One simple trick and my Thinkpad x220 got cooler by over 10 degrees Celsius. Am I blowing in the right direction...

One simple trick and my Thinkpad x220 got cooler by over 10 degrees Celsius. Am I blowing in the right direction? How are you cooling your laptops under load? Can this damage my internal fan?

no but it seems incredibly tricky, i used to have a 2011 hp laptop and i cooled it by removing the keyboard and putting 2 tower fans on the mobo

I need to take that laptop with me so removing keyboard is out of the question.

well its a laptop, temps are supposed to be high, it wont be damaged by high temps, most laptops can go up to 100C before any damage occurs and it will start throttling even sooner, in the last year of its life my hp laptop ran at 98C constantly with 300mhz throttle

But why?

I have no experience with the X220 however my T420 stays at around 50c with light usage and the fan turned off.

Is the X220's cooling really that bad?

I'm running computations for 48 h straight on all 4 cores with turbo boost. It doesn't like running at 3.31 ghz for hours. Before installing the fan it reached 97 degrees. Now it's 77-83. I don't want it to shut down on 100.

>4 cores
what

X220 with best i5 has 4 physical cores. You can buy an i7 model.

protip: open it up, remove the thermal paste with a microfiber cloth, apply new one, and finally use canned air to blow out any dust in the heatsink and fan.

Though it seems now would be a good time to invest in a custom desktop PC. Maybe R7 1700 CPU if you need that much processing power.

Dude the 2540m has only two cores with Hyperthreading, look it up at Intel's site. Same as my T420 having four cores with HT making the OS display eight cores.

I have some dried apple juice on my mobo. Tried to clean it but some of it refused to let go. Once it dried I placed some tape to prevent shorting and it worked liked that since 2014.

i have passive cooling.

I5 with 2 cores? Intel tricked me!

are you fucking blowing air into the exhaust

what a fucking retard

Isn't it supposed to blow on the side and draw air on the back?

I cleaned and changed thermal paste. less than 10ºC less (Win7 PRO). 70º IDLE, 93º underload.
After that I installed linux mint. 53º idle. 79º underload. Make your numbers.

Install thinkpad specific packages from thinkwiki. Your Mint obviously cannot into turbo-boost.

>thinkwiki
Explain this. Just made a quick search but don't know what Im looking for.
Thanks in advance.

>this one simple trick made OPs laptop 10 degrees cooler and basically you are fucking stupid
>subscribe to OPs blog to learn more

I just use the internal fan, my T420 stays cool all the time, even if i use the quadro

Btw I would like to thanks all my fellow neckbearded manchildren for the advice to buy a x220. Feels comfy as fuck.

>X thinklets
when will they learn

Dude, for shitposting on the sofa after a hard day resetting passwords @ work? Even the TN panel looks good to me.

Hey, that 16+ hours battery life with slice battery is totally worth it.

>x220
>not x230

no, it draws from bottom and blows on the side and the back.
t. x230 and t420 user

That's an awesome idea OP desu senpai. I'm going to draw and 3D-Print a fan holder for my X230 dock.

You were right... the temp sensor showed 77 degrees and the laptop hanged anyways.

Dis gon b gud

Shall I post results in /tpg/ this weekend?

You can get a new heatsink for $20 and it's incredibly easy to replace. I recently installed a new one into my X230, and it dropped the idle temps by ten degrees.

I do a bit of light gaming on it as well, and pic related actually helps.

came here to see this

>10 Celsius degrees
Fixed.
Degrees Celsius is a point on the Celsius scale.
Celsius Degrees are a measurement using Celsius Degrees.

It gets worse. There are
>i7
chips with 2 physical cores. AMD can't get A Ryzen derived chip ready for mobile fast enough.

Please do

Does the X220 have such strong heat problems?
I just ran Prime95 on my X230 i5-3320m for about 10 minutes and it wouldn't even reach 90°C or reduce clock speed.

but you do get 0.2ghz more than with the i5, go- ... guy! definitely worth the affordable $299 price increase :^)

It sucks from the bottom or through the keyboard, your blasting air backwards mate.