Curious to see what type of desktops Sup Forums is using :~). personally...

curious to see what type of desktops Sup Forums is using :~). personally, i prefer a tiling window manager--it's very efficient. i tried switching back to a floating wm a couple days ago, and i didnt like it at all! but i do use one on my home theatre pc; i prefer that to have a mouse-driven UI. well, excited to see what Sup Forums has been cooking up. namaste

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S60298967#p60299141
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_emulator
macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/how-use-terminal-on-mac-3608274/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

del

my gfs are so cute

OwO

hi sersh

what happened to desktop threads? There used to be like 3 or more a day.

a mod doesn't like them and gets really mad when people post their desktop on Sup Forums

->/wg/

i don't get the whole "shove a bunch of random images" aspects of these threads, but the interfaces and terminals sure are nice
here's mine

This must be bait

I don't like rice it. Just vanilla please.

looks nice. how is plasma 5 coming along? last time i played with it, it was a little broken and theming kind of sucked. have you tried qtcurve?

First time using Linux seriously after a really long while, practicing and memeing around with Xubuntu before trying to install Arch like a big boy

5.9 is pretty stable. As I say I don't like theming my desktop so I don't have any idea of how is qtcurve.

n i c e f o n t s

I like anime girl feet and the GNOME icon is a foot so I like GNOME too

gross! feet are weird!

ew

what window manager is that?

is this the new owo thread

u blind son?

what distro is that?

desktap treds are allowed again?

Why do a majority of windows niggas not know how to rice?

Here's mine. So I just use i3wm (no gaps- gaps is cool but I need the screen space). Tiling managers are cool and all :) - My distro is Linux Mint 18

Hi I am using the enlightenment desktop

Lol that looks great but Arch might not be the best distro for you- don't get it just because it's popular etc. Play around with it a bit. I've personally tried Arch but it isn't the best distro for me so I just stick with Linux Mint for the usability etc.

That looks so cool!

shit taste in anime, user

Pretty fucking stable.

KDE Neon was pretty good last I checked. I switched to openSUSE Tumbleweed and found it to be completely stable, as is Leap.

The colors match the lights on my laptop that I can't turn off since I'm using Linux instead of Windows.

>In Windows I used the Alienware Go Dark mode to turn them off instead of changing the color to black, so now they're stuck blue until I reinstall Windows and change the colors to black instead of just using Go Dark mode.

wrong
arch

jordan, did your pass get banned? or did you just buy a new one for fun

Do the lights waste a lot of the laptop battery?

I have 2 passes, so I can mobilepost without ever getting stuck waiting 30 minutes for pass IP change to be allowed.

I don't know, it's always plugged in at my bed.

reply to my post onogai

10/10 anime, user

haha idiot

Best distro for torrenting and storing anime?

Any

moebuntu

And what is the most /lain/ distro?

I don't know what that is, I only watch anime with lolis in them.

Lain is a loli

I'm interested

Goddamn, you're new kid if you're on Sup Forums and don't know Lain. Though if you want CGDCT, Lain is not for you.

Gentoo

>lain
that show really sucks, so just use any linux distro to be the most lain

Serial Experiment whatever? I've seen the depressed girl a ton but never looked into it.

Looks like you are doing fine without Arch- so what is the point?

You don't seem to understand.

How come this desktop bread hasn't 404'd yet?

Because pic related hasn't come in to post her feet yet.

warosu.org/g/thread/S60298967#p60299141

>not liking cute girls

windows is anti-rice generally

fuck anime

Huh, she's fast. Not feet though.
Not for a few more years, but sexbots are just around the corner so there's still hope.

wow great windows rice

H-hey guys...I wondered over from /lit/ and now I'm curious

What are these windows up on your screens (maybe called terminals)? Does it show you how a certain website is reading what you input? What language is it in?

Since you like reading

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_emulator

Ay pardon? could you clarify a bit? If you mean the terminals then they're just Bash terminals (at least for unix that is)

We use to hack into the matrix

Okay, I'm actually not sure what a bash terminal is. What do you do in it?

It's an interface where you can type in text based commands

Can I see a picture of your file picker and what this triangle looks like on your system?

We basically just complete tasks with it which would not be possible with or not as easy with graphical applications

It's gtk file picker and it's shit. I drag pics from file manager.

a bit different with dollchan

The simplest explanation I can give you is that we use it to tell our computers exactly what to do with direct commands. Instead of clicking buttons on a graphical user interface, we give the computer instructions and what to do. Usually, we use it for launching various programs. We can also use it for copying or editing files or telling the computer to spawn a message that says "I love you" every hour. It's pretty much up to your imagination.

People kept spamming anime and the mods informally banned them.

Please delete this, the IRC client is much less aesthetic

That's actually so cool! I have opened the terminal on my computer but it was blank and I didn't know what to do. Is a bash terminal something different?

I have more questions too but that kind of amazes me.

How do you get it to not be, well, blank? Is there a way it can "read" websites (or other computers)?

What operating system are you using?

Well you can use ssh to remotely use another computer and if you had a certain script you could also read websites too I'd guess

Nice, whenever I tried theming it always changed that triangle to some cancer glyph.

Although bash is unix desu- If you use Windows then you've opened the command line :)

Okay here's the thing, I'm not from here. I use a Mac.

What sort of commands do you like to use? Are they mostly just for fun, or do you get to use them for work too? Sorry I'm so dumb but I'm glad I wandered here

Hi my name is ________
and this is how I do my computing.

Lucky you, you have a real terminal emulator already installed. Use this guide to get your started.

macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/how-use-terminal-on-mac-3608274/

Oh a mac is great too- then you've been using the terminal- the only thing is you have to enter different text commands to do things unlike us unix folks

Oh and to answer the second question you've just posted- both!
We can do all types of tasks!
I even use my terminal to listen to music I have in the .mp3 format of sorts-
Many in the tech industry also use it to work

And you're not dumb you're just learning

Okay, thanks so much!

No problem user :)

Ah okay, very cool. I'll have to look up how to do the mp3 thing.

What do you think is the craziest/most interesting thing you can do in a terminal? Or it mostly just for helpful tasks?

I appreciate that desu. This is the nicest board I've been to on Sup Forums in like 5 years. I'm almost concerned haha.

But I'll drink the koolaid

Technically, these are terminal emulators.
Used to be back in the days before personal computers people had real physical terminal which they used to connect to computers.
Computers didn't have much of a user interface back then. Due . to several design and engineering decisions UNIX systems used text format for almost all the files in the operating system.
You would connect to a computer through a terminal and then what? Just a crappy text interface?
Yes.
So you needed ways to achieve something on a computer with only text and a keyboard.
That's how shell programs developed - these are the programs which take the text you input and do stuff with it. They can help you communicate with the operating system and run other programs (such as text editors, search programs, etc.), and they also allow you to write "scripts" in their own language to automate some of the work.
There are several shell programs in existence, among the Bourne Shell (refereed to usually as sh) and Bourne Again Shell, AKA BASH

We're pretty happy that our desktop thread isn't getting unjustifiably deleted for once.

nice m8

It's really just for helpful tasks but you can do a lot of fun things too. As I've said the mp3 would be one of them- Telnet for example- you can watch an ascii version of starwars and just play around with outputs etc. It' mostly just helpful but you can have some fun in it as well :)- I've mainly just been using my terminal for ssh but you can do a bunch more too

post the girl

Oh and as mentioned you can also automate some of the work with the use of scripts

There are just 3 memes here you shouldn't fall for:
> install gentoo
(gentoo is a linux distribution. it's okay but it's not necessary)
> install arch
(Another linux distribution. many flame wars are had over it for no effect or gain)
> using a terminal is always better
I love using the terminal, and I do most of my work in-terminal, however, terminals aren't always the BEST way to do things, and sometimes it's down to preference.

Welcome aboard

Oh yeah lol lots of flame wars over Arch, Gentoo, etc. I just stick with Linux Mint for usability- what distro do you use?