Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.11.tar.xz
gnu.org/
linux.com/what-is-linux
gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Please stop!

No, you.
It's basically the GNU system with Linux added.

I'm not calling my SystemD/Linux system 'guhnoo' though.
More of my core system is SystemD than GNU coreutils and GCC now.

Moreover, wasn't Stallman's big gripe with 4-clause BSD due to the advertising clause? isn't forcing/requiring/bullying people into saying that their Linux distro is GNU/Linux the same shit?

I don't use GNU, I use musl and busybox.

Stop using Linux if you don't like the name.

Why do you want us to stop calling Linux, Linux?

When people say "Linux", they mean the whole GNU/Linux system, not the kernel.

How is this relevant to this thread? Obviously you're not using GNU/Linux.

Someone post the pie diagram of LOCs for different parts of a modern linux distro.

GNU/Linux*

Also how does it matter? When you install 2 TB of random software on Windows, you're still using Windows.

>Also how does it matter? When you install 2 TB of random software on Windows, you're still using Windows.
The difference is that Windows is an operating system into itself, while GNU(without HURD) is just a pile of tools.

Linux is also just a operating system kernel and useless on its own.

Nobody says "Gnu" because it sounds like something an autistic child repeats to himself.

Popularity of an error doesn't make it the truth tho.

By that analogy GNU would be the random software.

You need to realize that GNU is the system and Linux just a kernel. Both GNU and Linux can run on their own (GNU with a different kernel, Linux in a different operating system), but the combination of these, GNU with Linux, is GNU/Linux.

By that analogy Windows would be the random software.

Nope, it's Linux. GNU is free software, so as long as you don't get bogged into trademark issues or something equally silly, you can take all the code, add your own kernel and call it whatever you want.

Except that it isn't 'Linux'.

Take Android, it's an operating system that uses Linux. Android contains the same amount of Linux like GNU/Linux systems on the Desktop.

Or are you trying to tell me that Android runs on top of a full blown 'Linux Desktop'? I hope not.

It works both ways. Just like Linus is free to call the combination of GNU and Linux Linux, so Google is free to call their combination of Android coreutils and Linux Android, since Linux is ALSO free software.

Linux is a kernel. Stop trying to make more out of it.

It's both a kernel and an operating system. GPL doesn't require you to include all the involved projects in the name of your product.

Stop mollesting children.

Linux is a kernel, not an operating system. Linux on its own is USELESS.

Linux is both, because Linus chose to call the combination of GNU+Linux Linux. That's all there is to it.

Who does he think he is to rename an operating system he didn't wrote after his kernel?

This is Linux: cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.11.tar.xz
Show me how you run it on your computer without any other program. If Linux is an operating system, you should be able to solve this.

Stop whining you little bitch
It's Linux, get over it

Someone who read the license? GPL does not contain provisions regarding what the name of the product should be, even if it contains code from other GPL products. You're free to take linux(the operating system), change a few random things and call it whatever you want.

What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

There is no GNU system. GNU software is just a collection of software running in top of the Linux system. Deal with it.

an operating system isnt an operating system if it has nothing to operate
linux is the operator
gnu is the tools
linux does nothing on its own but the proper term is linux and stallman is fat, stupid manchild

GNU is a bad name, it's a lame animal
linux is catchy

There is no Linux system. Linux is a kernel running in the GNU system. Deal with ti.

>hamburger is a bad name for a hamburger
>from now on I'll call it swimmingpool
things have names, deal with it

With all due respect, that's not your call to make. Maybe Torvalds should have called it GNU/Linux and not just Linux, but he didn't and that's the end of it.

Who cares what Torvalds says? He can call his kernel whatever he likes, but he has no right to call the comple system Linux.

RMS is the founder and president of the Free Software Foundation.
Linus Torvalds is an employee of the Free Software Foundation.
'Nuff said.

linus bootstrapped linux from GCC

>Linus Torvalds is an employee of the Free Software Foundation.
No. Torvalds is nothing but some guy who made a kernel. He actually gives a shit about Free Software.

>hamburger is bad name, I'll call it just burger instead
>burger on it's own is useless without ham, you have to include ham in the name because it originally comes from Hamburg and you need to attribute credit where credit is due

How about you go fuck yourself while I call them burgers and Linux?

False analogy. Hambugers aren't from Hamburg so "hamburger" is as much a misnomer as swimming pool.

Linus Torvalds is a retard if he thinks we should refer to an entire OS by the name of an exchangeable kernel. The truth is that Linus NEEDS it to be called Linux. When the Tech CEOs of Apple and Google and IBM, and others hear about "Linux", they assume they are talking about the OS and not just the kernel. They then dump billions into developing "Linux" with the intent of improving the OS, but in actuality much of that money goes to over-developing the kernel (and thus the Linux Foundation gets a big chunk of that money under false pretenses). Basically, Linus wants everyone to call the GNU POSIX operating systems "Linux" so that his rent gets paid. He'd call your Android and Router and your parent's smartTV "Linux" too if he could get away with it. Linus Torvalds is a piece of shit.

You mean he doesn't give a shit, right tard?

The gnu compile system is gcc.

so how many lines of code are in GNU and Linux separately?

He has every right to call it whatever he wants.

this

does it matter?

>he actually thinks GNU matters anything in Linux ecosystem anymore
Top mheh.

The GNU project is a very large software collection for the GNU operating system. Linux is one kernel.

What you refer to as Linux is actually systemd/GNU/x/pulseaudio/Linux, or as I prefer to call it no one's calling it GNU, GNU is an ugly word and you suck at naming things, fucking let it go.

Alpine just INCLUDES Linux, but it ISNT Linxu. Its something different.

>remove GNU tools
>Linux remains perfectly usable
>remove Linux kernel
>whoops!

Thousands of projects have developed programs commonly included in today's GNU/Linux systems. They all deserve credit for their contributions, but they aren't the principal developers of the system as a whole, so they don't ask to be credited as such.

GNU is different because it is more than just a contributed program, more than just a collection of contributed programs. GNU is the framework on which the system was made.

Googled to proof you wrong but it turns out Torvalds is sponsored by the Linux Foundation.
Different foundation.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Linux is self-sufficient enough to exist without anything from GNU.

To further this, if they'd called it literally anything except the sound retards make when they're being wheeled around by their handlers, the whole lot'd be called that instead and not Linux.

>Linux remains perfectly usable
nice meme, you'd still need a clib, a userland, etc.

But the userland doesn't depend on GNU. Only on Linux.

No. You can't do anything with a kernel on it's own.

You can't even compile Linux without gcc.

Hello, 2010.

Yes you can. Literally nothing stops you from writing software directly for Linux kernel - by using pure Linux API, without any C stdlib stuff.

>Yes you can. Literally nothing stops you from writing an operating system for the kernel.

so like... GNU.... PLUS... LINUX?

>any and all software classifies as an operating system

yes

>just ask FSF what they think it should be called
They've already made that abundantly clear.

>software for kernel is an operating system
Does it feel good to be right but only in your retarded invented logic? It must be.

>uses GNU coreutils
>proof that Richard "Toejam Without Earl" Stallman is right

At first I didnt even cared and simply kept saying "Linux" until I learned how Stallman and his followers gets mad over that stuff.

Since then, I not only keep saying just Linux but I also correct people saying otherwise.

I don't understand the hate. Why do the Stallmanites persist in trying to take over and rename the Linux operating system? One man creates something and the Stallmanites take the credit, wtf?

I like using Linux but I have no idea what a GNU system is besides being part of the let me interject for a moment copypasta

Stallman BTFO! Commies BTFO!

how do i get a faggy terminal like that one

uname's default behavior is to print the kernel name.
For the operating system name, use uname -o

bionic and toybox

We are not renaming anything; we have been calling this system “GNU” ever since we announced it in 1983. The people who tried to rename it to “Linux” should not have done so.

gnu.org/

zsh
wrong, commie! uname -s is for kernel info.

The same story.

>supporting the linux foundation so it gets more and more sheckels for work they haven't done
>LOL trolled
very edgy tb h

The Linux Foundation is beyond help.
Go here: linux.com/what-is-linux
>copy pasting the four freedoms from gnu.org
>CTRL+F GNU, 0 results
And some pages later they shill crap like skype and try to tell people to avoid the GPL.

gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.en.html

Stallman is a retard if he thinks we should refer to an entire OS by the name of exchangeable utils

Isn't an important distinction though?

The colloquial use of "Linux" as an OS in and of itself is understandable, but linux is just a kernel. It isn't an init system, it isn't a logging system, it isn't a huge swath of utilities that make using a linux/bsd kernel based distribution so amazing. Did linus write PPP? No, but the kernel would have had no distribution for years and years without it.

>uname -s is for kernel info
And uname defaults to it