/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Current CPUs informations:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use, R5 if on budget.

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in some specific games atm (Civ6, RoTR, Rocket League)
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/gvZFhq
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/3BnFhq
overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-6700k-4.0ghz-skylake-socket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-581-in.html
overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-7700k-4.2ghz-4.7ghz-guarantee-oc-kaby-lake-socket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-630-in.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202280&cm_re=580-_-14-202-280-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/8HPWd6
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/
pccasegear.com/products/38411/pccg-ryzen-7-1700x-bundle/
pccasegear.com/products/38127/pccg-intel-strix-gaming-bundle/
pcpartpicker.com/user/Ayz/saved/pymzyc
youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I need a motherboard with a high as possible FSB bus speed. higher than 2400 MHz pls. Something that can utilize DDR4 Ram to the fullest or at least as close as possible.

pcpartpicker.com/list/gvZFhq

Should I jump to a 570 or wait on the 560s to roll out?

Also think I can get 7 to work on this? Cause I really don't want to fuck with 10, not liking the lack of control I'd have over that.

An awkward period to plan for mITX, when the ryzen boards come out pair them with Vega does that sound good?

Please rate my first build /pcbg/

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/3BnFhq

Ended up going with RX 480 as I picked it up for $320, which is actually ~cheap~ for Australia.
Skimped a bit on peripherals also but idgaf. I'm a poorfag and the Aussie prices have already obliterated my original budget.

>How do I know if a CPU will bottleneck a GPU or not?

TL:DR; there's no quick and easy way of telling. The best advice is to look through logical increments and their best pairings of CPUs and GPUS.

I mean aside from that you can always buy a bunch of GPUS and CPUS and compile the data yourself, but that costs money and time.

>logical increments
Take this site's advice with a grain of salt. They are known to do paid promotions.

Dell u2415 any good??

Why not the G.Skill Trident ZG.Skill Trident? 10 dollars less on ram

and then a combination of
Western Digital WD10EZEX and a sandisc 120 ssd? That's 50 dollars less on storage.

No monitor just sitting around and gotta get a new one? No buddy with a spare one you can borrow or buy cheaply? You're a self proclaimed poorfag, think like a poorfag. Lie cheat and steal your way to a better computer m8.

>Take this site's advice with a grain of salt.

Shouldn't that be a given for any advice gathered freely anyway?

There is an easy way of knowing
If the GPU usage drops and one core hits 100%, chances are that its the CPU which is limiting performance at the moment
But that depends entirely on the game, settings used,...

Grab a G4560 (or wait for ryzen 3) if you want to go cheap and don't mind a bit of stuttering
FX8300 is also a good choice if you don't need huge single core performance (most games don't need more than that), as it beats an i3 while also being cheaper
Ryzen 1600 or 1600x (if you don't want to overclock) is currently the best for gaming
1700 is useful if you got other stuff to do with your PC or just have some more money to blow
1500x if you want to go cheap

Is there any reason to get a: overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-6700k-4.0ghz-skylake-socket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-581-in.html

over a: overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-7700k-4.2ghz-4.7ghz-guarantee-oc-kaby-lake-socket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-630-in.html ?

I'm not sure why they are the same price. Will the Karby Lake require better cooling?

when can we expect to see cheaper 4k monitors

My ideal build

pcpartpicker.com/list/

Has all the best parts with room for expansion with the big psu

you missed out. amazon had the 1700X last night for the same price as the 1700

fuck what? not that guy but im a prime member and I was looking up 1700s a few days ago and amazon didnt bother to tell me there was a deal? fuck looks like im getting the 1700 instead...

also, how do you guys feel about used/open box components? are there things that are always ok used or components that shouldnt be bought used?

Is this the best 580 on the market? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202280&cm_re=580-_-14-202-280-_-Product

I thought ryzen doesn't have integrated gpu? Why does x370 motherboards have hdmi ports?

i would only get used from places that have a very good return policy, like "fulfilled by amazon" or bestbuys open box warehouse

what about microcenter?

also another general question. I'm struggling to find a good motherboard that doesnt have bios failures and shit reviews. seems like half of the AM4 mobos are either garbage or you have to pay $200 for it.

>tfw would build a AMD pc today if the fucking rx580 wasn't their flagship
I want Ryzen, but fuck, I really don't want to have to go Nvidia just to play 1440p

vega is in ~2 months

I've been waiting for Zen since Christmas of 2014.

if it was genuinely 2 months away, then I'd probably be able to wait it out. but knowing AMD, it'll be 3-4 months, and the first month will have no stock and boosted prices

if I see a 1070 or 1080 for under $450/$600 CAD, I'm pulling the trigger

i guess you're right, 1060 would do it for me so i am in a even definite position to not wait

ok heres my parts list pcpartpicker.com/list/8HPWd6

i havent built a computer in years. I dont plan on any modern gaming, i mostly do 3D modeling/drafting, A/V encoding editing, and graphical work. I have some SSDs (and M.2 drive) already so i didnt add any to the parts.

is what I picked too powerful for what I'll be using it for? price is ~1000 now

ryzen r7 1700 already has a good stock cooler, hyper 212 evo won't be a huge upgrade over it. also it's obsolete, cryorig h7 is a better pick for the same price.

i would also change the hdd to toshiba p300 2tb and get a nicer case. the rest is fine.

I waited for Zen since 2013.
No one out-waits me, faggot. fuck off.

If anything the 212 Evo is worse. Yeah it'll cool better past the stock cooler's limit, but only by making more noise. If you limit the 212 Evo to an RPM that doesn't make more noise than the stock cooler, it cools the same or worse even.
212Evo only cools decently by being stupidly loud. It's a shit cooler.

>RX560 STILL NOT FUCKING OUT

Does anyone have that one webm of the computer with a shit ton of switches to flip to turn it on? I saw it here a while ago

Just put together an Ryzen build and it consistently freezes after a while using it.

Pic related, except for M2 drive and case, which have not arrived yet, instead using an old 120GB SATA SSD and random uATX case.

I have updated the mainboard's BIOS to F2 to try and fix this. It did correct the temperature readings, but not the freezing issue. Otherwise haven't changed any BIOS parameters. Ryzen Master reports normal temperatures (< 50C) at the moment of freezing.

Any ideas?

Forgot to say, this happens under both Linux & Windows.

I have no idea what I'm doing
What's the best way to mount shit to wood if I don't have any case hardware

Run some y-cruncher NTT
Underclock your memory as low as possible
Try single sticks

I would run a ramtest and check parameters

how well does ryzen use emulators? i want to try ps2 and cemu

I had a pair of dead sticks that perfectly handled 24 hours of memtest but immediately crashed y-cruncher

i don't know much either but you need standoffs for your motherboard

On an AM4 board, how can someone tell which USB 3.0 ports are connected directly to the CPU and which are connected to the Chipset?

Some manufacturers list it on the specs but Asrock doesn't, for example in pic related.

Careful with that RAM.

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

I'll try memtest.

How does y-cruncher work? If it fails, does it indicate memory problems, or could it still be something else?

I can't find a 390x for sale in my country (Australia) , what should I get instead?

>DDR4 3000 memory

None of you guys noticed he did not post his part list but the generic link?

I was like: "Holy shit what a coincidence! This guy is making a build exactly the same as mine!"

Y-cruncher just puts extreme and well varied load on cpu and ram simultaneously so it does not narrow it down beyond these.

Is XFX R9 290 ok for modern games? I want to play some but don't want to spend money.

Ok. Thanks. I'll try single sticks, then memtest.

Fine for basic stuff like OW, CSGO, WoW etc.

Won't be able to play new stuff at top settings though.

For top setting I need 1070, right? It costs like 4 times more.

That should be a problem, no? Just a bit slower.

I had a 280x that was ok with things like maxed out GTAV in 1080p. Much newer stuff might be a bit much for a 290, but its still pretty capable, just not that great.
I'd recommend getting an rx 580 if you want 60fps maxed out 1080p for pretty much anything out right now.
1070 is more for higher hz monitors in 1080p or 1440p.

im curious about this too. namely how to make sure it is grounded so you dont fry it accidentally.

i mounted an old machine to a large rectangle of plywood at my last job. never bothered to figure out grounding though, and eventually it succumbed, but i dont know if the hardware died (as it had already had issues) or if it was static or what.

should be printed on the board, but im not so sure if this board would have it since its trying so hard.

should also be in the manual. it might be a cryptic naming scheme/difference for the cpu vs. chipset ones, but it should be there none the less.

connect all motherboard and other component screws (or wherever it's supposed to be touching case metal) and PSU with a wire.

Shhh :)

but then where does the wire terminate? can you just secure it to the housing of the PSU?

thanks guys, I got rid of the cooler. I'm gonna go to Microcenter today to see if I can find any of these parts open box/discounted. Also it seems like I will need some extra sata cords since some of these components are OEM

My next build if I'm going to change anything i might change to a ryzen processor

Nvidia Volta in Q4
Vega is literally DOA

pccasegear.com/products/38411/pccg-ryzen-7-1700x-bundle/

or

pccasegear.com/products/38127/pccg-intel-strix-gaming-bundle/

or neither?

Whoops forgot link

I would go with the strix bundle it seems like a better deal and comes with ram aswell

Intel is better if your build is for gaming but ram is bad in that bundle

Not even meming, That is pretty much where i'm at now.
I should have bought pascal after the prices stabilized but i kept thinking vega was just a few months away and i was going to regret it.
Fuck it. I'm going full fanboy, i'll just upgrade when the new nvidia comes out.

They're for compatibility when the APUs come out.

Wait am I missing something if you buy the parts separately in the strix bundle it's only 626 dollars why would you get either

i thought only the ryzen cpus were heavily ram dependant

The bundle comes with corsair vengeance ddr4 2113 2x4gb ram

that is correct. Still why not purchase better ram when price difference is pretty small and your build is quite high end?

probably missing the region, Australia

i know, i mean the ram seems alright and i didnt like intel cpus were that dependant on ram clock speeds

Australia prices.

try to save a couple bucks i guess, i dont like buying into vapour stats so if it doesnt actually make a difference i wont buy, but fair enough if it actually matters somewhat. I just remember with ddr3 the difference between 1600mhz and whatever other inane number was close to 1 fps max.

What do you guys think of this build I might switch the processor to a ryzen but it will probably be my next build

Intel will reward faster ram in some games
youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y

Ok, thanks.

It will make performance difference. Not so much as with ryzen, as ryzen with slow ram is really bad, but still a noticeable difference. Anyway, 8gb is not enough for a future prove build.
Don't overpay for some parts and then save on others, make a balanced build.

Because it's good enough for what it's doing if you don't want to spend all your money

its 16gb. what im saying is its the cheaper choice and seems balanced.

wow, is that just poor optimisation or something significant?

It just depends on the game engine.
GTA V is a pretty decently optimised game though.
You can run it on

Don't see anything on the board.
On the manual the USB3.0 ports are named USB3_1 USB3_2 USB3_3 ... USB3_8

Is there a way to check it on the BIOS or on Windows?

>and ancient dual cores at the lowest settings
nah, all the updates killed that

APUs

Well it's not like i needed an excuse to pirate, but that'll do.
Hey remember when updates for games you bought were optional?
What weird concept

Ryzen
The 7700k runs hotter than the surface of the sun and performs far worse in everything that isnt gaming
And the 1700x also performs better in a lot of games

>Amd shill youtuber as a source

Perfectly fine, even at 1440p

ANUDDA SHOAH

What GPU should I upgrade to? I have a 1440p 60fps monitor and an i5 4670k at 4.4GHz.
Coming from a 2GB 770, which has worked fine for 1440p on everything but the latest and most poorly optimized AAA and 3D indie titles.
Looking at around 300 USD or less, which I know I can find a used 1070 for. But looking at options.

Will almost max out most modern games at 1080p and still runs perfectly fine at 1440p
nuDOOM for example runs at 90fps maxed out at 1440p
And Ultra settings are a meme anyway
It can be pretty hard to see a difference between high and ultra, without zooming in on a screenshot

I would either go with the 1070 or the 1060 both are great cards and if you can't f8nd a 1070 for 300 dollars you can get a good 1060 for that easily

>ryzen is better in gtav aka the most intel/nvidia friendly title
Suuuuure, these tests are absolutely legit. Especially considering EVERY comparison on youtube has Ryzen behind 10-15fps in GTAV.

If you can get a 1070 for $300 there are no better options.
AMD only has low and midrange cards.
The FuryX is about as fast as a 1070 but it's kind of rare and not going to be much cheaper than that.

RX580 8GB (or 480)

T. AMD shill

And now show me not some cherry picked games, but those that people actually play:
dota 2 - first place on steam
CS GO - second place
PUBG - third place
Arma 3, Dayz, DCS - one of the most popular sims
WoW, Guildwars 2 - MMOs

In all these games intel will destroy ryzen.

OY VEY

What do you think about such build for 1080@60 gaming? Should I wait for Vega?

intel gets 5x the fps?

Shieeett, I only get 500fps in CS:GO instead of 510

The 1060 is a really solid card I have one with a 6600k i5 and I haven't come across much I haven't been able to play on ultra

>Cinebench
Awesome game, dude! Can't wait for Cinebench 2!