I'm looking for a better distribution of Linux, I don't like using the GUI...

I'm looking for a better distribution of Linux, I don't like using the GUI, but I also want to be able to use programs that require a GUI. Does such a Distribution exist?

macOS

My lord you have absolutely no idea how this works.

maybe a very very basic wm (tinywm? jwm?) would be good

tiny core linux is very basic and has a few minimalistic wm choices, but packages are years old on it

kek

you uhhh install any GNU/Linux distro and disable any window manager, or install one that doesn't come with a window manager by default and then install your own, so that when you absolutely need a GUI program all you have to do is start the window manager via some command like startx or something.

Don't worry, you'll come back to Ubuntu or give up and go back to Windows eventually.

>Windows

>anime

Press crtl+alt+shift+f1 then press
Press crtl+alt+shift+f2
now keep pressing the rest of the f's until you find your xserver
or you can try changing your runlevel to 4 ? 5? hmm dunno... but you can look up starting in text mode and startng x with "startx"

Install i3, and at MDM select i3 instead of Cinnamon

install gentoo

Install Arch and something minimal like i3. You can probably do most of your work in a TTY with tmux, but sometimes having a few terminals open with i3 is nice too. I run my tmux sessions on the computers I'm connecting to, so I generally have two ssh sessions and one local terminal all showing a different tmux session.

Just get i3wm

Why Arch though?

Because most other distros come with a WM/DE which is what OP is trying to avoid, you mongoloid. Gentoo, CentOS, Debian, etc. will work too, Arch is just one example.

tfw tmux is a good session manager but a painful "window" manager

I just wish it was as fluid as i3 in terms of nesting panes, stacking panes, and moving panes around in the tree. Drives me nuts every time I think "I want to add a third pane after these two HERE" and it splits the last one in half instead of distributing them all evenly. Or if I want to move my test server over to the left of the screen without having to close the pane, make a new one, go back to the project folder (inb4 fasd), reactivate the venv, and start the server

Is this what using ratpoison or dwm is like

I've gotten more or less used to the "start scroll mode, page up in history, exit scroll mode to keep working" workflow but desu I should probably figure out a reasonable config with bindings that make it simpler. Also I've put off learning how to select and copy more than one page of scroll back.. I've been working around it when i need it by piping to a file to manipulate there but I feel like that's a cop out.

just get a typewriter you faggot

/Thread

gobolinux master race

a window management DE is what you're looking for, i3 being the best imo