Hyper-V limits

Hey everyone

Can you tell me what limits has Microsft Hyper-V? I mean: things that normally you can't do (for example use LPT in virtual machines).

I'm not looking for advantages and disadvantages

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do my homework for me

It can't teach me how to love

It requires you to have Windows installed.

You cannot do nested virtualisation (like HAXM for Android on a Hyper-V guest). Maybe you can now, last time I checked the nested virtualisation was in the technical preview I think.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization

You can now

trolling?

No , the dude is right about windows part.

it's nonfree and only works on windows.

if you want to pay for the license cost of running win servers then do it. but it's shit and no one but M$ and M$ dick sucking insiders use it for anything serious so gl with any kind of vendor software support.

in all honesty the only positive of using it is support for tap-like virtual bridges on wireless radios.

so if you're a laptop cuck and don't want to NAT your VMs, then go for it. but no one would run windows on a laptop. like who would be this retarded?

No sriov for Linux guests. Iommu pt. Vswitch vmq can be buggy by default.

No USB devices, no physical hardware injection, gen 1 machines boot from IDE only, no cpu or ram changes without shutting the VM down.

I like windows, better than linux or osx. I hate forced updates and non-customizable gui however.

>lpt
google says that is printers and shit..
what is stoping you from passing though a printer?

hyper-v just doesn't do it. You can't expose the host's LPT port to the guest.

You would have to install print drivers & utilities on the host then network share the printer through to guests, which is undesirable in some situations.

Mainly that management relies on RSAT or RDP.
With any sane hypervisor you can either use a webgui (bleh) or SSH.
HV depends on microsoft's crap to be installed...
That being said, the PowerShell modules for hyper-v make it pretty compelling.

>if you want to pay for the license cost of running win servers then do it

You know, you don't need a server version of windows to use Hyper-V. It's included in Pro versions of Windows.

>and no one but M$ and M$ dick sucking insiders use it for anything serious

Why are these neo-Sup Forums kiddies so stupid? Get a job you faggot

>but no one would run windows on a laptop. like who would be this retarded?

lol

Sounds kinda gay.
Why not just use kvm on linux then?

because indians that don't know anything besides windows, and LPT isn't exactly a sought after feature these days.

Places that are using hyper-v probably have networked multifunction printers at the very least.

>if you want to pay for the license cost of running win servers then do it

Hyper-V Server is free.

Not that guy, but I got a legal enterprise version of hyper-v and it's missing basic features like pcie passthrough. So good luck using it with pro. I bet it's even more gimped there.