YOU HAVE 23 SECONDS TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU DON'T USE PERL

YOU HAVE 23 SECONDS TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU DON'T USE PERL
>GO

1990s - perl
2000s - python 2.x
2010s - javascript

please don't post the racist frog

What will the 2020s be? I want to get a headstart. Maybe we could start a coding bootcamp school and charge people 6 thousand dollars to teach them what's in the introductory documentation =^)

because they are lost before swine

Because - while I browse Sup Forums - I don't dig programming languages that cater edgyness that much.

Also, I'd rather learn his mentally sane cousin, Ruby.

i dont know what peril is

web assembly

but i use it.

Calm down user. I already do.

Perl and Python were not replaced with JavaScript.

Perl for web sites was replaced by php.

Perl for system scripting was replaced by Python mostly, but also by Ruby and config management systems like chef and puppet.

Because it isn't 1992

But I do.
Mostly because I work with a lot of legacy systems, but I still use it.

Perl is not good language for me

i dont think its this bad

why not user? :(

i use perl style regex.
does that count?

perl is fun! i like using perl

Perl Guy told me to STOP. USING. PERL. at 32c3.

Also have the roulette from that year.

Please use Rust.

python wasn't really replaced was it

Roll

Lol that's Russian roulette with a fully loaded revolver, there's no good outcome there.

roll

Whew you guys may have gotten the only that might have a decent body.

Rolling

> write-only language

It feels like it was written by a lobotomized turtle

>perl guy
kek

variable prefixes

close, it was written by a cia nigger (former nsa subcontractor) with bibles in his pants

I prefer to be able to read my code after I write it.
And i prefer to be able to read other people's code.

That's not what perl allows.

>I need the language to force me to write decent code, because otherwise it looks like shit
That, or you've never used perl.

Because in my scripting needs I've never encountered something I couldn't easily solve with Python or Bash or awk or grep or a combination thereof.

I chose PHP at an early age.

PERL was my first language when I was 11.

shit repl

It has no purpose other than for backwards compatibility.

>Uppercase PERL
Sasuga, user-kun

I have a pearl necklace. I actually have two, but one is broken. I rarely wear it. I prefer my golden one though, it also has the cross sign on it (:

php does everything I need :^)

Elaborate?

I gave your mom a perl necklace

Because I'm much more at ease with Lua and C#. I don't see the need for perl for me.

I used to use a lot of Perl back in the early 2000's but really it's a syntactical clusterfuck. Python is so much cleaner, and computers are so fast now that most of the stuff I'd Perl I now just keep as a shell script anyway.

$@!'$@#

will webassembly allow me to write truly closed-source scripts for the web?

I pulled a pearl necklace out of your mom

I can work faster in python

because you need a fucking ai to parse it

what people do with perl is wrong. perl makes a whole lot of tasks easy to do, but if you look closely, you will see that those tasks are fundamentally braindamaged, and should never have been initiated. perl is perhaps the best example I can think of for a theory I have on the ills of optimization and the design choices people make. most people, when faced with a problem, will not investigate the cause of the problem, but will instead want to solve it because the problem is actually in the way of something more important than figuring out why something suddenly got in their way out of nowhere. if you are a programmer, you may reach for perl at this point, and perl can remove your problem. happy, you go on, but find another problem blocking your way, requiring more perl -- the perl programmer who veers off the road into the forest will get out of his car and cut down each and every tree that blocks his progress, then drive a few meters and repeat the whole process. whether he gets where he wanted to go or not is immaterial -- a perl programmer will happily keep moving forward and look busy. getting a perl programmer back on the road is a managerial responsibility, and it can be very hard: the perl programmer is very good at solving his own problems and assure you that he's on the right track -- he looks like any other programmer who is stuck, and this happens to all of us, but the perl programmer is very different in one crucial capacity: the tool is causing the problems, and unlike other programmers who discover the cause of the problem sooner or later and try something else, perl is rewarding the programmer with a very strong sense of control and accomplishment that a perl programmer does _not_ try something else.

I haven't learn it yet, I really want to

it's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the language rewards idiotic behavior in a way that no other language or tool has ever done, and on top of it, it punishes conscientiousness and quality craftsmanship -- put simply: you can commit any dirty hack in a few minutes in perl, but you can't write an elegant, maintainabale program that becomes an asset to both you and your employer; you can make something work, but you can't really figure out its complete set of failure modes and conditions of failure.

roll

mind blown

because rc shell is better

wrong use case

fundamentally wrong

I have terrible luck

a person's behavior is shaped by the rewards and the punishment he has received while not thinking about his own actions. few people habitually engage in the introspection necessary to break out of this "social programming" or decide to ignore the signals that other people send them, so this is a powerful mechanism for programming the unthinking masses. rewarding idiotic behavior and punishing smart behavior effectively brainwashes people, destroying their value systems and their trust in their own understanding and appreciation of the world they live in, but if you're very good at it, you can create a new world for them in which all of this makes sense.

to really destroy any useful concepts of how software is supposed to work together, for instance, the best possible way is to ridicule the simple and straightforward concepts inherent in Lisp's read and print syntax, then ridicule the overly complex and entangled concepts in stuff like IDL and CORBA, which does basically the same thing as Lisp's simple syntax, and then hail the randomness of various programs that output junk data, because you can easily massage the data into the randomness that some other program accepts as input. instead of having syntax-driven data sharing between programs, you have code-driven glue between programs, and because you are brainwashed perl idiot, this is an improvement, mostly to your job security. and once you start down this path, every move forward is a lot cheaper than any actual improvements to the system that would _obviate_ the need for more glue code. however, if you never start down this path, you have a chance of making relevant and important changes.

I do not use programming languages that have gay names

Well i dont write code so i dont use a coding language

Cool story broseph thanks for adding so much to this thread. Btw I had sexual relations with your mother.

if you have nothing else to say I stick to Perl

What's with all the hate for perl, I recently started programming in it and for the most part it's not that bad. It takes a lot of concepts from other programming languages and uses a bunch of weird symbols like PHP while using the same dynamic parsing like JS and PHP.

But it almost as fast as C or way closer then PHP I don't really see the issue with perl.

just some trolls, genuine and top level programmers have nicer opinions for Perl

if you learn Lisp and become a good programmer, you will never want to do what people do with perl. as such a good programmer, one in five managers will notice that you solve problems differently and will want to hire you to clean up after the perl programmers he used to be mortally afraid of firing, and you can push any language you want at this point -- just make sure you can find more programmers he can hire who know it and always keep your code well-documented and readable -- you do _not_ want to make any other programming language appear as random as perl to any manager. perl is already a "necessary evil", but still evil, while other languages don't have the "necessary" label, so if you screw up, it will hurt other programmers, too. this problem can always be minimized by simply being good at what you do. few perl programmers are actually good at anything but getting perl to solve their _immediate_ problems, so you have an incredible advantage if you're a good Lisper.

It's just old and has fallen out of favor by systems folks who have mostly turned to Python and Ruby, myself included.

in your post you are giving a damn good reason for using Perl

but Lisp isn't used enough, I agree