Should physical keyboards on smartphones make a comeback?

Should physical keyboards on smartphones make a comeback?

Yes.

why would they?

touch screen keyboard are superior on phones.

No.

Yes.

Maybe.

All the ones I've tried suck, so no. Unless it's the slide-out kind. But nobody makes those anymore.

>but nobody makes those anymore

thats the point user. Should companies start making them again

yes

your trips confirm

In theory, a touch screen keyboard should be able to handle any sloppiness with its auto-correct software. In reality, the auto-correct of many phones is complete and utter garbage. On my iPhone, the keyboard lags on certain apps, like Chrome, and if I type too fast, the auto-correct will not only stop working, but it will start creating an entirely new sentence full of words I didn't type. The auto-correct function also selectively doesn't work on profanity, even when it's "working," so if you aren't careful, all your "fucks" and "shits" will be misspelled while the rest of the text is spelled fine.

Also, even on a good connection, in an app where the keyboard isn't usually buggy, my iPhone will randomly correct "is" to "USB" and "and" to "Andrew." It's really, really fucking annoying to type anything beyond a few quick texts with it.

Well something like a clamshell phone but horizontally attached, like many of those cover cases would be nice having a screen protector that could fold out to be a qwerty keyboard, or fold completely back so you could use your phone like you would nowadays.

I would buy an android phone with a slide-out keyboard, but I'm willing to bet normies would take one look at the bulky icecream sandwich thick device and run like hell.

should they? yes

will they? no

nobody would buy a device that runs icecream sandwich in 2017

Blackberry is the only one who can pull it off.

Yeah this product exists and didn't sell well

I think he was saying that it has the thickness of an ICS-era device or that it'd look like a sandwich due to being a slider

>just jPhone problems

I have a Galaxy Tab Pro SM-T320 tablet and I don't even bother using the auto-correct on it, it's so bad.

I started messing with a BB 9650 lately

I miss high-end keyboard phonelets that effortlessly fit into your pocket.

Get a passport. Alternatively, stop being a manlet.

It's actually shocking how bad the implementation behind this stuff still is. Touch screens were always a bad idea. Instead of trying to translate actual keyboards to a touch screen they should have taken a completely different approach.

I already use an iShit 6+, it's okay and a larger display has its advantages but the experience on the older BB devices is pretty fucking nice and quite comfortable. Maybe it's just the novelty.

Blackberry actually puts effort into good design and it's something other than glass and aluminum.

This has never happened to me.
In fact, the problem is that it works too well, it fucks acronyms in the ass constantly and I hate it.

>it works too well, it fucks acronyms in the ass constantly and I hate it.
It doesn't sound like it's working "too well" if it's messing up your typing so badly to make you "hate it." You are contradicting yourself.

But I'm not, it works absolutely fine for me and I don't have any of those problems. The problem for me is that it works in the first place, the entire model in general is shit.

Normies don't care.

No, screen size > ease of typing. If you don't shitpost on here 24/7 on your phone its not worth sacrificing proper aspect ratio and screen size for a physical keyboard.

It should certainly be an option for people who prefer it, it's not like it would be mandatory for everyone.

I miss having my slide-out keyboard.

1:1 is a proper aspect ratio.

>his primary use for his phone is something other than communication

Yeah it is extremely comfy for watching youtube, surely.

>multitasking on smartphones
>consuming media other than music on smartphones
wew

I might agree with you if we were in the pre memeterial design era. Nowadays the amount of screenspace that's wasted with pointless whitespace for the sake of "minimalism" could easily make way for a keyboard.
That's of course if you're talking about the KeyOne style of phone which I don't like either. If you have a sliding keyboard you don't have to sacrifice anything.

I type on a 5.2" device with gboard set on short, fully disabled autocorrect and my language has shit like āšēķļīūēžņč, and I still type faster than 95% of my friends, having manlet hands is nice these days.

It's a communication device, it's not intended to only be used for bingeing pewdiepie's videos

Congrats?

No, I watch car related channels mainly since its my hobby, you probably can't grasp someone having other ways of spending their free time than gayming and chink cartoons.

What year did you crawl out of, 2003?

I neither game nor watch anime, nice try though.

>buys >€200 smartphone
>only communications and music
Wew

Cool story bro.

What's the issue?

Wasting money, well 200 is not really, but like 400 definetely is.

Thanks

Can't you just watch those in a computer like a normal person? Do you really have to watch something when you're commuting to work/school?

It's not a waste

But watching youtube in bed is so comfy, no laptop or tablet will beat it. You can lay on your side, hold the phone just barely since its so light and enjoy a nice video while you fall asleep.

I used to do this effortlessly with a tablet.

I have a tablet too, but I still prefer to use the phone. Also better to just have all the shit on a single device.

>nice try though.
stop lying, fat fuck. Post your desktop.

Literally not a problem on my android device. Kill yourself.

I love how everything you accuse me of is wrong, I'm underweight.

Wasn't me (the first user)

>macfag
You're even worse, m8.

Yes, and phones should be made out of plastic; no glass. My mother shattered the screens of two phones by dropping them within two weeks of each other.

Nah, there is literally nothing wrong with my choice in operating systems.

Tell your mom to try not dropping fragile things.

Plastic is a scratchfest tho.

>my mother is a retard, hence no phone should be made of plastic so she doesn't shatter it if it drops

>Nah, there is literally nothing wrong with my choice in operating systems.
Yes there is, it makes you a massive faggot and massive faggots are not allowed on Sup Forums.

Yes you fucking mongrel. I don't know where you've been, but most people who use smartphones are idiots.

So.. Literally everyone?

>it makes you a massive faggot
Doesn't regurgitating that ancient meme ever get old?
>massive faggots are not allowed on Sup Forums
Sup Forums is like 90% traps or people who would fuck traps

It was a good product, it was just too expensive.

I'm so mad that BlackBerry wasn't bought out by Lenovo, BlackBerry needs to re-establish itself as the thinkpad of phones, durable construction and appealing price.

Speak for yourself, cunt. If I need a phone, I use a phone. If I need a computer, I use a computer. I don't need a device that fails at being both.

Wowzers, you seem upset :^)

Seriously though, it's working out for just about everyone, not sure it's the devices that are the cause of your problem with them.

For a site that consists largely of homosexuals, there's a really low tolerance for other peoples' personal preferences on Sup Forums.

I dunno m8, calling most smartphone users retarded didn't seem very tolerant either.

yes, fuck this Korean touchscreen

It was more of a general statement. Personally, I think you're all idiots for expecting that your preference is the only one that matters.

It's like the constant win/linux compete threads. Who really fucking cares what you use? Do what you want and let everyone else do what they want; it's that simple.

Blackberry priv looked pretty nice. I'm not in for a new phone yet tho.

Wait, didn't you literally start this by saying "all phones should be made of plastic"? What if I don't want my phone screen to scratch the first time I accidentally run it over a metal zipper or something? That's a valid reason to prefer glass.

No, my only other post was

And for the record, I think smartphone screens should be synthetically-produced sapphire. That shit's tough.

We got used to the touchscreen, and we have swiping.

And they both suck ass

Well I think it's been settled

Whoops. This board needs thread-based IDs.

Agreed. Alas, that's more expensive.

I'd buy it if it wasn't 3 times as expensive as similarly speced phones. The keyboard would be awesome for app shortcuts and stuff, the phone also looks sexy as fuck imo.

Still!? Man mine just crapped out some months ago

Best tablet ever, perfect size, on 200 on amazon...I just bought it.

>he doesn't use Gboard
lmaoing@urlife senpai

I'm still irked that I had to disable its damn spellcheck via ADB. Why the hell that isn't in settings is beyond me.

>and didn't sell well
Because of issues completely unrelated to the keyboard.

this is disgusting

>Whoops.
No worries.
>more expensive.
Ideally, phones would come with options like cars do; so you pick your mainboard, screen and camera, and the back of the cases would be a flat battery cover that could be replaced with a sliding keyboard if you want it. But companies will never do it, because then people would be able to replace parts instead of buying a while new phone when they get a chip, scratch or a button stops depressing.

More options on phones and easier part replacement would be great. I was really hyped about Google's project Ara and modular smartphones in general, but that went nowhere. I think Moto Z droid is the newest attempt at a modular smartphone and supposedly it's pretty good, so we'll see where that goes.

Aside from modularity, you can actually repair a phone, but it's a major pain. Parts are sometimes hard to get and OS updates stop for older phones, so nowadays to use a phone for a longer time you have to be proficient in both hardware replacement and ROM flashing, which is just waaay too much to expect of an average consumer. So yeah, a lot could be done on this front, but manufacturers can't pull profit from it so it probably won't.

It wouldn't even need to be fully modular, just include basic features that people make purchasing decisions on. For instance, if cameras were on a card, rather than on the mainboard, people could choose their MP range independantly of the rest of the phone features. Incorporating a single usb port on the back of the mainboard to allow swapping the battery cover for a keyboard or workstation port would increase user dependancy on the device exponentially, since people could then use their phones exclusively for things that require a larger screen, as well as a keyboard and mouse.

cont.
I just think it's fucking ridiculous that the one thing that everyone owns is a device that has virtually no options.

I should be able to choose my camera, screen resolution and OS, at a bare minimum. But the only options out there are cheaply produced Android shit and overpriced Apple shit. The only choice you get with iPhones, is you can choose between white and black.

Makes sense. The battery cover swapping part would be great too, especially since many are already trying to add things to the back of the phone via cases (for extra battery and such). As for the workstation part, USB C kinda tries to cater to that, since the standard does support display as well as USB connections at once. Plus Galaxy S8 already has some sort of a desktop mode via a dock so that's pretty neat.

Welp, it's mostly choosing a device at this point. But do have a look at androids if you're looking for something specific, it took me a month to pick out my current one (which ironically ended up being the oh-so-common Galaxy S7) but i'm pretty happy with it so it's all good. GSM arena has a nice tool for feature comparison.

I think that we're getting there, but single-board phones will always be cheaper to produce, and therefore less costly to the consumer, so until we get out of the Walmart mentality and start demanding quality over low cost, we're probably stuck.

Ironically, if apple got into the modular game, they'd make bank, because Apple users would have to have every little gadget and upgrade that they come out with.
>Is that a 20.34743 MP camera? lol. You know they came out with a 20.34744 MP one last week, right? I waited in line for three days for it.

Android was better back when it had physical back/home/menu buttons.

Actually, it was better when you could have a search button too.

New flagships these days cost around 800€ though, surely they could manage something more for that price. It's just not a priority.

Hah, that's actually a good point. Especially after their terrible looking battery case, that somehow still sold.

$700 on launch, pretty ok specs, and black berry fans called the keyboard mushy. So it appealed to no one.

Why don't you own one now? Their failed launch means one costs sub $200 now

>Why don't you own one now? Their failed launch means one costs sub $200 now
Because I can't root it

Blackberry needs to get their head out of their ass and

a) Release a proper Android Passport
or
b) Release a proper horizontal Android slider with a decent keyboard

I've been using a Priv for the last year and a half and have never used to keyboard once because the vertical slider makes it too small and awkward. The KEYOne isn't solving anything.

>proper
>horizontal
Choose one

Honestly, I could take them or leave them.
I'd rather leave them, now that I think about it. I text a lot and I do not miss having weird thumb-calluses due to keys. Also, swiping is much more efficient than typing each and every individual key. Not to mention voice typing.

God I miss MagSafe. That was one of the best features about the MacBook, and Apple just had to go and ruin it.
And on top of that, they patented the hell out of it so no one else could use it. The bought the building, then burnt it down.