Why should i use gentoo linux Sup Forums

I m currently using Archlinux and Windows 10,
Sup Forums seems to like it alot.

Other urls found in this thread:

devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/
gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Distros don't matter user.
If you haven't figured that out by now AND you're running Windows 10 Gentoo isn't for you.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

Indeed, but Gentoo is definitely the best.

Sorry daddy, but I like Gentoo. Maybe send the devs an email and ask them to rightfully place GNU at the start?

>Gud package manager if you don't mind compiling.
>Setting up a binhost is easy as fuck.
>Super minimal.
>Good for a personal server and on your everyday carry craptop.
>Since it's all source based and has to be manually installed, you could even install it in chroot on your phone.
>You'll learn a lot about Linux and how it works.

>being this butthurt cause you can't install an OS

Continue to use Arch if you had no problems.

Gentoo is very nice when you need it. Which is something you can usually guess in advance.

If you have no reason to suspect you need Gentoo, don't bother switching.

>You'll learn a lot about Linux and how it works.
hahahaha NO NO NO that's what ARCH is for you idiot

Exactly. Arch is way more difficult to use. Gentoo users are skiddies.

arch still uses xorg?

Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python, ruby, gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't.
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro.
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub.
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros.

there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.

Arch doesn't come with a display server by default

Gentoo is just a meme. Only 1% of Sup Forums actually use it.

Can you use pacman on Gentoo? and dpkg?

If you install Gnome and I think KDE with their respective login managers, it uses Wayland by default. Smaller projects like MATE and whatnot are sill using X.

see

i see

i haven't seen or had to configure xorg for years now using gnome

Yes, but Portage is the literal master race of package managers, so why would you do that?

The only real reason to actually use Gentoo is if you're installing it on some lesser used architecture instead of your standard x86 like on PPC or MIPS. Then you can see an actual, perceptible performance difference

>spend days compiling all necessities on a craptop
>hurr durr I saved 0.3 seconds and 2MB RAMZ when launching Firefox hurrrrr

I don't have a link to it but I remember a few years ago reading some article a guy wrote about his experience with using Gentoo on some old PPC servers or something and he found the difference between using Gentoo and Debian (Or maybe it was Yellow Dog) was more than a few minutes.

>more than a few minutes
>takes hours to compile the kernel which updates nearly every week

gg gentoo. gg

Well, you wouldn't be updating servers every week and a few minutes of performance time really does add up on servers if not on desktop.

>reddit tier rms + gentoo picture
delete this, rms would never say that

There's way more to compiling shit yourself than just a performance gain. Also the only things that require hours of compiling are a DE and a proper browser. For browsers you can use the binary, and you won't be recompiling your DE too often.

Takes literally less than an hour on my crappy edc ideapad

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Git rektd

There isn't a need for xorg configurations anymore as it's been autodetecting for like a year

Having this much autism shouldn't be legal.

go back to r*ddit you stupid fucking newfag

>everyone who actually cares about their OS is an autist ecks dee

I can do it too, homo

I should probably hop on over to gentoo from arch since I already can compile the kernel in under 2 minutes. I've been using arch for like 10 years though and I'm comfy with it. It'd be nice to have a root bcachefs install on gentoo though

Nobody actually likes Arch or Gentoo. But because of the difficulty of the installation processes, these distros are very memeful.

Richard Stallman, fyi, has never endorsed gentoo or arch and is actually against them both.

>Nobody actually likes Arch or Gentoo
I unironically love Gentoo.