Is fedora even a good distro? It seems like its dying out for me

Is fedora even a good distro? It seems like its dying out for me

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=292316
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/41126/cannot-install-fedora-20-on-existing-partition/
bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=505872
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

The package management is pretty much shit

i fucking hate it. fuck rpm fuck dnf

Same user

I'm genuinely curious what you don't like about dnf and rpm. I've used primarily Red Hat distributions, and it's always worked well

doesn't linux torvalds use fedora on his macbook air?

god what a pleb

Such a Terry wannabe

It's great. I refuse to use it though because their chromium bin is compiled without support for h265 vids. Otherwise I would.

I use Fedora 25 Xfce as my only OS. That being said...

forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=292316
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/41126/cannot-install-fedora-20-on-existing-partition/
>The installer is absolute ass. Fedora WILL NOT install to existing partitions. They have to be created with Anaconda, which does a shit job of it. Because of "muh top-down installation" you CANNOT create your installation partitions with GParted, or fdisk, or any other software besides Fedora's installer. Notice the version numbers. This has been a thing with Fedora for years.

bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=505872
>The installer can't handle Fake RAID. Anaconda installer simply crashes on startup when you have a Fake RAID, and the text installer can't use RAID at all. It's been a known issue for years, but they don't seem to give a shit.

Excerpts from DNF manpage:
dnf distro-sync [...]
As necessary upgrades, downgrades or keeps selected installed packages to match the latest version available from any enabled repository.

dnf [options] upgrade
Updates each package to the latest version that is both available and resolvable.
>DNF is lacking when it comes to managing which repository software is installed from. So, if you have RPMFusion enabled, like most, you can't lock a certain piece of software to keep it installed from either RPMFusion or the default repos. So if you have a piece of software that's available in both repositories, it will pick for you, which repo to install from based on which has the newest version alone, if you're not careful to stop it.

Soon, it will be time to go back to openSUSE after these years.

Me again.

Fedora's choices for software are also different from what's conventional on most other distros. For instance, using chrony instead of ntpd. Fedora's preference for Qemu over VirtualBox; damn near nobody prefers Qemu over anything.

It's not all bad. There's a lot I like about Fedora, hence my still using it, but I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you honestly what I think. I don't expect any distro to be exactly what I want unless I make it that way, and Fedora's no different. I used Gentoo for a year for that reason alone. But, with that said, there's things about Fedora which simply are the way they are, and cannot be changed without moving mountains.

The things I like about Fedora are the speed, and ease of administration. The frequent updates are a nice touch as well. Fedora is also quite lean. My root partition of 64GB isn't even 10% full, after 7 months of use on this installation.

I love Fedora. Switched to Fedora after a few years of Arch a few months ago. No issues with package management. I won't be changing distros again in the foreseeable future

install gentoo

Whats wrong with qemu ?

Qemu is fine. But most people prefer VirtualBox.

>Fedora WILL NOT install to existing partitions
>you CANNOT create your installation partitions with GParted, or fdisk

Well that's curious. I made my partitions in gparted then encrypted them through luks then used lvm to make virtual partitions on them. I've done fresh installs of Fedora 23-25 on that HDD. It doesn't seem to mind at all.

I've never tried any RAID because I'm on a laptop but given the rest of your post I have doubts about this claim.

I'm not sure what you're implying with the dnf man page excerpts. If you want to install a package from a particular repo youuse the --disablerepo flag and install the package like normal. If you want to run upgrade and want to keep a package tied to a certain repo you run dnf upgrade while excluding the package with the -x flag. Then you run dnf upgrade protected-package with the correct repo enabled through flags.

RPMfusion integrates painlessly in my experience. I think that has to do with the fact that most of the package maintainers there are also Fedora package maintainers.

I run a pretty insignificant COPR that provides builds from upstream gits so people can test new software before it gets released. I just implemented a version-release scheme that ensures my packages supersede Fedora's. If they want to undo my changes they just disable my copr and distrosync.

My answer to why I'm a Fedora user is basically it's what I'm used to. If asked what distro to install I recommend any one that doesn't do things like bundle Amazon spyware and point out that I'll be able to give better help down the road if they use my distro. Distros are pretty interchangable.

For instance using your example of chrony versus ntpd, ntpd is packaged by Fedora and switching is not hard at all. I've done it and it takes a couple minutes.

Installers suck ass in general

Im trying it now because they have more up to date packages than Debian, but Gnome has been crashing on for stupid things like alt-tabbing or even right after logging in. Also games run way slower somehow, both with nouveau and proprietary nvidia drivers. Must be something fixable but i dont want to bother if it just works in another distro..

It doesn't have an option to not remove the dependencies of whatever you're uninstalling. This would be fine if it checked if something else uses those dependencies, but instead it checks if you installed the dependencies manually. So, if I install KDE by downloading "plasma" or something else that uses KDE libs, and then remove one KDE app, it will try to remove those libs because I didn't manually say "dnf install kdelib1 kdelib2 kdelib...afuckinglot".
Which is bullshit.

>*tips*

I heard there was a fork called Korora or something to improve Fedora's ethic.

I think Korora is to Fedora what Manjaro is to Arch. Essentially a de-autisming edition.

I'm pretty sure if two user installed packages share a dependency it won't be removed as it has never happened to me in 2 years. I am sure that dnf mark install package will keep a dependency from being automatically removed because it was only installed as a dependency of a user requested package.

Do you even read the friendly manual, bro?

it's fine I guess, but nothing speciall