Whats the difference between linux and bsd, which one is better...

Whats the difference between linux and bsd, which one is better? I heard there is also gentoo bsd so it would be actually pretty sweat to have it with portage :p

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Linux is actually being used by someone outside its developers.

Portage is fundamentally based on ports from bsd

Lurk for two years before posting, fuck stain

nobody actually use those, they run in vm and rice their desktop with anime shit, take its screenshot and save image to their windows 10 desktop then share it in every fucking unrelated thread on Sup Forums.

Better use hentai like a boss /s

Im on chan since two days

linux is a kernel, bsd is a operating system

>/s
reddit.com/

You know that meme that Linux is developed by hobbyists in their free time?
It's true for BSD.

and you are a fucking retard.
linux is an operating system, go read tanenbaum or stallings books on operating systems

>Whats the difference between linux and bsd
Different projects, different decisions. Quite many of them.

> which one is better?
If you want to think of it in fairly broad terms, Linux wins hands down. Gets used far more often, has far more features and code contributors.

The niche where BSD is better than Linux isn't terribly easily apparent. But I certainly hope it remains used. We always need more than one thing to exist.

> I heard there is also gentoo bsd
Yup, but it's something only very few people use.

It was an offer / adaptation by the Gentoo community to the BSD community to bring the more powerful portage to BSD where the ports system was imitated from.

It didn't really stick. Probably has less users than Linux-side alternative portage implementations / augmentations like entropy, paludis, pkgcore which already aren't used very often.

Linux is for people, BSD is for corporations to take the code, make minor changes and sell it as closed source software to people.

GNU/Linux is the operating system.

Linux is just the kernel. ;)

>I don't use it so nobody must be using it

fuck, i hate Sup Forums.. it's just people spouting the same retarded memes for years now, even worse than Sup Forums

BTFO

hard to argue with that

BSDs aren't even used by their developers.

ITT people who have no clue

PS4 uses a modified BSD, hence BSD is the best gaming OS and is used by millions.

linus said the operating system is linux and he made it
he said stallman is a stupid sperg

linus is a stupid sperg

without stupid sperg linus we would be using epic turd kernel aka nothing and Sup Forums would use windows

>implying we wouldn't get fucking annoyed and put our script kiddie skills to complete GNU/HURD

>implying script kiddies should be allowed anywhere near kernel programming

Hold up. If I install Gentoo with Linux on logical partition, and I switch the kernel for BSD one, will it work?

didn't we try to make our own distro and fail miserably?
At least there was an attempt.

nobody would know about GAAAHNOOO if it wasnt for linux. the only reason why stallman got anywhere is because of linus
there wouldnt be anything to complete and stallman would be dead because no one would have donated any free open-source food to him

Making a distro is comparatively easy, it's just a lot of work.

Gentoo is the distribution of the kernel, not the operating system. GNU is the OS.

everything here and that the fact that BSD is held closer to the UNIX way of doing things than Linux or many other UNIX/UNIXlike OS-es.

we don't like bsd because of it's cuck license
/thread

Are you saying that gentoo doesn't come with any GNU components?

Protip: You're a fucking idiot.

>Stallman still will would've been a skinny sperg if Linus had never made the linux kernal

Sounds like things would've been better.

Doesn't answer my question senpai

>poorly worded question
>gets mad if others don't understand
this is autism

Calling gentoo a distribution of Linux(the kernel) as opposed to Linux(the operating system) or GNU/Linux is not only wrong, but fucking retarded regardless of what side of the debate about the name you fall into.

It isn't wrong because you can compile it however you want, just like the post suggest, even without the Linux kernel completely.

Which only further serves to demonstrate why it's wrong and gentoo isn't a distribution of the linux kernel. Gentoo is an operating system distribution, not a kernel distribution.

>GNU uname reports GNU/Linux
News at 11.

I'm tired of these threads

>Sony provides low level APIs on top of BSD to make talking to the APU much more efficient
>retards somehow think this is a virtue unique to BSD and not just something that Sony implemented

It is a software distribution, that is what distro means. The kernel or OS under it doesn't matter, for example even those pirated versions of Windows can be called distros because they bundle their own software (mainly the crack).

Linux is a usable desktop OS.

GNU/Linux*

Linux itself is just a kernel.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as piracy, is in fact, unauthorized copying, or as I've recently taken to calling it, unauthorized sharing. Piracy is not the act of obtaining an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted work, but rather robbery or criminal violence at sea.

Many computer users make unauthorized copies every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the act which is widely performed today is often called piracy, and many of the people who do it are not aware that it is basically copying, and not stealing.

There really is a piracy, and some people are doing it, but it is just robbery at sea. Piracy is an act of theft: an action at sea in which goods are forcefully transferred from one ship to another. Piracy is important to be aware of, but unrelated to unauthorized copying; it can only function at sea. Piracy is normally not used in combination with unauthorized copying: the two acts are basically seperate. All the so-called piracy is really unauthorized copying.

"BSD" is a family of operating systems based on common roots, each with its own kernel and userland. "Linux" is a colloquial term for operating systems that use Linux as their kernel. They also generally use the same programs in addition to the kernel to form the OS, the difference being what programs they include or don't and the settings they provide, whereas BSDs share some programs but also have their own independent versions of others. Which is better depends on the task at hand and personal preference.

I thought macOS was built on top of BSD

Tfw you don't know what a apu is kms

Yes but it is based on so many os's like nextstep, darwin and so on look it up on wikipedia

Darwin's not a separate OS, it's OS X minus the proprietary stuff

I'd imagine if Linux didn't come around BSD would have taken off more

GNU*

why
would you want a distro
when you can build it yourself why
would u want linux when
you can have a pure unix bsd

*Linux

>GNU tool spouts GNU/MEME
B-BTFO g-guys...

both are shit desktop OSs

Something like this.

Sometimes people took BSD code and make projects like PFSense or similar. In my case I don't really know anyone who use BSD as they main operative system,

The difference is that linux isn't a time machine.

Let's make our pre-suicide checklist:
-shit hippie basement philosophy
-retarded circlejerk irc
-Total dogshit 386 tier hardware
-doing "real" "computer science" "work"
-Click 10 years just passed

You now have everything you need to per-emptively kill yourself, but before that happens, imagine if every time someone opened your room's door, 10 years passed. Click, 10 years. When you use BSD, it doesn't really matter what year it is, because it hasn't changed during its entire life because they found out it is just easier to jerk off, and pretend you don't need drivers, software, click there goes another 10 years, or anything else. You think I'm full of shit yet we actually have some time travelers in 2017 who think it is 1987 because they've completed the above checklist. You can also prolong the suicide because according to your time machine mental gymnastics, you're still an elementary school student so all your friends haven't made any money by now. The BSD circlejerks hungry for new losers to consume to keep the cycle going after old ones kill themselves keep themselves in check by staying as stupid as possible. The only way to stay this retarded for this long is to have the above checklist laid out for you in advance.

So you can make $70K starting and retire by the time you're 35, or you can jerk some other sperg's dick dry until you don't even know what decade it is. That's basically the difference.

you know what's sad

i recognize you and this isn't pasta

The only way to solve the BSD problem is going to be by cutting welfare and encouraging easy suicide. Otherwise with the checklist well in order making a toxic milkshake blending up perfectly with the hipster movement telling losers that the way out is to spend 60 years "fighting the good fight" by idling on IRC and refusing to use any piece of software or website made after 1990, ending up with them legitimately thinking they're superior because they have shitty ideas in their head. They think the "winner" in this situation is whoever has the shittiest and most degenerate ideas. Although you don't want to get 100% of them gone, you will need a few for flipping burgers and the jobs nobody else wants to do. Look for a 98% suicide rate or so.

True fact

Sauce?
What PCFirstTimer video is this?

Forgot your (You)