When will 1440p 144hz monitors become more common? there are only like 8 currently available and their all around $600...

When will 1440p 144hz monitors become more common? there are only like 8 currently available and their all around $600. There are a couple of Korean monitors that are 60hz but can be overclocked to around 100hz thatre only about $200.
also when will we get a 1440p 144hz HDR monitor? they announced a 4k one and still no 2k?
are we still a couple of years off?

>HDR monitor
That's got to be the jewest meme since VR.

As soon as you can play games at 1440p 144hz without spending a small fortune on a GPU.

I got an Acer 1440p 144hz monitor for less than £300. Yeah it's Acer but relatively inexpensive monitors do exist with those specs.

So a $350 1070?

What you're missing is that not every game needs to play at full hz, some will play even under 60 but there will always be a good selection that will play above and so you may enjoy that

>some will play even under 60
Hence, you're wasting your money if you pair it with a monitor like that.

what monitor do you have?

IPS? 1440p? Free/GSync?

No you fucking did not.

What percentage of existing pc's can run games in 1440p at 144 frames per second or better? One percent of existing pc's? It doesn't seem cost-effective to produce a costly monitor whose audience is 1% of the market.

not everybody plays only AAA games. most games can run over 60 on a 1070. plus isnt volta supposed to come out sooner than expected? which should mean the 1070 and 1080 get price drops.

Did you only read one part of the statement

Don't forget you can keep using the monitor in the future with upgrades

but theyre making 4k 144hz monitors. not even 2 gtx 1080 ti's can run games that well.

all im saying is that 1440p is the next step after 1080. how long until we see more high refresh rate monitors? like 2-3 years?

>how long until we see more high refresh rate monitors?

The technology is there already. Tech isn't holding back the advancement of monitors. The market is holding it back. If you are looking for a boutique monitor that is an enormously expensive representative of monitor tech, you could see it as soon as this year. If you are looking for when next gen monitor tech will be here and will be reasonably financially achievable, that will be many years away.

How many people currently either do not own a monitor or own an old 30Hz monitor? A very small percentage of those people will buy a 1440p, 144Hz monitor today. Most of those people will buy 1080p, 60Hz monitors. Some of those people will buy 1080p, 144Hz monitors. A few of those people will buy 1440p, 60Hz monitors. Very few will buy 1440p, 144Hz monitors. That is your bell curve. When that peak is 1440p, 60Hz, that's when you will see the monitor companies rush to capture the next gen market with next gen monitor tech. It's going to be a while before that happens.

Expect 1440p to get passed over in favor of 4K. With 4K, you can run 1080p content with no bluring since its a mathematically ideal 1:4 downscaling of 4K, wheras 1440p is pretty much only good for 1440p. This means that running your monitor at 1080p will look almost exactly the same as running on a native 1080p monitor assuming nearest neighbor scaling. Then, when hardware catches up, you can switch over to 4K when the time is right.

after gsync dies

>build first gaymen pc about 8 months ago
>went all out, bought a gtx 1080 and a 1440p 144 hz monitor with a 1ms response time for almost $600
>had no fucking idea about freesync/g-sync until like 3 months later
>feel like a complete tard when I realize I bought a freesync monitor for my nvidia gpu

I mean it still works and I still get 60+fps on everything but I could be getting better

I have seen HDR content on my TV and in my opinion, HDR is a bigger deal than 4k.

Nvidia outjewed themselves. Goysync tax was so high, nobody was willing to pay for it.

>1440p
Step your game up, it's time for 4k 144hz.
>1440p HDR
HDR classification requires it to be 4k, so never.

WhatI wanna know is when will we see 32" HDR4k displays? That new asus killer displayis everything you could wish for but it's god damn 28".

At this point you might as well just wait for 4k 144hz hdr 2

1440 is taking so long to actually get out there that everyone is going to leapfrog to 4k instead

What I want:
144hz
Freesync
HDR 2

Never. 1440p will be passed over for the high end gaming monitors in favor of 4k.

dont forget IPS

Why are Gsync monitors a shitton more expensive than Freesync ones?

G stands for Greedy.

Waiting on VEGA with freesync2 displays

When lower end consumer computer hardware is capable of handling it. Used to be a time when 1080p 60Hz monitors weren't a commodity like they have been for years now, keep that in mind. What you're asking for is no different.

You know the greatest slap in the face is that nVidia cards are fully capable of using freesync but the company cares too much about locking down their customers to their own platform to allow users to benefit from other products.

It needs a proprietary module and well - nvidia wants to see your shekels.

I bought a crossover 27 fast 144 almost a year ago, and it's native 1440p 144hz.
Nixeus also has a new one coming for somewhat cheap.

1440p is a dead-end, that resolution only really appeals to gamers so you won't see very many panel manufacturers making them.

>1440p is a dead-end
>using a comfortable size monitor that doesn't require scaling is a dead-end
If consumers wouldn't fuck it up(and god help me, they fucking will) 1440p would be the standard for PCs and 4k would be a meme that requires either 36+ inch monitor or using scaling, which defeats the purpose of higher resolution

this is the only monitor thread right now so i'll ask. have a big dilemma what to buy because i don't have much money and don't have experience with modern display (using a shitty laptop with 768p resolution)
what would be the best option if i'm not a hardcore gamer nor i am a programmer, just an average user. for example, quality 1080p monitor (u2417h) costs almost the same as a cheap '25 (and even one '27) 1440p model. but i'm not sure and think they will be too big. also you need a good gpu for 1440p.
guys, i'm really lost and don't know how to put it properly. anyone who used both types of resolution can give me a hint?

I have BenQ BL2420PT, it was one of the cheapest 1440p available to me, yet had most features, or so it seemed
1440p@24" is very comfortable, the monitor size is perfect and the DPI isn't too high to need to use scaling, the screen space is amazing, I love it and I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a new 1080p monitor now

thank you. is 1080p dated by today's standarts?

Not dated as such, but buying a NEW 1080p monitor just isn't smart, as it's been a standard for ~10 years now
If you have a shit monitor and not up to date PC that you don't plan to upgrade in the upcoming 2 years, sure, buy a 1080p monitor, but buy used
1440p is just future proofing if you plan to upgrade, or can already run a 1440p monitor(of course this is for games, as basically anything can "run" a 1440p monitor and enjoy the higher resolution)
I had a 16:10 1680x1050 monitor for more than 10 years and when I decided to upgrade it, as it was really showing it's age, having only VGA connection, I bought a 1440p even though my PC then couldn't run games on that resolution at decent framerates, but consumerism got the best of me and after getting the monitor I built a new PC in the next month, as my current one was built from various parts through the years of upgrading a prebuilt that I got when I was in like grade 4(several parts from a friends old PC, changed to GPU two times, had to change PSU at the first change of GPU as the pre-built one was garbage that couldn't run the new GPU etc etc)
There's nothing wrong with 1080p, it's just that it had its run over the years, technology advances

thank you. i'm also leaning towards the 1440p monitor because i lust for crisp fonts and images after this eye cancer abomination i'm using right now. i think i will get '25 or '27 monitor depending on the price

I would say 27" is what you should aim for if getting 1440p. There's a lot of cheap 4k displays at 27" and the text is way too small, the jump is not as small as 24" 1080 to 27" 1440 though but I'm skeptical of people saying 25" for 1440p is fine.

I would agree. Once you have used a 2560x1440 27" panel, 1080p feels incredibly dated. The extra screen space to manage programs or full screen applications is great.

bigger means more expensive(usually)
The BL2420PT is 24" which means ~125DPI
I, personally, find 24" (of course an inch more or less won't change too much) is the perfect size for a PC monitor and 120-130 DPI is very high, but not too high to require scaling, nothing seems too small for me and everything is very sharp looking
I'd suggest looking into the monitor I said, but of course if you find better features or cheaper price, go for another one, it's just that as I've said, that one monitor was one of the cheapest and with best features that were available to me

i watched the reviews and 25 looks good too, not SO much of a difference
right now i'm eyeing these three monitors
IIYAMA ProLite XUB2792QSU-B1
Dell U2515H
AOC Q2577PWQ
these are cost the same in my country. iiyama has a 10bit panel, is that good?

in my country iiyama is the most expensive, probably because it's the biggest
Can't really say which one is best, always comes to personal preference on what you need from monitor, plus it's really a hassle to choose the right one, takes a lot of time and thought and I'm high on cold medicine now
Dell seems to have the highest response time(the slowest(that's not good)) but what I've heard a lot of times is that basically every fucking specification on monitors are a fucking meme and they write whatever they want

falling for the 144hz meme.

This is all well and good.

Except no GPU can run games at 4k 144hz/fps.

Now, if you don't play any games and just want amazing picture quality? Yes, absolutely, but if you want to play games, 1440p seems to be the way to go if you have a high-end system.

You're a goddamn moran if you think a 1070 can drive 1440p@144hz at even high settings, never mind Ultra.

1440p will never get HDR, sorry it's a 4k only thing.

Theres obviously games like counter strike where it can

well let's not forget thousands of other old as shit games that the 1070 could run at 1440@144, dumbass

>tfw still on a 1440x900p @ 30Hz monitor
>tried overclocking a few times
>only managed a near-stable +5Hz overclock
>crashes if I have anything more than 3 windows on screen
>too poor to afford matching 1080p monitors like I'd want
>too gay to go and work for munz
>too pathetic to do anything else for money
how should I kill myself, anons?

bash you head into the monitor, two birds with one stone

>tfw one digit off quads
>tfw no face
fugg lads

i sucked dick for tech money once. After that, I feel as if anything is possible.

>nb4 fag etc
nope ;)

I'd love to suck dick, but am too much of a pussy to arrange anything.
Oh, and the money would be a nice bonus :^)

I had friends with penises, they had needs. It was easy

when 1080ti equivalent costs $250 and 1440p monitors costs $350 or less

1440p monitors can be had for less than 250$ already and we will probably reach 1080Ti performance for 250$ in next 2 generations

I might get a 1440p 60hz Dell soon but I want to ask, how overclockable are they from your personal experience? I'd like to reach the 75-80hz range.

If you have a good one you can maybe reach 75hz. But that is such a small difference you barely notice. Input lag on the other hand.. terrible.

>in next 2 generations
so 4years from now lolk

I've had this for 6+ years and I recently oc'ed to 75hz. I definitely notice and the difference is pretty substantial to me, so I consider it a nice compromise between paying a whooping premium for a 120hz one.

>Input lag on the other hand.. terrible.
What do you mean? All Dells suffer from input lag? 6ms is fine for me.

Depends on the model but on the 1440p and 4k's it's more like 20ms+.

When will we get a screen technology that isn't fucking shit?

Sweg

Nevaaa!!! Fscking ultra 99:1 widescreen lel

Not only in your opinion, but objectively.

Anyone who claims that HDR is meaningless is either fucking blind or simply shitposting.

We had it. It was called [spoiler]crt[/spoiler].

>20pounds of graphics and ass
>not shit

144hz is hard to get in some engines, you need to have a very potent system in almost every way to really get the most out of it.
I have a 980ti overclocked to stock 1080 performance, a 6600k at 4.8ghz, and ddr4 4000(30 fps increase in my most played game) and use it all for 1080p 144hz which is can do in most of my games but I don't play any AAA titles. They're all terrible and boring after 30 minutes.

Pic related is only $350 and will most likely be my next monitor. I refuse to pay the gsync tax with vega on the way. If you want adaptive sync then you have to add $200 to any GPU you look at. The 1060 becomes $450, 1070 $550, 1080 $700. This leaves a ton of room for vega regardless of it's performance.
Anyway, it's TN 1440p 144hz and isn't korean. The other option is Pixio but I would rather go with monoprice. Adaptive sync is something I really want because my most played game's engine just cannot maintain 144 fps regardless of hardware.

It would be cool if we could have proper 1080p picture quality before we started adding all these shitty bells and whistles that are mostly designed to ship shitty LCD technology to ignorant consumers.

But yeah, I'm totally hype enough for those 2017 blockbusters filmed in 4k HDR that I don't give a shit about the anything released before those.

>no height adjustment
>no pivot
>no tilt
>huge glossy bezels
>TN
and this is what I can tell from just the picture

Okay so go spend nearly twice the money on an ASUS. It's VESA mountable and, once again, is only 350.

Nah, I'd rather not spend money on unusable hardware, as you've said yourself 144hz is just not possible most of the time ;^)

God you're a moron. The most played games are things like League, Counter Strike, WoW, Dota, Rocket League, Overwatch, PUBG, GTA V, Starcraft, etc and they all benefit from 144hz. 1080p is fine for all that shit and costs less than $200 but sucks for everything that isn't games. If you use your computer 10+ hours a day like I do and spend maybe 3-4 of it playing a game you're going to want a high resolution when you're done. 1440p is a nice midground and for 350 I'm fucking down.
But of course you're just a brain dead nigger trying to be cheeky so whatever

There's a 1440p 27" 30-144Hz VRR IPS monitor coming out:

The Nixeus EDG 27. It's VESA mountable, uses special mounting on the AHVA panel to try and combat the mounting issues the Pixio brand monitors were having, and is only $400 on MassDrop right now.

>HDR classification requires it to be 4k, so never.
What the fuck is "HDR classification"
HDR is a concept than can be applied to 480p monitors and shitty cameras
Camera had HDR for ages

>refuse to buy adaptive sync
I don't want to be this fag but have you even seen it in action? Really hard to go back famalam