Are you using a non-proprietary email service, Sup Forums, and if so, which one?

Are you using a non-proprietary email service, Sup Forums, and if so, which one?

And why isn't Startmail recommended by PRISM break?

I just signed up for Kolab. Very nice so far. I hear things about Tuonata too and am intrigued [but also not recommended by PRISM break for some reason].

Other urls found in this thread:

channel4.com/news/if-google-is-free-how-does-it-make-so-much-money
pando.com/2013/12/16/googles-for-profit-surveillance-problem/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nobody? Weird. With such a supposed focus on privacy I thought this would be right up Sup Forums's street. Is there any point in using Gentoo or the like but still using Facebook and Gmail every day?

I never even knew these thongs existed.

Fuck i meant things

Well that's interesting.

Most people use Gmail or Hotmail or Yahoo.

But you can use a non-proprietary email service that doesn't scan every email you send and receive, and that sells your data.

Yes, you may have to pay for it, but you wouldn't be paying more than $5-$10 a month. If that is too much for you then carry on as normal. The only reason proprietary email services are free are because they are making money off your data.

If you're still interested, have a read of this

channel4.com/news/if-google-is-free-how-does-it-make-so-much-money

pando.com/2013/12/16/googles-for-profit-surveillance-problem/

I host my own. You can get Bayesian spam filters off the shelf these days.

Only non proprietary is self hosted. What are you even talking about?

i've wanted to host my own for a while now.

just imagine the awkwardness at a store when they ask for your email and you say [email protected]

Kolab, for instance, will only hand over data if requested by their national law authority. There have been only three requests in the last few years, two from the US, which they refused. They must comply with their national law enforcement agencies, as you would have to with a self-hosted server. That's good enough for me.

And I should trust their words because? that still isn't in any way non proprietary

Agreed, you don't have to. But for those of us who can't host our own, it's a far better alternative.

protonmail and cock.li
all anyone needs

>don't have
Mustn't.

End to end encryption is the only way to have privacy, so do yourself a favour and start using GPG. Trusting random guys because they promise to be nice is not very smart

Proton Mail for me
.ch

B-but, how does one use GPG? It's hard senpai~~ owoooooo

Interesting, I didn't know about this. Thank you.

Do I need email privacy if literally nothing important ever gets sent to me? This includes receipts for stuff I buy

I could care less if someone found out I bought a bike helmet or ink cartridges online

Also wouldn't it be noticed if you suddenly go off grid and totally private

11th post best post

huh?

I tried hosting my own mail server, but literally everyone either marked it as spam or even just fucking dropped it, so I gave up.

How can you not know about them kys ignorant PENIS lover.

Did you use SPF and DKIM? That and a matching HELO host name is usually all you need.

As long as you encrypt your e-mails with PGP, you could even use gmail and be perfectly safe.

>thongs

I use tutanota, it sucks that I can't use an e-mail client, only webmail.

>Are you using a non-proprietary email service, Sup Forums, and if so, which one?
Postfix+Dovecot on my SBC.

roundcube is foss and solid, can be installed on linux.
using cpanel atm though, so not foss all the way through

Except for all that metadata.

unless you're doing like autismo tier encryption $5/month seems a lot considering how much resources e-mail doesn't consume (bandwidth, space, etc.,)
>cock.li
>protonmail
sorry if i rather my professional sounding e-mail not come from either of these... at the very least - Cock.li

I wish my library had white people in it

cause that site sucks tutanota has open source on it you faggot

What is "non-proprietary"? I used Yahoo a long time but it got shittier so I decided to use my webhost for emailing. I'm very careful where and how I post my adresses now.

Yeah, I wished FSF would host a mail provider tho

>professional sounding
What's wrong with airmail.cc?