Mechanical pencils are technology, what are your favorites?

Mechanical pencils are technology, what are your favorites?

My Graphgear 500 .3 just broke from stuck lead inside of it and I'm in need of a replacement pencil. I saw the Kurutoga Roulette .5 and it seemed like a better experience, anyone here have any experience with it?

I have one, it's really nice.
I haven't tried other fancy boutique pencils other than the graphgear 1000 but it's become my favorite.
The whole top portion is plastic, but it balances out the pencils really well, unlike my graphgear, which is all metal and extremely heavy in comparison.

I just get the cheap stuff, haven't actually used one in years by now, I just use a pen.

Me too. Just bic pens.

can we discuss pens too?

pic related is my favorite when paired with an Energel ink insert

Pic related is the god tier writing utensil

Also pilot precise v7 pens are really good pens

Pentel Smash with B lead is my go-to mechanical pencil, better than the Alvin Draftmatic, GG 1000 and GG 500.

Only problem is you have to import them.

I use a knockoff Rotring 600 under the brand name "Red Circle." Pretty okay, I've been using it for about three years. You can get them for like $8 and under on Ali.

seconded
will also throw in the pentel twist erase

I have one in black.
It's nice, the paint is coming off though.

Where the fuck can I get an Orenz Nero if I'm in the states?

Hey they're cheap and ok at least

What's a good pencil if I write really hard?

I don't like any pencils with a lead advance that stays out all the time. Shift Pipe is my daily pencil. I'll probably get a Rotring 800 eventually.

Highly recommend you don't get the 800. The Rapid Pro is better if you don't mind a plastic part and worse design. The 800 has longevity issues and wobbly tip.

when the lead runs out i just throw them away and get a new one from the pack

Just picked myself up some 0.38mm Pilot G2s. Really loving the thin lines.

I have the kurutoga 0.5. I thought it was just a meme, but the difference between it and regular mechanical pencils is night and day. The lines are smooth and the lead NEVER breaks. Would reccommend.

Nice troll user, wooden pencils are shit for writing hard. The tip will continuously break because the wood is inherently soft.

Get a drafting pencil if you write write, something like the Rotring 600.

Pentel P207

So satisfying to write and draw with

Yep same

Post collections, here's mine.

God-tier pencil. I definitely like my 600 more, but this in 0.5 is my go-to desk pencil.

Do those things really break?

I don't like how a wooden pen feels in my hand so I use a $2 mechanical pencil. Well, that's how much it cost when I purchased it in 2004. It wasn't the cheapest they had but it felt pretty comfy in my hand. Light and balanced, with just enough grip.

Someone bought me a $40 mechanical pencil but it was heavy and slippery so I just gave it to my wife who didn't like it either.

What's your favorite of the bunch?
I wasn't a big fan of the kuro togas. They didn't seem to rotate enough for me. I'm interested in the delguard, but it seems a bit polarizing. My current go-to drafting/note-taking pencil is the graphgear on the right.

Which is the best?

pic related is better

Best Pencil I have used. Better than expensive pencils too.

I remember back in school if you had this pencil you were the shit. Even cooler than normal mechanical pencils. Pic related. Then again, I come from a small town, so

>Not using the universally agreed upon best pencils ever made

Yeah they were super popular
Being able to take off so many parts really satisfied my autism in class

uni mitsubishi masterrace

They're not really that good but they kinda look like a pencil so I like them.

why are the tips like that? I can't use them except for the first one (I hold my stuff closer to the tip and never use the grip)

Let's discuss mechanical erasers and graphite cartridges too.

HB or 2B? (for mechanical pencil)

rotring 600 because i hate myself

found out my lads 2dollar fountainpen was superior

I've been using the same Parker Urban Classic for a good few years now and I can't see myself moving away from it. It's really heavy but that's what I like about it, feels more comfortable than most mechanical pencils I've used.

You guys are not wrong but I would turn both of these down for the tri-writes, so damn comfy when you're holding em

What leads do you guys recommend?
I don't mean size I mean brand

Rotring 600 of course. An iconic classic of drafting/mechanical pencils.

Le kurutoga maymay at work and rotring 800 at home

I've owned and used em all. rotring is nice aesthetically but not that comfortable. the best functionality + comfort is the uni alpha gel kuru toga collaboration pen. uni makes the best grip, kuru toga makes the best pencil internals. graph gears are alright if youre a noob and just buy whats available to you irl but if you order online get a kuru toga.

This one is actually not bad because of the good eraser but honestly, just use a separate eraser entirely and get a rotring or kuru toga.

All the tips are slid except for the Kuru toga because the rotating lead meme is mushy, and the delguard because the lead retracts automatically. The Graphgear has the longest tip if released.

Flashback to elementary school

>uni alpha gel kuru toga

What's the fourth one from the right?

Just get 0.9mm or THICCer and you'll be fine mate

I'm using the Faber-Castell grip II for 2 months now.
Always used this brand for school and college.

I use Camlin Nouvel, it’s cheap though

almost finished my undergrad using this pencil since 11th grade.

Those are super shitty.

Pentel Smash is the end game pencil even though it's probably going to stop getting produced which is a shame.

Pic related is coming soon

Is Parker(tm) a meme or is it good?
I think this would be their first mechanical pencil ever.

that's ink though

I used to have an eco friendly uni mpen before and it's made up of recycled newspaper. It's the best one I've used so far but they're no longer available. Shattered into tiny pieces.

2B, I prefer the softness

>tfw I have a different grip and most mechanical pencils and tablet pens are thicc
>lost my only good pencik
I need a really thin mechanical pencil.
Something that is as thin as a normal wooden pencil that doesn't have that hexagonal finish.

My grip is pic related (normal grip feels unsafe and uncomfortable)

My man. These pencils are the best

Get a Graphgear 1000, you don't need anything else.

recently aquired pen from mathew martin(@mcmpens on instagram) with a g2 bold insert.

When it comes to mechanical pencils, the Japanese do it best. The Germans were damn good at one point but abandoned production to the Japanese.

Murifats can't into elegant design anymore for some reason.

long thick & hard lead stadler

i remember me and my friends used to draw what we called "offensive" comic strips and shit using 0.9mm mechanicals
lots of good memories from these things and that time period in general

Pic related the best tools I've ever used and I've gone through a mountain of these things.
I'd say it's a tie between the Graphgear 500 and the Twist-Erase for the best mechanical pencil.
Twist-Erase is borderline indestructible, I think the one in the pic is over 15 years old and damn nice to hold.
Though I think the Graphgear allows for a bit more control, due to being a bit more front heavy.

Pentel Graphgear1000

I got a box of a dozen of those for $12 on Amazon. Only instead of the smooth grip they have textured ones.
Excellent pencils, love the huge eraser

I like the classic Pentel P2XX series.

Also,
>he uses 0.5mm

Kys

That is my grip as well... Wtf why are we fuckwd up like that. Someone tell me

good value

Kuru Toga Roulette

I use the staedtler. It's a drafting pencil which is why you can adjust what lead is displayed inside but it's also one of the nicest mechanical pencil's I've ever used

It's beautifully designed but the metal they use is very, very soft. Mine scratches and dents so easily. The grip is comfy though.

close, but not quite. tri-conderoga is goat

any love for 2.0 mechanical pencils?

Are they actually that good?
Or is it just because of a marketing campaign and memes?

Whenever I go to a hotel I restock my pen supply

you monster

i use the one on the far left at work. terrible pencil.

Mars micro master race.

Not a fan of the more expensive drafting pentels.

>pentel 0.5 P205

mah nigga

my nigga!!

>Zebra

My man. I love how compact they are.

BLACKED

It's not, there might be an ink model but I assure you I have no ink coming out of my pencil.

Have a Lamy Safari pencil & pencil and two Lamy All Star pens because I got a bit carried away when ordering them
Personally I think I could go down to 0.5mm lead because writing Chinese characters gets tricky as the lead dulls

P205 is so much better
0.5 is the only good size 2bh

I like the pearls better

Half of it is marketing, the other half is actually true. They're the Apple of the pencil world, but not in an awful way.

I remember me and a couple of kids would trade parts to make rainbow colored versions. I was actually surprised when I saw Papermate released a newer version, one that has a metal clip.

If you need smaller point sizes, look at the Pentel Orenz and Zebra DelGuard. They have mechanisms in place to prevent lead breakage.
If you want something larger, try a .9mm mechanical pencil or a 2mm leadholder.
You could also use a woodcase pencil, perhaps one in a lighter grade like H or 2H since they're harder.
If all else fails, switch to an "erasable" pen like the Pilot Frixion

Ticonderogas are generally shit unless you pick and choose the pencils from the packs to make sure you get the ones manufactured in a certain country. Even then, they're only average.

European, Japanese, and Indian pencils on the other hand are excellent.

Posting my 3x3

Is there such a thing as a racheted pencil that automatically rotates the lead so it wears down evenly?

>not using a space pen for daily use

Rotring 600 for desk use
Graphgear 500 for carryaround use
Hi-tec C 0.3 is my favorite pen

Owned various Zebra, Dr. Grip, Alphagels and kurutogas in the past. At the end of the day graphing pencils have the most comfortable design imo, especially if you prefer a thinner heavier body.

0.5 Kuru toga roulette and 0.7 Pilot G2. All you need.

Not sure if a shitpost but the Kuru Toga has existed for a while.

Are you serious?

If you've got proof I'm stocking the fuck up.

Buy a p205 or a zebra pencil that's all you need

What's better about the black?

They are fun for a bit, but the leads usually end up slipping back inside them. Plus, the soft feel of the spring gets annoying after a while.

Their drawing pencils are pretty good. I will have to give their mechanical a try. Is this your favorite from Faber?

How do you keep the leads on the technico sharpened? Do you have to sand them down?

You can get a lead sharpener, they've got little holes that are 2mm wide and you just use them like a traditional pencil sharpener.