suckless.org/philosophy
suckless.org/rocks
suckless.org/sucks/
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
uselessd.darknedgy.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Systemctl enable no-fuc.you

I already use openrc

I'll stop using it as soon as someone points out the mythical NSA exploits.

>NULL dereference in PID 1
Hahehehahehaheheheh

What if you go dig the +550K lines of code for a exploit.
Do you see the problem?

Then when we look for example Runit that is something like 1200 lines of code you can see that SystemD is a big fucking mess.

Start realizing all PID1 has to do is run init.sh and reap dead children.

>What if you go dig the +550K lines of code for a exploit.

I'm not the one looking for reasons to hate systemd. I've been using it for years now and without any serious issues.

And all a web browser has to do is fetch HTML.

why aren't you using curl as your browser?

Linux is not Unix :)

Why? Genuine question, I'm on Arch so please enlighten me.

I use systemd- boot because I need a 64-bit boot environment to use my obscure hardware.

What are my alternatives?

systemd-boot is unironically the best and fastest

dumb systemd users are too stupid for EFIstub kernel

Will EFIstub allow me to allocate PCI I/O resources beyond 4GB of memory?

Its one kernel option, more like people that hate systemd are too stupid to learn, like yourself :)

>I've been using it for years now and without any serious issues.

The only people on the planet who have ever said this are not developers and don't do anything more than typing yaourt google-chrome neofetch to shitpost on Sup Forums

pacman -Rs systemd

doesn't werk. Help.

How could I stop using something I wasn't using in the first place?

I used to run a SystemD free distro, the only thing I noticed was that my computer booted faster and shut down quicker too. But since I'm not spending my time restarting all day (unlike some people on some OSes) I instead opted for a distro that has packages instead.

I haven't used systemd since I moved away from Linux to FreeBSD

Certainly, that ability has nothing to do with whatever you're using to load and start the kernel.

There's no problem using SysV init on Debian.

B-but muh AUR man. I needz it, I can't compile stuff manually.

Are you trying to pretend that Arch has more packages than Debian?

Yes and no, there are far more packages in Debian because in Arch many of the packages are combined. So while Debian has more packages Arch has more programs packaged (if we count the AUR too).

Who really cares which has more? 75% of the packages in the AUR and Debian repos are ancient and abandoned.

>in Arch many of the packages are combined
>Arch users will defend this

How about programs that anyone actually cares about? Please name something useful that is in Arch but not in Debian.

It is shitty, makes the whole Arch is good for weak hardware argument a meme, but that is what makes it so simple and easy to use. That is why I like it, you can just sit back and relax, let the system live its own life and not care about it. For me it is this, laziness that makes me use it.

I don't know what is or isn't in the Debian repos currently. But I think Arch usually has newer stuff.

Varg thinks all computers are immoral.

?
Curl can't display HTML pages.

You don't need to convince me that modern web browsers do far too much. Unfortunately, all web browsers suck.

Hardly newer than Unstable/Experimental.

Devuan released its 1.0 recently and I've installed it
it's nice, but I don't have much of an opinion yet

Lutris isn't even packaged, I'd have to go to the website just to download it like if I was some sort of Windows user.

But I am not Mr. Varg

I like nmtui, Do you have an alternative to that?

I was kind of opposed to it, because in my experience runit is slightly faster and much less lines of code, but quite frankly systemd is simple compared to most programs in the average gnu/linux desktop. Runit is 10k LOC, systemd is 500k... But Firefox is 15 million, the kernel is almost at 15 million. Much more important things to worry about. Unit files are incredibly easy to write compared to runit stuff and sysv boilerplate crap. Not to mention, it's easy to have units that only activate after something like network-online.target or graphical target, which I find very useful. I'm actually enjoying it but it does have a few flaws:
There's no justifiable reason for udev and logind to be integrated, presumably it's just so red hat can shill their software.
Systemd's logging is dumb and journalctl is retarded.
Also, it has since been mostly fixed, but when it first got adoption in Arch/Debian it could refuse to fully boot, and it wasn't easy to tell why because of how parallelised everything was, (in my case it was nouveau being broken, so I needed nomodeset).
And it has a few unneeded features (DNS and networkd come to mind).

>suckless.org/philosophy
>suckless.org/rocks
>suckless.org/sucks/
>suckless.org/sucks/systemd

I've been reading suckless and their philosophy and they really make you think on needless complexity and the proprietary software development practises (aka implement-all-features, user-lock-in, etc) that systemd uses and promotes.

I was clicking the links from there and reading the systemd changelogs and it's crazy how many developers contributed to implement the unneeded systemd "features" that would be better served from a simple program outside of systemd. The point is systemd is unmaintainable without a huge corporations (red hat) backing it. We are giving too much control to red hat and they are following all the practises (minus the proprietary license) that microsoft followed to lock-in users and resulted in windows becoming the bloated buggy mess it is.

Just like if microsoft open sourced or liberated windows source code it would be useless due to the complexity and lock-in accumulated all these years, I'm afraid that systemd and by association GNU/Linux distros are approaching the same state as pretty soon (if we are not already there) no one, not even red hat, could untangle systemd from it's byzantine inner-dependencies and other projects depending on it.

Systemd despite being Free software is looking more and more like a undecipherable uncontrollable black box.

Apparently Debian can still be easily freed from systemd and converted to openrc and it just needs a few changes and of course to avoid the gnome desktop. That's good and I'd rather not switch to Devuan especially with Stretch so close to release.

Systemd has merits and that's why it has been adopted by almost every distro. But the unneeded features and dependencies are increasing very fast and that's worrying

>uselessd.darknedgy.net/
Too bad that uselessd is not developed anymore, was Sup Forums associated with it?

I actually just downloaded a void linux iso.

I'll be switching to Debian 9, from Windows, when it comes out. I've been seeing the systemd threads for years now. Can someone tell me what practical advantages systemd has over other inits? Better hardware support, performance, what is it?
You don't have to tell me the "locked in" argument, I understand that one. I just want to know if I can use a simpler init without any drawbacks.

Sorry but I like to manage my servers as efficiently as possible

Thats why people use Windows...

>I've been spied on for years and never had FBI agents show up.

This is literal wincuck logic.

so the linux kernel and most of GNU is NSA spyware trash? Have you combed every line of every release of those? do you monitor the changelogs for any kinds of canaries?