/sqt/ - Simple Questions Thread

Ask your simple and stupid questions here.
Remember to check the catalog and read the wiki.

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309169.aspx
youtube.com/results?search_query=installing grub linux windows machine
msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-SLI-PLUS.html#hero-overview
pastebin.com/mfQ0rrzv
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where do I ask complex questions?

How can I dual boot Linux on a Windows machine?

Does mpc-hc not do xml? How do I play back videos with annotations?

Anyone know how to fix this?
Windows Vista x64, tried the desktop and portable versions and having the same problem.

>Vista
Well there's your problem.

When is Ryzen 3 APUs supposed to come out?

How good the APUS will be?
Specially if you compare it to a Intel HD 4600 and what about a GTX 1050Ti?

>Windows Vista x64, Windows 7SP1/8/8.1/10 x64, Server 2008 x64 or later
>512 MB or more of free RAM strongly recommended
>At least 150 MB of free (uncompressed) disk space
Says it works on Vista machines.

First make sure that there is free space (4GB minimum recommended), shrink your windows partition if you already didn't:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309169.aspx

Then, download the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice, I use OpenSUSE and it comes with the choice to install GRUB boot loader.
But first, keep in mind that your HDD needs to be not too old, because GRUB gets installed in the same volume as the firmware, if your HDD is old then it has little free space and the firmware might get overwritten, making booting impossible or even bricking it.

GRUB is the boot loader that allows you to choose which OS to run, when you switch on your machine. I've installed it on a old Maxtor (2008) HDD and it boots fine both OpenSUSe and Win7, but when I tried uninstalling OpenSUSE, windows wouldn't boot anymore (it fucked up the firmware), still, it booted fine after reinstalling GRUB and OpenSUSE.

Everything else is automated by the installer of the GNU/Linux distribution, but if you still aren't sure then watch some YT tutorial:
youtube.com/results?search_query=installing grub linux windows machine

If buying an Android phone isn't an option, how close can a jaiolbroken iPhone 6 get in terms of customization/apps? Specifically battery, irc client, torrent manager emulators ect.

are i.norys hard drives good hard drives?

Why?

Get the remaining vista updates via WSUS Offline and see if that helps, or try rolling back a version of Palemoon. Shouldn't you be running Windows Server 2008 if you want a Vista machine though?

>sell ifone
>get chink androod
>...
>brofit

why do Sup Forums hate botnet?
I know what it is but i just want to know Sup Forums 's reason why they despise botnet so mutch.

I downloaded the x86 version and it works now. Thanks anyways.

whats the best way to dual boot off two separate drives?

Depends what your dual booting. If your dual booting linux and windows install windows first because it causes problems that other way around. There is no special way its like partitioning a single drive but its a physical split.

Is running 3x10TB in raid5 really that bad? Are 10TB drives mature enough yet to store muh chinese cartoons?

is there a free version of parallels access that works as good?

If I translate the Graphics2D drawing context origin to the centre of the screen in java, can I draw negative of the x and y?

I'm planning on finally getting an SSD as my main drive.

Is it possible to use/move my current windows 10 license (windows 7 upgraded to windows 10) to the new drive? I don't want to buy a new license.

It's been so long since the last format and clean windows installation that I'm actually looking forward it.

makes sense. Is grub still the best way to boot up and select which drive to use? I tried dual booting a single drive many years ago but forgot much about it

If you're just replacing the disk drive it won't even matter. You can clone or reinstall.

Thanks! I take that when you reinstall it lets you choose the drive, right?

Grub is what most prefer and what I personally used.

Your Windows key is bound to your motherboard, not install or storage.

Yes, it lets you select a partition or in this case your new SSD.

You can keep your windows install in your HDD for backup porpoises.

can someone recommend some good IDEs for python on windows?

I've been using idlex but it feels a bit lacking

now this is an actual stupid question

Thank you, really helpful.

i tried ubuntu on a flash drive and it everything seems to work apart from one thing which is bugging me, the pointer feels weird to use, it's not jittery but it just feels either overly sensitive or very slow, this is literally the only thing putting me off. why must it feel so uncomfy

Does anyone know a firmware version of Telstra tg797n v3 with the option to ghost the Mac address?

disable acceleration, its on by default.

I used liclipse once.
Powerful but not particularly lightweight.

I generally use Eric though.

I'm unsure what happened, but windows is no longer recognising HDMI audio through my AMD card.

Thus far i've uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU drivers and the sound card drivers with no change.

Only other thing i can think of is to try a linux live image and see if that picks up the HDMI audio so i can eliminate there being a problem with the card itself.

how do you do that? can't see anything in mouse settings

I'd be surprised if even half of these people know what a botnet is. 4chins went to shit.

How do you set up your own VPN?

Any way to stop my ping mysteriously increasing to 900ms during peak times? Up/down speeds seem unaffected.

your ping to what? ? ?

Well local speedtest nodes for a start, online games as well.

get a better isp that handles traffic better or do your homework during peak hours

>be me
>building new computer
>just came across a component placement issue that I didn't think through until now

Does it matter if I don't put my graphics card in the first/top pcie slot ?

usually no
just try it

what homework

Technically usually yes, pretty much all motherboards have only one real x16 slot, the rest are x8 at best. However it should not affect performance of a GPU in vidya.

thanks anons, Im using an MSI board and apparently they are all x16 slots but there are a few tards on other forums saying that the bandwidth is noticeably different

link related : msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-SLI-PLUS.html#hero-overview

wouldnt most mobos support at least 2 at x16?
mine does and its about 8 years old or something

yours looks fine if i'm understanding it correctly

Only HEDT and maybe some workstation/server motherboards have that now.
> X99
Yea like that one.

Home server. Depends on what kind of configuration you want.

is there a 240mm clc that works with AM4 out of the box (as in not having to wait for fucking ever for a mounting bracket to come in via mail)?

Is edge a good browser now?

no and it will never be

it cost nothing to try that. Then you'll maybe consider using a proper OS.

More seriously, sometimes with your mobo there's a software that comes to handle the audio on your system. Realtek audio or some shit like this, maybe you can configure something from this kind of useless software.
Or try to disable your other sources of audio and make the HDMI default one.

Recently bought a new mobo, new ram, new gfx card, new psu, new cabinet, new processor. All in medium range for gaming. Didn't buy new harddisk and mine is old af. i can run every game smoothly like witcher 3, quantum break etc.
But normal tasks like opening chrome and opening several folders takes ages and so does boot up. Could my hard disk be bottlenecking my pc?

Tried on /biz/, but those guys just pump&dump without any actual knowledge of the coins.

I mined ETH in 2016 Q1, and after that forgot about my wallet. I asked on IRC about my coins, and someone stated that I now have the same amount of ETH and ETC which makes no sense to me personally.

Could someone elaborate on what happened during the Ethereum hard fork, and what is the situation with my precious bytebux?

What kind of hard disk? How old? How long in use? What did you do with it? Fragmented? SMART test? If your hard disk is shit, you'd notice (long) loading times in games. Did you experience those?

Yes.

Update; HDMI audio works fine under linux. So its a problem with Windows somewhere.

Is Raspbian a GNU/Linux distro, or simply a Linux distro?

sys restore

Yes. Get an SSD as soon as you can afford it and install your OS + main programs on it.

It utilized GNU corelibs, so it's a GNU/Linux -based OS.

OK, thanks. I could take the easy way out and call it a Linux distro as my profs won't care, but I want to be autistic about the nomenclature.

4 years old, yes long loading times. 500 gb western digital.

If i keep this hard disk and buy an SSD and install os + main programs on it, will it be okay or do i need a new hdd

why are you trying so hard not to buy a new hdd when you've only got a 500gb one right now?

You can keep the old one as a storage drive and install games on it. But you probably shoudn't do that, just toss it into a bin and get a 2TB replacement. Hard drives aren't that expensive.

because i really dont need more than 500 gb.
Thanks for help

What's technologically the best way to kill oneself?

>trying out new USB audio interface
>works, but there's a ton of noise
>unplug, plug back in
>no signal
>plug out
>no signal from microphone (after i switched the source back ofc)
fuck
what do

thank you, i am very proud

If it exist, what's the best video encoder?
I'm looking for one that includes avi/vapoursynth and that has gui in whitch I can live preview the applied filters.
It'd be nice if the program could "translate" the filters parameters into sliders so that they're easier to adjust.

Malwarebytes just blocked a couple of bruteforce attacks from Lahore, Pakistan, coming through my skype. And two from Albania.

Since recently my old skype account got suspended because someone apparently managed to break through, how much should I be worried?

I want to begin using a personal wiki.

I don't care about having to host it myself or it being hosted in 3rd party.

My priorities are ease-of-use and being able to access it anytime, anywhere, and from any device.

I'm gonna try DokuWiki right now (as self-hosted), and was looking forward to check first PBWiki (as a service by 3rd party).

What have been your personal experiences with personal wikis?

I need a tablet with a stylus. What would you recommend?

Under 500 if possible.

guys, i need a molex connection in my case, but my PSU does not have a molex connector. what would be the best converter?
I found some 3pin fan to molex, some sata to Molex and even 6pin to molex...

how do I get rid of my unique browserfingerprint?

Is there ever any practical reason why you would disable hyper threading?

Not unless it's somehow fucking up a legacy program you absolutely need to use and compatibility mode isn't cutting it.

I thought this code wouldn't work because the param 'dest' looks untouchable by this function, but this works. How? How does this code writes 'dest'? Does C++ use magic?
int DDSDecompressDXT1( unsigned char *src, int width, int height, unsigned char *dest ) // DEST param
{
int x, y, xBlocks, yBlocks;
unsigned int *pixel;
ddsColorBlock_t *block;
ddsColor_t colors[ 4 ];

// setup
xBlocks = width / 4;
yBlocks = height / 4;

// walk y
for( y = 0; y < yBlocks; y++ )
{
// 8 bytes per block
block = (ddsColorBlock_t*) ((unsigned long int) src + y * xBlocks * 8);

// walk x
for( x = 0; x < xBlocks; x++, block++ )
{
DDSGetColorBlockColors( block, colors );
pixel = (unsigned int*) (dest + x * 16 + (y * 4) * width * 4); // DEST being used (?)
DDSDecodeColorBlock( pixel, block, width, (unsigned int*) colors );
}
}

// return ok
return 0;
}

How exactly does eGPU bottleneck calculate? According to the figures I've heard, an eGPU setup running through an ExpressCard 1.0 interface has "60%" performance compared to a proper desktop PCIe interface – does that mean you'll get 60% of the performance of the card, regardless of what card it is? Could I get 60% of the performance out of a 1080Ti on my lowly X220?

For FireFox there are plugins like "location guard" and "random agent spoofer".

Depending on what you want to do, it's good enough.

Had a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR in Windows 8 and now all of my boot options disappeared in the Aptio Setup Utility.

Is there anything I can do about at or do I have to assume the worst (harddrive's gone).

What are good books for c# and java?

Python question:
I have a few hundred frames with corresponding attributes (valid_image, size, label, etc. )
Is dictionary the best way to do this? I prefer if i could handle it the same way as Matlab cells.

is windows 7 good or is it just a meme?

Thank you for the tipp with "random agent spoofer" this is exactly what i searched

Is meditation stupid?

pcbg thread doesn't exist so i'll ask here: does ryzen have any compatibility issues with gnu/linux systems or should i just go for intel to spare myself from headache?

there's one way to find out

i've heard otherwise respectable friends mention doing it so my concept of it is that it works

I can never sit still for more than a minute.

Which part of this controls how the text and icons are aligned?

pastebin.com/mfQ0rrzv

try this:
span {
vertical-align: middle;
}

Very slight improvement.

well it's better than nothing

i hate css too

I suppose it is. Thanks for your help! I'll keep testing stuff on this block and see what I can make it do.

How to hack my SSH to put me into root?
There's no password because the login is via public authentication key but I don't have this key and my ftp provider doesn't have access to my SSH login so it's not possible to just reset it.
I have access to everything else though , just not to SSH as root.

If I put four 8TB hard drives into a NAS and put them in RAID10 what is my effective hard drive space? is it 32tb or just 8?

An employee earns a net salary of €140 000 after tax. If tax is levied at a rate of 30% of gross salary, what was the employee's salary before tax?

Well, alright, I managed to get into recovery after all.

Says my drive is locked though.

Bump

I'm finally deciding on DokuWiki or MoinMoin with a local server, hosted on a private part of Dropbox.

Still no suggestions?

Maybe this isn't such a simple question, but where can I find information and resources regarding how I could make translations of VNs? The actual translation part is fine, I just need the technical know how.