C++ compiler recommendation

As the title states, I've been trying to teach myself a bit of C++ and I'm unsure which compiler to use. Any recommendations?

gentoo

Would prefer if someone under 400 pounds would chime in.

What OS are you on? gcc, clang, Visual Studio Express are all good. One of the best things about C++ is that you can write standard programs that don't depend on a particular compiler.

I forgot to mention I'm on Win7. Thank you for your advice. Previously I tried something called Bloodshed DevC++, and while I really liked the user interface, it didn't seem compatible with the standard 11 (or whatever it's called) functionalities mentioned in the book I read. Even when I added the -line for the updated functionality, there were still some errors.

Install mingw and use g++

Will give it a try, thanks.

gcc

115 gentoo user reporting in

>devc++
christ, why

I really like the UI. Checked out the mingw thing and it seems to be nothing but a command prompt, which is useless to me.

What, why do you need a gui for a compiler?

use clang
>free
>open source
>multiplatform
>nvidia cuda API's use it
>mac os uses it
>ios uses it
>playstation 4 uses it
>has very good error descriptions
>very good support for newer standars
>fast as fuck

also BSD uses it too

do you have something against Visual Studio?

not OP, but I'll try that out. thanks!

clang.
gcc is total shit.

devc++ is an IDE, as in a whole tool that gives you an editor, checks your code, lets you manage a project and also builds your project via a compiler.
A compiler is just a part of it, so you should be able to make devc++ use mingw

Clang or GCC. Don't know for LLVM
Fuck ICC

Well, my bad then, IDE is what I'm actually looking for then, devc++ came up when I googled a compiler, thus I assumed a compiler is actually the what're you describing as IDE. Didn't realize compiler is merely the thing that takes code.cpp and turns it into a program.

What's Sup Forums's IDE of choice then?

Yeah, everyone pointed it out already, but what you're looking for is an IDE, not a compiler.

mine is code blocks

>fast as fuck
Only for compilation
for object optimization gcc is miles ahead.

for c++? QtCreator is legit.

its lightweight, and nothing beats its code completion engine, not VS not nothing.

also runs in every major OS, and once you start using its ctrl+K feature you will have a great difficulty in going back to other editors.

Clang is llvm you plank.

What OS?

codeblocks if you want opensource, install it along with mingw
Visual studio works with c++ too.
Qt creator is also a choice and should come in handy if you decide you want to have a crossplatform GUI application

Permanent reminder

Neat, I tried that one too. As for Visual Studio, it seemed unnecessarily slow and clunky and complicated for the peasant-tier "programs" I was making. Still, devc++ seemed to me the most user friendly as a complete newbie and it made looking for simple errors seemingly easier.

Win 7 64bit.

Go for Visual Studio. Qt if you want UI

>What's Sup Forums's IDE of choice then?
For Windows development? Visual Studio. I wouldn't recommend it until you've written some basic Hello Worlds using a bare compiler though (MinGW or Clang). If you start programming C++ using an IDE like Visual Studio you will not have the faintest ideas which bits of it are innate to the language and which bits are the IDE. Build something small using MinGW (or Clang), CMake and Notepad++ (or similar) and then move on to Visual Studio.

This. If you don't know what compiler to use and you're not using visual studio, use clang. You can switch to GCC for release builds and benchmark to see which binary is fastest. But for a beginner, good error messages is the most important feature.

>This was an (((oversight)))
kkek

just to clarify for OP: QtCreator is NOT just for Qt programs, you can create anything with it, from console applications to anything else really.

its just ALSO supports Qt as first class citizen

QT uses the clang compiler too

Clion. Like all JetBrains IDEs, it's the best for its language.

its paid though, not that i have anything against paid software, but paying to develop just feels very wrong.

JetBrains IDEs are usually very good tho

If one doesn't make enough $$$ as a developer to justify $100 per year for outstanding tools, one has bigger problems methinks.

also no microsoft(tm) telemetry(tm) in your binaries.

Linux/BSD -> Clang
Windows -> Visual Studios

Gonna give this one a try. Any idea why it's so huge? It's expected to take around 8 GB.

the editor itself is rather small, the huge size comes more from the Qt framework itself. specially if you also include the source.

REMOVE WINDOWS

Pretty much this. Since you're just learning it you should stick to the standards.