What is the appeal of arch linux?

what is the appeal of arch linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the AUR, you don't have to compile anything yourself, some neckbeard already did it for you.

op what do you use so much cancer in one UI

I use it because it's a rolling-release distro that ships binaries.

Rolling release
Don't have to compile shit like Gentoo

pacman is written in C

fpbp

i'm used to it

Makes people feel like they are badass hackerz because they aren't using Ubuntu

You literally have to compile things from AUR

this. Let's be honest.

The reason people use arch is to show / tell everyone they use arch.

this desu

It's today's mandrake

the modularity

I think it's more of a hobby than anything because it allows for tinkering. I mean you can pretty much do the same stuff on all distros but some things are easier one some distros and harder on other distros. As far as I know a lot of customization is easier on Arch. Also the archwiki is pretty neat.

I don't think there is any technical reason to it other than that. It's like drawing portraits instead of taking a photograph, kinda not really necessary but for some people it's fun.

doing shit yourself I guess.
I don't know, I only have Manjaro

It has the comfyiest visuals.

Minimal installation gives me good boot times, plus I noticed that the packages from the official repos are more updated than Ubuntus.

package manager

So basically it's an autism cube for computer dorks. Got it.

Pacman, netctl, aur, vanilla packages, knowing that your choice of distro triggers some people for unknown reasons.

This + rolling release

teamspeak in repos

It's the O.S. equivalent of having a project car.

>Gnome
Hey keemstar

Pacman, AUR, Rolling release, Excellent written wiki, Very modular.

Your system breaks every morning because lmfao bleeding edge packages fuckery

But that's not true, user.

pacman

AUR

yaourt to handle the AUR for you

rolling-release so you don't have to reinstall every six months or year or however often Debian-based distros make you reinstall

The ability to install a base system at the beginning with nothing else so you can select what gets installed on your system (for example do you want a primarily GNOME/gtk environment, or a KDE/qt?)

And all of this without pulling in too many dependencies. Because you could just install Ubuntu GNOME, or Kubuntu, but what comes with it is a bunch of shit you didn't ask for. With Arch, you can audit everything that's about to be installed. Want to install GNOME? Start by installing the entire GNOME package. Look it over. Don't like what's about to be installed? Just install gnome-desktop and gnome-settings, and then pick and choose the other packages you want. All of this is done at the time of installation, so you can be sure that the system you're getting is exactly what you want, nothing more or less.

These aren't really true. You can "tinker" just as much with any other GNU/Linux distro. There is nothing about Arch that makes it is inherently more "tinker" friendly or "hobbyist." You can install the base system and GNOME following the wiki and have a just-works distro.

Finally, the wiki. It's awesome. I don't think there's a wiki that's more informative, in term of GNU/Linux distros. Even when using other distros, I've found myself referring to the Arch wiki, because it tells you HOW to do things and WHAT something is, rather than trying to hide it behind user-friendly "just copy-paste this into a terminal without understanding it" articles. Overall it's great for understanding your system without the timesink autism that is gentoo.

$ uptime
10:14:53 up 32 days
Do you just base your entire life and belief system off of Sup Forums memes without bothering to confirm them?

W-what about kernal updates, anonkun?

exactly

t. dumb niggers that never even used it

I do restart from time to load a new kernel, but I never really found it all that important as it doesn't really affect my day-to-day usage and it's easier to just hit the sleep button on my keyboard and later hit the esc keyboard to have everything ready to go in less than a second.

I have no idea. I use Microsoft Windows®.

>uses something that has all the benefits of Arch
>doesn't know why people use Arch

well for starters, Manjaro is just based on Arch, so people that use Arch are getting all the benefits that you enjoy plus the assurance that their distro isn't one of those meme "based on" distros that have a million bugs because the devs can never keep up with the original distro their shit is based on

I like
Pacman
Repo
AUR
netctl

openSUSE has the same thing but with software.openSUSE.com and the Packman Repository...

Rolling release, cutting edge software.

Why do people keep posting the the same shit over and over on this board. no matter the amount of evidence presented that contradicts their statements?

The fact you can build it the way you like. It's not hard to install, I did it and I'm pretty retarded. Didn't even know about partitioning until 2 years ago.

how many subreddits do you visit daily my man?

t. i use arch if it matters

good if you like getting cucked by retard developers

no freezes unlike debian unstable

>the AUR, you don't have to compile anything yourself
>he uses Arch + AUR
>doesn't actually understands how AUR works
Th1s 1s th3 l33t p30pl3

AUR is a security risk

>It's today's mandrake
You actually made me kek. But at least Mandrake had a proper install wizard

Debian coming through.

>hit the sleep button on my keyboard
>implying sleeps actually works on linux
How old is your laptop?

Arch is for brainlets that just couldn't get their mind wrapped around the simple task of installing Gentoo, if I do say so myself.

The appeal is you enjoy getting fucked over by the devs: lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

Has there ever been something malicious on AUR?

>Installing Gentoo
>if I do say so myself.
>posting a mac with shopped logo
You're a disgrace

Not with an Aur helper like Yaourt or Pacaur you don't, just run the command and it does everything for you. Pamac-manager does it even in gui too!

>using yaourt

aur helpers don't mean you don't have to compile

Technically you have to, but all the hassle goes away.

This.

I once spend 2 hours compiling an AUR package and towards the end it gave an error and it was all for nothing RREEEEEEEEEE.

You shouldn't have installed Arch on a calculator, get a real computer.

>hating on yaourt
>tfw brainlet who uses pamac

the underbelly of the aur is about as unstable as they come

T460p

Package was qgis.
Though thinking back a lot of it was just downloading it (over 4G), not just compiling.