What should I use, Sup Forums?

What should I use, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

spacevim.org/use-vim-as-a-java-ide/
lucianofiandesio.com/vim-configuration-for-happy-java-coding
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode#3.x_series
forums.developer.apple.com/thread/69231
stackoverflow.com/questions/19790973/refactor-rename-broken-in-intellij-idea
intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/207259605-IntelliJ-refactoring-horribly-broken-and-unusable-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Vim.

netbeans

Nice meme

Atom

This
If you insist on using an IDE though I personally prefer Intellij

xcode

IntelliJ if your employer covers the license costs, otherwise NetBeans.

Nobody except for CS courses and IBM employees still uses Eclipse.

sublime text master race

Personally I use vim for everything but java, but then again I also hate java.

Netbeans

frfr

VS 2017

yeah sick nobody asked

Depends on programming language you're using...

Vim > Emacs > microEmacs > PellesC > Watcom C/C++ > NetBeans > XCode > Gnome Builder > Mono Develop > Visual Studio > Eclipse > JetBrains stuff (like IntelliJ/CLion/PhpStorm/etc.) > Code::Blocks > KDevelop > Anjuta > Geany... and the rest don't even qualify since any text-editor is a sufficient as an IDE in right hands.

At least you included Geany instead of Atome or VSCode. Still, you broke my heart.

I like you user.

Either works. I use Eclipse and NetBeans more than IDEA because there's no way I'm paying just to fiddle around with EE/Spring.

I'm starting to see this new software model where a company releases a lite version and makes it FOSS, but then has a proprietary version behind a magic curtain with tons of features.

Java development is basically impossible with a shitty low end text editor. You will need an IDE if you want to make anything proper, and that includes CS course gimmick programs.

I should add that Eclipse is actually pretty flexible and a good platform when you start doing work in big corporations. It can be extended unlimitedly with relatively simple blocks and provides anything and everything. I've yet to see an IDE which has support for planning phase, implementation phase, and deployment phase as well supported as in Eclipse. What I feel to be its closest competitor, NetBeans, doesn't get even close.

I do acknowledge that Eclipse is absolutely horrible IDE if a lone programmer uses it or even if a small to mid size company uses it with under 100 people working for a company. However it becomes a really good idea to use Eclipse in big companies where you can have a single team consist of 250 people working to deliver one product on time and can use one and same suite for all of their needs.

Eclipse is a total feature freak in a sense that it integrates everything you might expect in making corporate software. It has proper UML support available, proper server support the time scheduling and planning of features, even a silly chat and email client and proper integration with various task trackers (including their own) and huge amount of things you can tweak and adjust. If you're doing Java in a corporate environment, Eclipse is the clear winner since it does everything in a single package.

>XCode > ... > Visual Studio > Eclipse > JetBrains stuff

I'm too old. Is this some kind of script kiddie meme recommendation? I know for a fact that XCode is an absolutely shitty IDE lacking a number of industry standard functions and is far worse than either VS, Eclipse and especially Jetbrains IDE.

>Java development is basically impossible with a shitty low end text editor.

Sorry, my dear, but you're wrong.

spacevim.org/use-vim-as-a-java-ide/
lucianofiandesio.com/vim-configuration-for-happy-java-coding

* I guess it has a nice GUI WYSIWYG design feature though. But thats about it.

>Considering vim a low end editor.
I don't particularly like vim, but it's definitely way above a low end editor.

emacs

>I know for a fact that XCode is an absolutely shitty IDE lacking a number of industry standard functions

Can you name any to prove your point? When was the last time you used XCode for developing software for macOS? Have you done any iOS development? XCode has a complete GUI for DTrace. It's also extendable IDE and any features you want it to have can probably be found online or you can build them yourself.

It sucks for Java though.
No refactoring tools without integrating fucking Eclipse into it.

Eclipse doesn't even have proper VCS and build automation support. You need to rely on plugins that work like shit.

>Have you done any iOS development
yes, IOS, though admittedly back in 2011 so I guess it could have gotten better. It had for example pretty much zero refactoring support back then as I remember.

Eclipse is literally a plugin engine (OSGi). Pretty much anything in Eclipse is a plugin.

Which is why it sucks.
It's one thing to have a plugin for some extra functionality.
But if the plugins not only have to be properly integrated into the base IDE but also have to be well integrated with other plugins, it's starting to become a nightmare.

lol

Refactoring has been in XCode since 3.x... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode#3.x_series

Nope, google says refactoring in XCode is still a fucking joke, even 6 years later

>One thing to keep in mind is that if the preview is empty, that is generally a display problem only. If you switch to one of the other display modes (there are 3 icons above the list list files: hierarchical, flat, files) and switch back, you should see the correct preview.

>Secondly, if not all occurrences get replaced, that would suggest your source code index is incomplete. It might be worth trying to clean the project and wait for the index to be rebuilt.

>Thirdly, I believe the ability to refactor Obj-C properties is still broken, though I haven't tried this recently.

>Fourthly, there is currently no refactoring at all in Swift, so you're not being punished for using Obj-C. You're being rewarded!

LMFAO, this is so unbelievably shit compared to what any employed enterprise developer should come to expect from his work tools. If you really tried out a Jetbrains product you would be shocked at this level inadequacy. But I guess this is to be expected from Sup Forums script kiddies who shitpost all day and build fizz buzz 50 LOC programs in the meme language flavor of the month.

see
Thats from dec 2016 btw
forums.developer.apple.com/thread/69231

Lol, this is hillarious

As if the IntelliJ doesn't have issues with broken software features as well...

stackoverflow.com/questions/19790973/refactor-rename-broken-in-intellij-idea
intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/207259605-IntelliJ-refactoring-horribly-broken-and-unusable-

The claim was:

>XCode has pretty much zero refactoring support 2011

Which is not true since refactoring was added to XCode in 2009. How it works is a different matter entirely. And I agree it has some issues. But keep in mind that almost any such IDE has issues and that includes JetBrains products.

make

>As if the IntelliJ doesn't have issues with broken software features as well...

Post claiming refactoring broken at 0800am. Jetbrains customer service answers requesting a sample project at 0900am same day. Never heard back from OP, literally one post with this ID.

Stellar customer support, other companies should take note.

That's something they do handle well (and better be since they're a company which develops commercial IDEs as their chief product). I've personally never had issues with their support and even receive bug reports. Unlike Apple...
._.

I'm debugging a j2ee application right now with eclipse and the only thing holding me back is my inability to reproduce the problem because it may be fixed.

Eclipse all the way.

USING MY HAMMER AS A SCREWDRIVER

...by taping a screwdriver on the hammer
aka eclim

Eclipse is the "lightweight" free option.
IJ is the more complete paid solution. It is also slower for typing as it analyses each character you type in real time (it has nice postfix shortcuts and templates to make for it tho).

No, that would be NetBeans.
Eclipse is slow as shit.