Going forward...

>Going forward, Windows 10 users will need to update to the latest big feature update within 60 days to continue receiving important updates and security fixes.

what the FUCK

kitguru.net/gaming/operating-systems/matthew-wilson/microsoft-has-dropped-support-for-the-original-version-of-windows-10/?PageSpeed=noscript

Other urls found in this thread:

mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg104687.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who the fuck even uses Windows anymore besides retards and people who are imprisoned by proprietary software?

Linux does the same thing with kernel versions

You're not forced to update nor do Linux distros give you a deadline.

everyone.

Not forced unless you want to use latest software packages

Normies.

All OSs do this. lol

Given that most Linux software is open source, you can try modifying it to work on your outdated system.

All other OSes are free.

Ergo, retards.

Its ok when linux implements unified security standards not Windows though

>Windows
>Security

But you can then choose which kernel to use at boot

>tfw I don't even have 1607 installed

Linux doesn't introduce ads into the DE

If we bought loonix in the (((discussion))):

a recent patch to apt in debian sid introduced a -currently disabled- systemd service/capability that -just like windows update- at a certain times does apt-get update then at another time does apt-get upgrade to mitigate load on their servers.

[citation needed]

>debian
>systemd

it's your fault.

LTSB BTFO?

I don't use systemd,

mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg104687.html

No!

There are long term kernel releases that get security patches without new features for a longer time.

Nobody even tries to push Linux kernel updates on you or else the whole system breaks. There are very few kernel *feature* updates over time that you *needed* to do to keep the system running with newer user space programs.

No.
LTSB2015 is supported until 2025
LTSB2016 is supported until 2026 (like Server 2016)

Where did Linux implement "unified" security standards?

There are very few distros where you can't freely choose where your updates come from, and even mix and match them with other sources, and individually (not) install each update on a nice granular level.

Never mind all of them also let you see what source code any binary updates are generated from, and patch out what you don't like. Or specify another source that patched out what you don't like.

you make dependency hell sound pleasant

so from what I understand 1511 is still valid and will continue to be updated until 60 days after the update that follows Creators?

people that need more than libre clones and bad wine compatibility
you stallman cultists are one step away from communism

That happens only if the maintainers of the distro or the alternative repositories were really stupid about maintaining their branches?

I've not really had any big issue with it at all on my distro, and I've been using alternative package sources pretty much whenever desired / needed for like a decade now.

Why are you surprised?

Why are you asking me your statements? Are you gay?

I use LTSB 2015. Not giving a shit about updates.

>tfw Windows 7 is the upgrade of Windows 10 in user experience

Do you trust that statement?

kernel.org

No kernel 3.2 is still lts(which is really old)

>Pajeet OS needs to restart your computer 30 times to install an update

You can install newer programs on an older kernel.

linux is fucking garbage. name one useful thing that you can do with linux on a desktop pc that you can't do with windows. protip: there is something called cygwin

People with jobs

DILID DIS

This. Windows is for retarded wagecucks.

Be free
Customize your system
Update when you want, not when your master wants

Protip: cygwin is ultimate shit

only because linux is shit

>deliberately heavily fragmenting your OS
>doubling down

Microsoft is so progressive.

>deliberately heavily fragmenting your OS
sounds familiar

I gave up fighting MS. I just gave in and be a good goy, install the latest OS and update and let them do whatever they want.

I just feel so free and liberated, not having to worry about this and that anymore.

Life is way more fun this way.

>Winston burned his diary
Finally.

I have no idea what this means but OK buddy have a good one.

kek

Of course you haven't read 1984.

>voluntarily using Spy10
kek

Not cost thousands of dollars to run basic services like ldap, Kerberos realms, cifs or various other basic networking services?

>tfw wagecucks end up happier in the long run as NEETs turn 40 and start having existential crises in waves

Meanwhile wagecucks become enlightened by the time they turn 40 due to reasons

>an easily replacable wojak being happy ever

Nice trips, but read it and weep, son.
Nuggiess for dinner isn't going to cut it when you're 55

Literally hired because i know Linux. Feels good.

I use Linux at work every day

hmmm, i wonder why that is?..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
all well, lets talk about something else.

How the fuck is this a problem?

Just fucking update, moron.
You're already using a botnet OS. Why would you stay on an old version if it still has the same spy shit as the latest one?

I hate this bullshit. The number of times I've had a Windows update hang or crash during the restart phase always makes me nervous when it tries to restart my computer now.

Why should I care? I haven't used winshit outside of a VM in nearly a decade.

DUDE

This might become a problem for me, since I reboot into Windows so very rarely.

This. If for some reason you have to use Windows, just stop trying to keep any semblance of privacy. If it is a botnet, then toggling this and removing that won't fix it, it's fucked by nature.

Just keep it as functional as possible and use a distro for all your exotic needs.

I have 2 computers that run Windows. My desktop runs windows and I use it exclusively for playing games. I have 1 laptop running Windows that I use exclusively for trading (fuck you Ninjatrader, just make your shit cross-platform already). Then I have a laptop with Linux on it that I use for all other general purpose computer shit (shitposting, chinese cartoon / movie watching, emails, web browsing, torrents, etc).

I have some 1st gen Raspberry Pis sitting in their boxes that I want to use for network storage, torrentboxes, etc. I just haven't gotten around to messing with them....

>I wish I had spend more of my youth working a job I don't like to earn shekels for someone else
ok

>tfw w10 support gets dropped faster than w7

>i wish i wasn't such a loser poorfag who spent his youth masturbating to anime

Will this mess up all the disabled telemetry shit I had to do?

BOTNET

Worried about this too. I have blackboard and DWS lite installed, Im not to sure they work on the creators update shit.

>blackboard
Blackbird

On a related note, is there a comprehensive guide on disabling all the telemetry in Win10?

you just described 70% of the user base

Not an up to date one, since microshaft keeps introducing new telemetry shit with each big update. The only way to completely block everything is to get an ip connection monitor and manually block everything Microsoft and hope it doesn't fuck anything up.

Wow, really? I would have figured people would be on it to make a program or something to block everything. Do you happen to know the most recent and thorough one that I can start with and try to block more from there?

>1st gen Raspberry Pi
Not worth it, USB and Ethernet use the same controller and both are stupidly slow especially samba.

well shit, I have 3 of the things that I bought when they first came out and I've never taken them out of the box.....

network storage is literally the pi's worst case scenario

- usb2/100mbps eth, both on the same usb2 root hub
- cpu too slow for ntfs, samba, or sftp. native linux filesystems + nfs/ftp or just don't bother

fugg...

Well what about Nes / SNES / GameBoy Advance emulation?

haven't tried it
the original pi has a woefully slow cpu, the one good thing on it is its' gpu and video decoder, so it's basically only good for;
- really simple tasks
- basic HTPC

nes should be easy, but snes and gba might be pushing it

>basic HTPC

Can it actually play 1080p videos or is it a stuttering mess?

Would the 3rd generation pis work for a network file server / torrentbox or is their hardware also too weak?

Yes, you fucking tinfoil hat retard. They're not going to sell an OS on a fixed support window then change it, that's called "How to lose your only clients"

>Can it actually play 1080p videos or is it a stuttering mess?
yep, it'll play straight 1080p bluray remuxes pretty easily, the hardware video decoder on it is made for it
i have one myself, which i got for use as an htpc, and it did the job
everything besides the video was slow, navigating kodi, syncing the library (slow as balls, but since i left it running 24/7 it was usually up to date by the time i went to watch something)
once a video starts playing, it's smooth as

>Would the 3rd generation pis work for a network file server / torrentbox or is their hardware also too weak?
i haven't tried any of the other sbc's or pi models, but you can get far, far more powerful sbc's nowadays. not that the pi was anything special even at the time, it had the cpu of a cellphone several years older than it

for a network file server, you want something with gigabit ethernet and sata/usb3, ideally.
i don't follow what devices are popular, someone else will have a better idea on what exactly to get

Alright, I guess I'll just set one up as a HTPC to leave in my living room or something. I might try to make another into a retro gaming console. No idea what I'll do with the 3rd.

I'd like some sort of small ARM computer to use for a file server and torrentbox just for the power savings compared to running even a low powered x86 computer 24/7. It doesn't necessarily have to be a pi and it doesn't need to cost $35 or less. I guess I'll do some research and see what's out there.

well, last time i looked the odroid-xu4 was one i considered pretty decent overall
$60, usb3, gigabit ethernet, 2G ram, 8-core samsung exynos cpu (same as in the galaxy s5)

oh, and an important point for a file server, while the ethernet is on usb3, it's on a separate root controller than the two ports, they're not shared

I guess try out Blackbird? That's the most updated one for one click blocking.

I'll try that, thanks. If you or anyone else finds anything better I'll be lurking so please tell me.