for something that is a glorified mp3-player
that seems reasonable

>tfw you need to include a web browser with your web app to ensure it behaves the same on every device.
And this my friend is the failure of the web. We can keep up spending millions of dollars on this legacy markup shit with bloated js and suboptimal css only to realize that you can't use JS in slow devices, HTML is useless and css is the only part that works but then you need less.

I don'r see a gui there.

>HTML is useless
Speaks a stupid webdev. HTML fallbacks should be made mandatory so whenever javashit code breaks the users can still receive the service. Webdev time spent is insignificant to overall time spent by the users trying to figure out steaming pile of broken javashit.

The best crossplatform gui toolkit is a massive framework for C++ called Qt. Electron is garbage.

i hate react and electron BUT i have to admit vscode is pretty sweet..

after years of sblime usage i've migrated to vscode.

my only concern with it is how much time it takes to load, about 1-2 seconds where vom and sublime are instant.

but everything else is fast and the plugins are awesome. still so far is the only decent electron program i've ever seen.

from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui

from gun import commitSuicide

Seriously, Qt is the best. Looks and performance natively on any platform.

The one thing the web has going for it is how easy it is to make and render custom widgets, though. Want a filterable listbox/select on native?
Well, you better paint everything yourself...