Red pill me on truecrypt

What the fuck happens?

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/veracrypt-audit-reveals-attacker-treasure-trove-of-critical-flaws/
github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

deprecated for all we know
use veracrypt, its a audited fork of tc

>veracrypt

Leaving the files on your desktop would be safer. TC was shut down because it worked. It's all I use.

>audited fork
>QuarksLab found:
>8 Critical Vulnerabilities
>3 Medium Vulnerabilities
>15 Low or Informational Vulnerabilities / Concerns

Good luck trusting these incompetent pajeets for your security.

Agree.
TC works flawlessly on linux, mac and windows from XP to W8. Never tried W10 but i wont use that to begin with.

nothing so far I know, it's still safe & secure

^ what he said. Gov't stopped it because it actually worked.

>An audit of VeraCrypt 1.18 was conducted by QuarksLab on behalf of the Open Source Technology Improvement Fund, taking 32 man-days and published on 17 October 2016.[29][30] The major vulnerabilities identified in this audit were resolved in VeraCrypt 1.19, released the same day

What the fuck are you going on about?

Anonymoose we dunt fergit durr

how should I encrypt files to my unlimited google drive account? Also, how would I go about retrieving files if I only wanted a certain file, rather than everything I upload?

Please of you to be giving a response that isnt fucking unintelligible memes

>implying that software found to be full of critical bugs won't be full of new ones by one
>implying that update fixed even all the ones found by the audit
>The majority of these problems have been fixed in VeraCrypt 1.19 and users are asked to update as soon as possible. However, they are not completely protected from the security issues raised through the audit.

zdnet.com/article/veracrypt-audit-reveals-attacker-treasure-trove-of-critical-flaws/

Good luck with your "encryption" standing up to scrutiny, street shitters.

It always hurts me to use abandoned software, so I am using VeraCrypt, but please don't say that it has some built in backdoors for nsa, I will be sad ;_;

Also, VC is Open Source (github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt), so any backdoor should be obvious, shouldn't it?

Was just trying to capture the reasoning of the one you responded to.

>Using Windows & Vera Crypt
>Not linux w/ LUKS
Simplify your life, nigga.

Developers abandoned it after project lead was arrested for being mob boss because they believed the government would force them to put back doors into it. They disbanded and regrouped, sans the don, and started calling it veracrypt. The last published version of truecrypt had an exploit that could elevate a user to system privilege.
You're good

VeryCrypt is superior to dm-crypt/LUKS.

Prove me wrong fagit.

or TC was shut down because {SomeUnnamedAgency} discovered a massive exploit and didn't want it fixed so sent an NSL to the dev(s) who abandoned it.

bonus: the same agency focked TC and made VC so they can control active development as well.

fuck this actually makes way too much sense. all those saying "i will stick to TC as it is known secure" are doing exactly what the NSA want.

>making a claim while demanding the other person to prove said claim

dm-crypt encrypts upon write and shit. VeraCrypt requires a lengthy process encrypting the whole drive which could take hours depending on disk size.

Come at me.

The problem with dm-crypt / LUKS is that most people just choose to enable it during the install when installing Ubuntu or something similar. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the default settings during install so the user just accepts it. The default settings aren't that secure and have some issues depending on your use.

VeraCrypt can do cascading encryption, dm-crypt can't.

>in be-4 huurrdurr cascading is inefficient and offers no added security, muh gaaymes

Still good as ever. Just gotta get the version before they patched it with removal of the encryption. Or you could go with veracrypt it's pretty much the same thing

>The default settings aren't that secure and have some issues depending on your use.
Bullshit.

Look kids; this is Hitchens's razor.

>during the install when installing Ubuntu or something similar

>one distro has default settings I don't like therefore the whole thing is bad

>Unfortunately, there is no way to change the default settings during install so the user just accepts it.

can be changed post installation or the user can setup dm-crypt manually how they like during installation

also, see above

>The default settings aren't that secure and have some issues depending on your use.

[citation needed]

also, see above

>VeraCrypt can do cascading encryption, dm-crypt can't.

it's not supported out of the box for all the obvious reasons but to say dm-crypt can't do cascading encryption is plain wrong

also, see above

Isn't it amazing that all the writers of the
TrueCrypt are now dead... Quite the coincedence

Yes. It was quite the tragedy. All those car accidents; truly we can never know who will be a victim of impaired driving next. It's a shame all of the responsible drivers fled and were never located; the authorities should have a larger budget.

You are right there is a flaw, but it's not in TrueCrypt. It is our lack of legislation for the availability of certain technology to government agencies.

No. Code can be made to look innocent, but be malicious.

>They disbanded and regrouped, sans the don, and started calling it veracrypt.
bullshit

>The last published version of truecrypt had an exploit that could elevate a user to system privilege.
If an adversary is already executing code on your machine you're fucked anyways.

it doesn't have any backdoors your hardware doesn't already have, so you're as good as you're going to be

FBI hit the door. But even the 7z encrypt was better implemented than this piece shit. But the best easy option is LUKS.