Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/python.html
stackoverflow.com/search?q=python encoding
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Virtual machine
Speed
Logo

>Logo
it looks like 2 balls were touching each other, the flaccid uncut penises are also noticeable

We're talking CPython, right? Global Interpreter Lock's a bit of a pain.

Devs still too lazy to switch to Python3, cling to Python2 with all their might.
Slow as fuck, everything in python that actually needs performance is written in C anyway.
Shit logo
Shit packaging
Dependency hell with larger programs
"Pythonistas" refuse to learn how programming actually works, think that importing libraries is some magic feature of python and advocate stupidity
> Everything should be written in Python, just abandon everything that compiles
> You need x lines for that?? Python can do that in 2! should be abandoned and deleted from existence immediately

GIL

>Slow as fuck, everything in python that actually needs performance is written in C anyway.
>"Pythonistas" refuse to learn how programming actually works, think that importing libraries is some magic feature of python and advocate stupidity
Are you retarded? If you can find an optimised and well-used (hence well-debugged) module for a given task, you should generally speaking use it instead of coding your own.

It's like you're some basement autist instead of an actual programmer.

Impossible to feel superior to everyone else when typing psuedo code

Slow,shit to deploy, half baked OOP,functional programming, non type system, still war python 2 vs 3

I had a similar experience with this mentality at work today, albeit a different language.

>an exposed method return's a c# datetime object in json
>front end developer wants it conerted to specific format - mm-dd-yyyy with daylight savings time
>ask why wtf
>explains that he can't use the string of numbers since epoch
>confused, I ask him why not
>he patiently explains that angular doesn't have a module for that yet
>look at him tucker Carlson dumbfounded
>just convert it to a java script time object
>with an air of finality he explains that you shouldn't mix pure java script with angular

I contemplate suicide daily.

def __init__(self):

Says it all really

Sup Forums doesn't like it.

t. totally not gay chronic trap masturbater

That's not quite the same. The idiot developer confused mixing angular and raw javascript when it comes to manipulating the DOM with just mixing them. Nothing wrong with writing something that manipulates strings. But if they were so adamant about it they could have written the module themselves.

Ditching Python for Julia

Less modules available than node.js

scoping

>Find a flaw.
motherfucking GLOBAL INTERPRETER LOCK

it's a fucking joke of a language

It's not a serious problem solving language like Java. its a toy language for children

but it sucks lol

Stupid mandatory whitespace that forces you to turn on whitespace visualization in your IDE in order to see if you've spaced the code correcty.

>interpreted

Behind-the-scenes, every variable is a pointer IIRC, which makes lists a fucking pain in the ass;

>>> foo = [1,2,3]
>>> bar = foo
>>> bar.append(1)
>>> print bar, foo
[1, 2, 3, 1] [1, 2, 3, 1]

^^^bullshit

it's just bad.

it filled a niche and did some things but nodejs is simply a better runtime--with tons of useful tools, for scripting on.

>Global Interpreter Lock's a bit of a pain.
Oh boy, do we have a winner here. I didn't care about GIL until I realized what it was doing.
It also is a wontfix afaik

>do i need v3
>do i need v2
>what the fuck is going on
There you go.

>nodejs
oh boy

bar = foo.copy()
Next time read help('list')

These niggas are out in industry while I struggle to find a job. Disgusting.

>python2
fucking kill yourself

is this a therapy session for you? I've never seen someone project so well

everybody here thinks it is shit, so what is the Python alternative that Sup Forums recommends?

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/python.html
It's speed borderlines on obscenity
It is an insult to real computing

Yup, preddy much this but who cares as long as there are numpy and tensorflow to do stuff in pure C++ and CUDA

Encapsulation

why the fuck should it behave differently?

>actually slower than java
>by a factor of 50
wew

this shit downloads tv shows and movies for me automatically and puts the shit into ocd level categorization. literally find me 10 chinese illegal immegrants to do the same thing

Read how a language works before you use it, moron.
Python has its flaws. One of them is an idiotic user base

I'll format my code the way I want to, thanks.

assembly code

>Devs still too lazy to switch to Python3

The a lot of the packages i use haven't been ported to python 3, so i'm stuck using 2.

That's fantastic though.

Some of the syntax is pure garbage. For example, the lack of switch/case and the ternary operator.

>stackoverflow.com/search?q=python encoding

>

The flaw are fuckwits still using python 2.7

Python makes it super easy to just glue in different modules and get things done.

But god help you if you need to do something that import can't solve.

this is CS101 pass by value and pass by reference shit user

the ternary operator exists, it's just 5x more verbose than it needs to be
verbose = True
value = "hello" if verbose else "goodbye"
amazing = "really" if not verbose else "long" if False else "barely" if False else "readable" if False else "statement"

>if not
>if false

it was an example to show how ugly and long the chaining would be, did you want me to do if not verbose 5 times a row instead

ONE WORD: FORCED INDENTATION OF CODE
THREAD OVER

Just think of indents as semi colons on the wrong side

Or

get this

or

just hear me out my man

or you know

just

don't use it

The lack of switch/case is because python relies on iteration instead of cases.
Pythonic switch cases would instead have a list of 'cases' and the switch would be an iteration through the cases against your variable.

Which I think is still dumb, but it's better than a long ass list of elifs.

I think Python has a couple of flaws/quirks, but to me your example is not really an issue:

verbose = True

value = "hello" if verbose else "goodbye"

amazing = "really" if not verbose else \
"long" if False else \
"barely" if False else \
"readable" if False else "statement"

Yeah, the python2/3 split is the worst part about python, being based heavily on modularity and importing as it is, it was a dumb idea to make a new python incompatible with the old style.
They should have at least thrown in some kind of legacy interpretation and then said 'it results in worse performance'.
Then people would be jumping over themselves to port it to python3.