/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (R5 1500X will keep above 60fps in every game. No i5
>R5 1600 is the best value for higher fps gaming and mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k is bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use. R5 if budget

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti - if on sale for ~$105. RX560 soon & looks good
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA and drop settings for some games
>1060 - Gets outperformed by the RX 580; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - not worth the extra cost for Gsync, except in certain cases
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon.

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS on a retailer page to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX is often cheaper as the board+case is usually less
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Good air cooler is almost always wiser than an AIO

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/F4TqJV
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N85P11559&cm_re=b350m-_-13-144-019-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/PxtqJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/r3vCcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/w6y3XH
pcpartpicker.com/list/rmvCcc
amazon.com/dp/B01LJUNMYK/?tag=pcpapi-20
bestbuy.com/site/dell-24-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5655614.p?skuId=5655614&ref=199&loc=8BacdVP0GFs&acampID=1&siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-9j.vLvvPWqw69m6d4pcBjg
pcpartpicker.com/list/gvZFhq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

reposting from Going to purchase all the parts tomorrow. So I'd appreciate some last minute opinions.
pcpartpicker.com/list/F4TqJV
Budget is $800.
Mostly gonna be focusing on emulation (Dolphin and PCSX2, no cemu) and playing games from around 2010.
It might be a little much for what I intend to use it for, but I always like the option and want to get the most out of my money. I just want to know if I can get something better for cheaper or for the same price.

For ASUS Prime X370-Pro should I put gpu in the slot away from cpu and m.2 slot if i am gonna use a m.2 ssd? Do I still need extra fans?

Whats a good 1440p 144hz monitor with freesync? Also should i wait for freesync 2 before i get a montior?

dude why are you even asking that? It seems like you have that answered yourself. It's your PC. Pick the layout of the M.2 and PCI Slots that you want. Simple.

I mean for emulation it's overkill. You can make like a $450 i3-7350k HTPC using the igpu to emulate those. But if you wanna emulate 6-12 games at once, ya that build is good.

Freesync 2 will probably cost way more. They must be 1ms response time and have HDR10 support both to be Freesync2, iirc.
That means QLED, OLED, very high quality VA, and other expensive stuff mostly.
I'm waiting for it myself.. but I'm fine spending $1000+ for a monitor.
In the $400-$600 range there's a few choices. That new Nixeus monitor that's on Massdrop for $400, and the MG279Q. I've heard mixed shit about the Pixio. Idk just look at reviews.

because people said that gpu heat can heat up m.2 ssd and you gotta make sure its in a good spot.

Alright thanks. I'll go check out those monitors now.

>But if you wanna emulate 6-12 games at once, ya that build is good.
Perfect. This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.

Wait.

>Benchmarks are important but, it is just as important to understand what they mean in the real world.

Um.. GPU reviewers test actual gameplay. Perhaps you've heard of a youtube channel called Digital Foundry, or any website that reviews GPU performance for that matter. baka...

btw, refresh rates have reached 200Hz+ (one is a G-Sync monitor), and my 144Hz monitor (XL2430T) didn't come anywhere near $1000. You're just making stuff up now, so I can't take anything you say seriously.

But hey, good luck waiting for noticeable Ryzen optimizations. I mean, they can't be any worse than the Windows Scheduler fix morons thought was coming to make Ryzen soar!

what does ryzen care more about in gayming, dual channel or actual RAM speed? i want to get a 2x8 now but the highest frequency is 2666 while a 1x8 is 3200.

Well I do plan on ordering tomorrow so I have time to spare.

Depending on how important PCSX2 is to you, you might consider going with the 7350k instead of Ryzen. It's like the only use case that a 7350k is even good for. Single threaded performance is king for PCSX2 (and Dolphin as well but Dolphin is much easier to run). I have a 5820k that I have at a modest clock and it's fine for 90% of PCSX2 games even with a fairly low clock but some games can still make it chug pretty badly during certain sequences, just something to consider.

Obviously the 1600 is a much, much better chip for any other kind of PC gaming but if your focus is older 2010-2011 tier PC games and emulation, you really can't do better than the 7350k.

lol.
Ryzen does PCSX2 more than fine.
There are a few issues with AMD GPUs on it, though.

>reddit formatting

Anyone have the recent vidya graphs for Ryzen 5s?

I'm looking to get a new monitor and not sure if I should spend it on a 144hz / 120hz if they can't push anywhere close to those FPS.

>Ryzen does PCSX2 more than fine.
Ryzen tier IPC will be fine in 90+% of the situations in PCSX2, like I mentioned. You can't tell me that a 3.8 GHz Ryzen isn't going to experience slowdowns in certain games though, that's just wrong. It's not Ryzen's fault either, it's just the insane nature of PCSX2 emulation.

R5 can easily hit 144hz but it is mostly dependent on your video card

If you have a 1070 you can do 144hz 1080p easy.

>Single threaded performance is king for PCSX2
What?
As far as i remember that thing uses 8 thread

You should wait to see Vega benchmarks on it and how well that pushes 120hz+ on it or not.

Lots of issues currently are Nvidia's driver.

I've seen tons of games running with PCSX2 on Ryzen and it does 60fps fine. And that's on the 1700 that's just 3.3GHz all core most of the time on it. What PCSX2 game(s) don't run well?

My 1700 is able to stream and play PCSX2 with the best settings with zero slow down, even more extensive games like metal gear solid 3.

Please don't make things up

You're thinking of PCSX3...

Nope. Dual core. I believe it can use a third thread for really basic background shit that really doesn't handle much related to the performance.

It depends on the game. FFXII esper sequences, Tales of the Abyss world map screen, etc. Good luck with those.

Believe it or not, of the thousands of PS2 games that exist, some of them are not that well optimized.

oh right

>Believe it or not, of the thousands of PS2 games that exist, some of them are not that well optimized.
getting a dual core because a few games aren't optimized is stupid

Is freesync worth having past 80hz?

Like half these fucking monitors are all "We have freesync technology!!!" then you go look it specifically and they cap out at something stupid like 30-60hz.

If it's not needed for 100+FPS shenanigans just tell me now so I can end this suffering of looking for a monitor with that caps out at like 120hz -144hz Freesync.

freesync and g-sync are great to have but g-sync is way better but only works with nvidia

if you're a poorfag i would get freesync but if you're the type of person who wants the best everything, get g-sync

The dude is building a PC specifically for emulation and older games. He's like the one person out of a thousand that is going to benefit more from a 7350k at 5.0 Ghz compared to a Ryzen with four physical cores and four logical cores sitting idle while he's voltage limited to something like 3.8 or 3.9 GHz while hitting stutters and slowdowns in PCSX2. Give the man what he wants.

40-75 or 40-85hz range is alright.

I can see a noticeable different from 60 to 85. More so than 85 to 120.

Is 320 a good deal for this its a gtx 1070 XLR8? it would be replacing a MSI r9 390.

R8? I'm building a small mATX comp that I can use for audio production and video compositing. Playing games would also be nice. I have an older 970 that I don't see good reason to replace. I want it to be as quiet as possible. I plan on setting those crazy 3000rpm noctuas on something that doesn't screech.

why dont use mATX user? you can save around $30 on motherboard alone and case too of course

Get the 1700 instead of the 1700x.

That's not much of an upgrade outside of power consumption.
The 390 performance isn't far off from the 1070 in 1440p on like half the games from the past 2 years.

is that a fanless PSU?

Really? I've seen benchmarks between the 2 and the 1700X persistently outperforms its non X counterpart in Single core tasks. While single core performance isn't a be all end all for me, the extra 30$ for a 15-20% single core increase seems justified to me.

No

he's saying to get the 1700 because you can OC the 1700 to the levels of 1700X and now you have a cheaper processor with the same exact power

Well you should get one if you're going for quietness

>mATX
I'm still relatively new to this. This is my first ever build so any specific recommendations and reasons?

no bully

what are some good CPU coolers that are compatible with Ryzen out of box without having to wait for a bracket to be sent?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N85P11559&cm_re=b350m-_-13-144-019-_-Product

something like this, well its cheaper(not $30 like i said tho) but yeah, smaller form factor. and you probably dont need excessive port on ATX like 2nd pci port, so why not get smaller and cheaper build while get everything you need there.

any good leds?

I heard there were serious compatibility issues with the R5 and GTX 10* series cards though?

How does this look.

>Budget
6-700 max
>intended use
Emulators, Modeling programs, games on medium settings (I still primarily play on consoles), preferably a PC that lasts a few years besides upgrading the GPU and some more storage

pcpartpicker.com/list/PxtqJV

I have an extra HDD. And my monitor is 1080p 60hz

i'm telling you now that any "budget build to play on medium settings" today is not going to last a few years. if anything a high end build will last a few years, a budget build will last like 1-2 years before you notice how shit it is

i would upgrade to an intel 7700k besides the ryzen if you do plan to upgrade the gpu in the future. at least with intel you will pay slightly more for twice the performance

anyone?

>i would upgrade to a cpu with two less cores! that way it will last longer =)

How does this look? Gonna order it from chinkland.

Maximum faggotry.

Well, I cant justify getting the 7700k to myself.

Maybe "lasting a few years" is a bit hopeful but I honestly dont plan to use it for much gaming besides a couple MMOs and Overwatch.

I'm only a beginning modeler on a tight budget, is this the best I can do with 700? Should I go above the 1050?

Get a semi-modular or modular PSU. You can often find them for $30-$40 on sale like every other week.
Get at least DDR 2666 memory.
That case is kind of ugly as shit? You could get the Rosewill SRM-01 or Zalman T5.

That's not an awful price for a 1050Ti I guess, but the RX570 is like 70% faster than the 1050Ti for only $55 more.

It's really an overkill build for you, but it's in your budget.

>spending $1000 on ebin chinese floating case
do it and post what you get

Recommend me a CPU cooler for Ryzen that out of box is compatible. No having to get in touch with the manufacturer to send a compatible part

Updated.

pcpartpicker.com/list/r3vCcc

How does this look man? This will net me better performance due to the 570?

Just do some fucking review-reading you useless sack of shit. This isn't spoonfeeding general, your question is basic as fuck.

First time building a PC. How does
pcpartpicker.com/list/w6y3XH
look for playing games like New Vegas or Civ 5 at a roughly $500 budget?
And any recommendations for good but relatively cheap monitors/mechanical keyboards?

Any other suggestions?
pcpartpicker.com/list/rmvCcc

I assume this reply is not intended for me.

Try it again.

>this isn't spoon feeding general
>everyone is being spoonfed in this thread

kill yourself

Should I go with this monitor?
amazon.com/dp/B01LJUNMYK/?tag=pcpapi-20
or this one?
bestbuy.com/site/dell-24-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5655614.p?skuId=5655614&ref=199&loc=8BacdVP0GFs&acampID=1&siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-9j.vLvvPWqw69m6d4pcBjg

Both are 1440p g-sync at 144Hz but I'm leaning towards the Dell since it goes on sale for 400$ every week or so.

Whoops.
Didn't mean to reply

>Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.
I started with a component list and asked for suggestions. I don't know specifics so I asked. How is that against the thread's rules?

Just do some fucking review-reading you useless sack of shit. This isn't spoonfeeding general.

You've asked like 3 times in the thread already and received no replies. In that time you could have done your own research. The stock wraith coolers have been more than adequate for Ryzen. Nobody gives a shit about waiting for AM4 HSF brackets to become available because nobody gives a shit.

Well it certainly isn't against the thread rules.

You gave a shit because you answered my question, which is exactly what I've been waiting for.

You're welcome user.

How have you not read about the wraith cooler being decent yet? Literally watch/read one Ryzen review before you buy it.

Fuck off.

You're welcome again, user.

You're both ever so welcome.

Don't fall for the amd meme

Fuck off.

Fuck the fuck off.

You'll always, and forever be welcome in this general user. We love you. Tell us what's troubling you.

What monitor should I buy?
IPS? TN? VA? MVA????
What's the difference between these???
I'm not a gamer, but would like to have good contrast between light and dark colours...
I don't know much about monitors...
Help...

IPS or OLED

A decent, not too expensive (~200€) 1080 monitor would suffice my needs

I read on Sup Forums that oled consumes lots of electricity...

I read on Sup Forums that the 7700k is the best gaming CPU too

This is actually correct.

Why do you insist on ruining this thread?

I require a motherboard with highest possible FSB bus speed.

Or

A CPU with as large a L3 Cache as possible.

Any suggestions?

The 7700k consistently gets 10+ FPS over Ryzen for gaming.

the Ryzen is better for every single other task, but for gaming the 7700k is objectively better.

It's the "best" for like the next year or two until graphics cards of the next generation leave shit like the 1080 and 1080ti in the dust. The 7700k is a shitty buy in 2017. I'm not saying Ryzen is perfect but investing $400 in a dead socket + CPU is a stupid move. We've been over this.

Adequate-tier. Fuck that keyboard though.

xeons

Can someone recommend me a good cheap mouse that I can mod to be silent? Something reliable and reasonably accurate. Preferably wired. I use claw/finger grip.

pcpartpicker.com/list/gvZFhq

Should I stick with the Zotac, or jump on the 54 dollar sandisc or 53 dollar pny I found on amazon?

Also, I'll need an adapter bracket right?

What's a better keyboard then

I'm not a keyboard autist so I couldn't really tell you. I have a $35 mech. chink keyboard off amazon. TOMOKO or something. Honestly though, membrane keyboards don't even bother me and may even be better for certain kinds of gaming IMO. I much prefer my old membrane keyboard (had it for about 10 years) for FPS gaming.

how long will a 1080 last?

will a mid range card next year beat the 1080?

yes wait for vega

Wrong, but not incorrect.

Those are fucking cancerously expensive server CPUs with more capability than a single desktop could EVER even come close to even 25% max potential.

Do you have any idea how much a Xeon 7 with 4 cores and 60 MB cache costs?

7+ grand.

My fault for not distinguishing between a desktop build from a server build but w/e.

high end commercial use CPU with as large as possible l3 Cache.

What's your budget? Your question is too vague. Would something like a 6800k work?

Really?

I'm building my computer this week so I guess I will just get a 1060... was hoping the 1080 would last me several years but to hear that mid range cards next year are going to beat it, no point in spending $500 when a $300 card next year will be superior

>will a mid range card next year beat the 1080?
Probably about a tie. See GTX 980 vs GTX 1060 for a comparison.

He's just trolling you with the "wait for vega" meme. Note the name.

Budget just for the CPU component is about 1k.

6800k wouldn't be bad, 15 MB cache, but it's still not enough. I would be better off buying a fast possible motherboard and RAM in that case and buying a 7700k.

Cache misses are a constant thing with what I have in mind, but I'm not about to blow 7k on an underperforming CPU just because it has 60 MB cache (underperforming for desktop operations anyways)

My new graphics card is shutting off the pc randomly when playing games but my old one doesn't do that but will occasionally freeze for a moment.

Any idea what might be the problem here so I can investigate more? Doesn't appear to be over heating.

Sounds like a PSU problem.

As with any unusual computer problem it's software>PSU>Mobo>CPU in that order.
The cheapest way to find out which it is is have any entire functional computer of the same chipset and swap out parts until you find the broken part.
You can take it to a shop but the only time i ever did that they said it was the hard drive and it absolutely wasn't then they refused to refund me because "Well the hard drive was indeed faulty".

>Those are fucking cancerously expensive server CPUs with more capability than a single desktop could EVER even come close to even 25% max potential.
buy used
>Do you have any idea how much a Xeon 7 with 4 cores and 60 MB cache costs?
I don't know about 60 MB l3, but I do know E7-2870's go for 45 dollars and they have 30MB l3

But if you're looking for consumer chips, I think Ryzens 18MB are the highest you can get at the moment.