/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VBIKowfbpD8?t=1m56s
youtube.com/watch?v=TaEID4uzjtE
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This chart should answer 99% of the questions you have about watch brands.

Let's focus on *good* horological debate, and see some wrist shots please.

What's wrong with Bulovas?

nothing at all desu

Reminder that the chart you posted is wrong about Sea-Gull, and doesn't even spell it right.

I was thinking this myself. Sea-gulls are, in my mind, roughly equivalent with Malaysian-made Seikos.

Anyways, wearing my new birthday watch today, ordered a brown leather band for it this morning which should get here on Friday.

Not a huge Hamilton fan, but I like that one.

nice, these are great little watches

To get some discussion going, how about we play the "Three watch collection" game- you get only are able to have 3 watches in your collection- budget is not considered. These three watches will be your only pieces for the rest of your life. Just to make it fun, you cannot choose watches you already have in your collection.

Mine:
1. Royal Oak, Steel, 39mm, Blue Dial
2. Datejust 36mm, two tone, jubilee bracelet
3. Speedmaster Broadarrow, original 39mm

Not the most unique selections, I know. The AP and Rolex sort of serve the same purpose, but smaller sports watches on comforable bracelets and hand-wound chronographs are my favorite types of watches. And honestly my MKII Racing would actually be my choice of chronograph, but I already own it!

Accutron Spaceview
Grand Seiko
Tudor Blue Pelagos

>G757-5000 case arrived
>Crystal is still in bumfuck nowhere two weeks later

JLC Reverso (blue)
40mm panda Daytona
Submariner

Unapologetic redundancy in the Rolexes, I need a good diver, and a good-looking/fun casual watch in the Daytona

>Grand Seiko Snowflake
Love the dial
>Orion double wheat
Great looking watches
>Seiko SARB017
The green dial makes me diamonds.

Wasn't this thing just on Mass Drop?

The accutron II isn't even a real accutron.
The precisionist movement is not thermocompensated and its rate varies with temperature and age. Sometimes it doesn't even deliver the promised

"Improved" my oc a little. Remember kids, don't fall for the jew

reminder of why quartz is better than whatever overpriced mechanical you're thinking of buying

>tfw +/-0

If you voted for trump...
>you fell for the jew.

Vacheron Constantin Offshore Chronograph
Rolex GMT-Master Man on the Fucking Moon
Philippe Dufour Simplicity

1) Grand Seiko SBGH001: In my mind the Platonic ideal of the time/date only watch.

2) A. Lange & Sohne Zetiwerk for the combination of aesthetics and ALS workmanship.

3) Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Celestia Astronomical Grand Complication: One of the few grand complications watches I enjoy aesthetically and would actually wear.

That chart is a little too biased against vintage mechanicals for my taste.

Blue Pelagos, snowfrake, 44GS

Mallcore garbage owned by the mallcore garbage master Citizen

Does anyone have the "Swiss Meme" rolex?

>service time
>take it to VC to get serviced
>"that will be $100,000, monsieur"

Well, I made my choices based on the money no object premise.

>be watchmaker
>spend countless hours working on a masterpiece
>some sand nigger throws it in the river to prove a point
youtu.be/VBIKowfbpD8?t=1m56s

Is there a name for that dial style that looks like a ruler, behind the seconds?

Which Orient is that?

Looks like Bambino V2

Bambino V2 first generation

1. Rolex Explorer (not the II)
2. Breitling Transocean 38
3. Arnold & Son Moonphase (Blue / Silver)

Why?

What a deal

>auction is either down, or never existed in the first place

2/10, made me check.

>Seller: darthbidious
Fuckin kek

At what pricepoint can I expect some in-house movements and in-house manufacture?

$200? $300? $1000?

I kind of want a beater that's in house

$200 will get you an Orient, which use in-house movements.

Depends. Seiko, Orient, Vostok and Nomos are the cheapest brands offering in-house I think.

$150

No Damasko, opinion discarded

$50 for a seiko

At that price aren't all the movements from Taiwan?

ITS HABBENING!

youtube.com/watch?v=TaEID4uzjtE

BUY BUY BUY!

pic related is my daily driver. it looks good with and without a suit on, it's durable, the alarm is piercing and easy to set (not that I ever use it).

If prices are coming down on pre-owned watches, and I haven't been paying attention to if they are, it might be good to buy from Archie's country from the USA. USD to AUD is currently 1.36, extreme in the last 12 months is 1.39 so we're pretty close to that.

Call up some of those aussies and hammer them on the price, and be rewarded by the favorable exchange rate.

If the bubble truly did burst I will probably buy me a no-date Sub non-ceramic.

$5 for a digital Casio.

Why a non-ceramic?

No, it would be Malaysia. And you didn't ask for country of origin.
Seiko is the most "in-house" company. Every single component in a Seiko watch is made by Seiko. Rubies, quartz crystals, springs, even the oils used for lubrification in the movement. Hands, dials, cases. Even Rolex outsources some parts. Seiko is as in-house as it gets, even on their cheapest quartz watch.

Because its a tool watch not a fucking piece of jewelry.

I got to hang out with some pretty cool watches today while dropping off my Aero-Compax for servicing. Picture quality is just from my Iphone so it isn't great.

First up is a Patek 5040P. This one was used and had a slight scratch in the case back. They were asking $46,000.

This is the Cartier Mystery Watch. Really incredible to see the hour and minute hands move via the little screws at the edge of the movement. I can't imagine how hard it is to create a crescent shaped movement. They had this one marked at $54,500.

These next two are from Svend Andersen. This first one is the Orbita Lunae with a moonphase calendar, the date operates as a rotating disc and the basic function is only indicated by those little lines. The dial is hand cut blue gold and it is #16 of 31 pieces ever made. I almost bought this one right then and there but at $20,000 I decided to let it stew for a little bit.

what the

Damn. Finally got some repeating integers.

The last piece is the Svend Andersen Day and Night, or Jour et Nult, this is piece 3 out of 3 for the collection. The minute register sits at the bottom, while the two other hands operate with a moon (on the shorter hand) and sun (on the longer) on them. When the sun is rising the longer hand is pointing to the outer arc of numbers, and as the sun sets going clockwise, the moon begins to rise and runs along the inner arc. Really fascinating piece as it only clicks to each hour marker rather than sweeping. This one was at retail for $19,000.

>Svend Andersen
Litetally who
Those watches are ass, the prices are crazy
The Cartier is cool though.

>Literally who

Nigga, he used to work for Patek doing grand complications, but then quit because he wanted to do things more interesting than what Patek was doing. He is one of the godfathers of independent watchmaking and you should certainly know who he is. This thread needs more spice than Vostoks and like the three guys who own a Rolex.

Well why does he make shitty watches then?
>only "complication" is a minutes subdial
Wow that sure was an interesting watch!!! I'm glad he quit patek to make it!
You can literally find the double hand thing on mall citizens

Wait I forgot about the jumping hours. Very innovative concept, certainly worth $20k for an ugly watch.

It's starting to look good senpaitachi.

sou dewa nai yo

I wasn't the guy who asked about ijnhouse. Was just asking about the fact the the movement is t made in Japan on the cheapo Seikos. I still think they're worth the cost, as Seiko makes great watches though, regardless of where they make the parts.

Nani?

Good thing is, these are so cheap that when youre done washing it in liquid and it turns out shit, you can still buy another one for 29.99!
Just kidding Id like to see the results

>implying that Seiko SARBs' parts aren't made in China and assembled in Malaysia as well

FYI this is the case for every Seiko under 1500€. The Japan/Japan made inscription just means that the QC was done by a Japanese Seiko employee in Malaysia/China.

Oh my fucking god, I'm working on a shitty Police watch and I had to remove the leather strap because it stank like a gym sock and I couldn't fucking breathe.

I don't know what chink leather this is, but the straps of some manufacturers FUCKING STINK.

Is this a new one you're stripping to base metal?

Isn't it the guy's sweat?

I'm not sure, some brands have it all the time, some never.

Yea soaking in muriatic acid to remove the chrome coating on a new Bocтoк.

>FYI this is the case for every Seiko under 1500€.
Not that I don't believe you, but source?

Pic related is the test piece. Should look nice. It's been in for about three and a half hours. Probably has another half hour to hour left until I can get a pic. Under the liquid it's so pretty, but soon as it hits air the brass starts to oxidize and becomes duller. Should still look great, and like you said even if it looks like shit it's a just a Bocтoк.

/wt/, what is your ABSOLUTE FUCKOFF piece? Every man needs one.

I lied it's ready. Love the way it came out. Makes me question why Bocтoк doesn't sell then as raw brass.

Are there watches with a retrograde seconds movement?

I don't know if I have one, can you explain what this Reddit term means?

Case back appeared to not be brass. Also last pic

Archie used it to refer to a golden Sub, so I think it's used to refer to ostentatiously expensive watches. I don't want one because a. I can't afford one; b. I don't want that kind of attention, I'd either get mugged or surrounded by idiots who'd want me to buy stuff; c. It's shitty taste and lastly d. Gold is easier to scratch.

Nice. Kind of tempted to try this w/ my Amphibia's bezel.

It's an easy mod. From what I understand though you can only do it on your bezel. I have the Comrade, and to my understanding the amphibia isn't brass for the case. I would suggest if you want to do it buying a bezel from Zenitar on Ebay. He's in Moscow and gets them to the US pretty quick. Buy a second bezel and if you don't like it you can go back.

What did you use to strip the plating?

I used Muriatic acid from ACE hardware mixed 1/1 with water. Took about four hours to dissolve away the chrome.

Meranom sells dot bezels without chrome in three finishes.

That actually looks pretty good, I might get another Komandirskie to try it out. Can you get the acid at regular hardware stores?

Yea I like they way it turned out. And yes I got mine from ACE hardware. Home depot and Lowes should also have it.

Might be camel leather, that's cheap as fuck and stinks foul.

what model is this user?

Mine would be one of these, I don't have one though because I'm not spending more than the cost of my car on a watch.

Cool, cool. Now to decide what case & dial combo would look good in brass.

It is model #811783 with an amphibian bezel.

Bocтoк has the same problem Seiko has in that there's just so many variants to chose from it's hard to only pick one.

Probably something completely black like that user did, or something completely white without other colors. For example I think my Bocтoк wouldn't look great in brass.

I was thinking either the black tank dial or the black submarine dial.

>not getting the absolute 10/10 dial