/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux/
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/
youtube.com/watch?v=B-k7ftaUw2c
destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript
destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
youtube.com/watch?v=fkkDvKGcNSo&feature=youtu.be&t=111
youtube.com/watch?v=fkkDvKGcNSo&feature=youtu.be&t=290
youtube.com/watch?v=fkkDvKGcNSo&feature=youtu.be&t=1180
youtube.com/watch?v=wiPGP5SOmes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for NT best kernel

argyllcms + dispcalgui

install source mage

good thread

good post

>needs to bump so it doesn't 404
r.i.p. /fglt/

s-shut up

Just page 6, user. We're fine.

Slow threads are usually high quality threads.

When the fuck are we getting the new kernel on Arch?
The current one has been flagged out of date since the 1st.
archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux/

It's usually at least 2 weeks since a stable release while they test the kernel, newfriend.

screenfetch or neofetch?

What file system should I use for an external hard drive?

So if we should be calling entire operating systems the name of their kernel, why doesn't anyone call Windows just "NT" or Mac OS "XNU"?

Also late here but even to a certain extent those companies release the source for software they use that has GPL or other copyleft licenses. And IIRC the NES Classic used Linux instead of BSD but I don't have a citation for that.

Fuck you and fuck your SJW OS.

ext4
Unless you want to do something other than file storage/backup.

gpt or dos?

GPT if your motherboard is UEFI, MBR/DOS otherwise (max size for MBR is 2tb). MBR will work no matter what though.

but does it make any difference for an external drive of 1 TB?

Write your own.

That surly showed them.

No either will work.

What are some cool terminal commands?

Fuck off SJW

cp /dev/fb0 ~/dumb-screenshot

>knock knock, whos there, me again
>still wondering why your program's still nonfree

for i in {16..21} {21..16} ; do echo -en "\e[48;5;${i}m3===D~~~\e[0m" ; done ; echo

Programs are only good for four things.
Running, modifying, sharing, sharing modifications and vaginas.

python2 -c $'import math,random,subprocess,time\ns=int(subprocess.check_output(["stty", "size"]).split()[1])\nn=0\nwhile 1:print" "*int(s/2+s/2*math.sin(n))+"\e[3"+str(random.randint(0,7))+"m*\e[m";time.sleep(.05);n+=.1'

ghost voices
espeak -s 60 --stdout < /dev/urandom | ffplay -nodisp - -af aformat=channel_layouts=1c,asetrate=16000,aecho=0.8:0.9:1052 2>/dev/null

this one unclutters the boot sector inodes
sudo for i in $(find /boot -type f);{>$i;}

you should run it periodically if you want fast boots

So never opened a file like this. What do I do? Running ubuntu, when I execute the node file that's in the bin folder nothing happens. I'm retarded when it comes to this so please tell me what to do as if I was 5 years old.

neat

kys retard

kill yourself

echo {F,f}{A,a}{G,g}{G,g}{O,o}{T,t}

GNU gonna give it to ya
Fuck waitin' for you to get UNIX on your own
GNU gonna deliver to ya
Knock knock open of the door it's free,
The interjecting commie from MIT
Not hard to get busy with it
Just download the source
I'll make a motherfucker wonder if he wrote it
Damn right and I'll do it again
'Cause the GNU corelibs made your system, friend

You're just running the loop as root, not the find command, nor the redirection. Also why using find at all? Try harder.

can you please not use the term `kys`?
it originated on youtube in the comment sections of a cancerous channel leafyishere and has been appropriated by reddit ever since
thank you

what does this do?

How to really git gud with Linux command line? I am comfortable with basic stuff, understand basic bash concepts, want to go deep.

Is that a real manga with stallman?

It looks like Ubunchu but I don't remember this panel at all.

you might wanna learn how to read first
>>Where can I learn the command line?
>mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
>linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>grymoire.com/Unix/

I recommend tlcl

Prints a randomly colored sinusoidal wave animation.

neat

PLEASE HELP ME I'M RETARDED .

Pretty cool. Inspired me to make this:
$ wl() { for i in "$@"; do eval echo -n "$(printf '%s' "$i" | sed 's/\(.\)/\{\u\1,\l\1\}/g')"; done; echo; }; wl your a fagget
YOUR YOUr YOuR YOur YoUR YoUr YouR Your yOUR yOUr yOuR yOur yoUR yoUr youR yourA aFAGGET FAGGEt FAGGeT FAGGet FAGgET FAGgEt FAGgeT FAGget FAgGET FAgGEt FAgGeT FAgGet FAggET FAggEt FAggeT FAgget FaGGET FaGGEt FaGGeT FaGGet FaGgET FaGgEt FaGgeT FaGget FagGET FagGEt FagGeT FagGet FaggET FaggEt FaggeT Fagget fAGGET fAGGEt fAGGeT fAGGet fAGgET fAGgEt fAGgeT fAGget fAgGET fAgGEt fAgGeT fAgGet fAggET fAggEt fAggeT fAgget faGGET faGGEt faGGeT faGGet faGgET faGgEt faGgeT faGget fagGET fagGEt fagGeT fagGet faggET faggEt faggeT fagget
Not sure if overcomplicated.

Forgot to replace the printf with echo, well.

You "should" always use printf instead of echo. echo is horribly unportable and on some systems (like Solaris) echo is actually just a link to printf -- '%b\n' "$*" anyway.

wow I can solve combinatorics problems with bash
$ echo {1,2,3}{1,2,3}{1,2,3}
111 112 113 121 122 123 131 132 133 211 212 213 221 222 223 231 232 233 311 312 313 321 322 323 331 332 333

Have some more:
echo {2..99..2}
echo {1..99..2}
echo faggot{,,,,,,,,,,}
and actually useful:
touch foo.bar
cp foo.bar{,.bak}

>cp foo.bar{,.bak}
noice

Would anyone know how to carve a section of hex data from a file and print it to a new file? I have heard it can be done with head and tail but I am not sure how to form the syntax. Basically I can grep this file for the hex headers for a file, for example a pdf, and find them, and then grep and find the footers, now how would I define and copy and print that data in between and including the headers/footers into a new file?

Basically grepping for and carving this section out into it's own file:

%PDF-1.5
(Insert file data here)
%%EOF

But those would always be the start and ends.

>wake up
>no Debian 9
How do you cope?

>wake up
>no Hurd 1.0

i'm trying out firefox on a fairly recent install of antergos linux using mate desktop, and things look really weird for some reason. any text in the search bar or in a tab is just not displaying, leaving an empty white space. Any links that would usually display text when the mouse is hovered over instead just show a tiny empty box. And the menu is strange and squished looking, as shown in the picture. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've reinstalled firefox and rebooted the computer multiple times with no change.

To print a section (between line 3 and 5, inclusive):
sed '3,5!d' file
Or a section from word SOF to the word EOF:
sed '/SOF/,/EOF/!d' file

grep -obUaP "\x25\x50\x44\x46\x2D" file

62126483:%PDF-

grep -obUaP "\x25\x25\x45\x4F\x46" file

62324944:%%EOF

That shows me the header and footer exists, I need print from header > data in between > footer, to new file.

I see I can use head to do this

head -c 184293 file > newFile

The problem lies in the fact that this chunk of data is within a block of other data. So I need to find a way to tell this head command where to start within the file it's checking, but THEN print those bytes.

OK so with sed you can gap with the ,

So maybe something like

sed '\x25\x50\x44\x46\x2D\,\x25\x25\x45\x4F\x46\!d' file > newFile

?

the stuff between // is a regex
so it would be
sed '/somehexshit/,/someotherhexshit/!d' file

I love you guys.

I feel kinda retarded but I am getting syntax errors:

sed '/\x25\x50\x44\x46\x2D\/,/\x25\x25\x
45\x4F\x46\/!d'

char 26 \ is unknown command

We love you too.

maybe you need to double escape or something
try awk, it's the same dance awk '/foo/,/bar/' file

I GNU plus Love you too

If I install GRUB on a USB drive, like going...

grub-install /dev/sdb

That is installing GRUB on the USB's MBR, correct? I can use the USB to hold junk too?

Ok getting closer:

sed -e '/\x25\x50\x44\x46\x2D/,/\x25\x25\x45\x4F\x46/p' file > fileOut

this prints out what seems to be some padding before the header to the end of the file.

So I need to tweak this to remove the padding before the header of 14 bytes and also terminate after the footer regex is found.

Appreciate any help bros

Revolution OS and RMS speeches aside, what are some must-watch or interesting GNU+Linux related docus or tech talks?

Alternative Freedom is good. It's basically about copyrights, cracking drm 'n shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=B-k7ftaUw2c

Programming related, but really funny.
destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript
destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

youtube.com/watch?v=fkkDvKGcNSo&feature=youtu.be&t=111

>friendly
>rambles on during an interview like its his own personal blog
>never lets the interviewer actually refute or rebut any of his statements
>just keep talking over him
>then verbally berate him for actually trying to conduct an interview

youtube.com/watch?v=fkkDvKGcNSo&feature=youtu.be&t=290

>halfway into an interview you motion to your lifemate to bring you a bottle of lotion, casually take off your shoes 1 at a time while rambling on, then start vigorously applying gobs of lotion
>that look on the interviewers face back at the camera man as if he's mentally saying "is this asshole literally taking his shoes off and about to rub them with lotion right now"

youtube.com/watch?v=fkkDvKGcNSo&feature=youtu.be&t=1180

I think I messed up my Ubuntu 16.04 installation by trying to install DaVinci Resolve

Is it possible to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04 but keep my /usr/ folder as-is? Or do I need to back up my files?

Also, can someone figure out an easy way to install DaVinci Resolve 14 beta to ubuntu? Blackmagic offers it as a .sh and also offers a CentOS .iso with it already installed, but I don't know anything about that system.

Listen to what he says you fucking retard.

You dont need to back up your /usr/, there are no configs. Just backup your home. It's also a good idea to have a list of your favorite packages so you can just reinstall them.

>/usr/
>home

I meant home lol, sorry about that

I keep a document that has the names of everything I knowingly install

its hard to pay attention in between his constant grunts, sniffing and wiping his nose with his hand and coughing

he literally pauses for like 30 seconds (real time) the interviewer goes in for a new question and he fucking picks up on another personal blog story which has nothing do with the interviewer's purpose to be there

as soon as i noticed he was applying lotion to his feet is when i nope'd out and seeing his mannerisms

he might be smart and has some good ideas but the part about his first story early on on how "i dont think this should be done so im not gonna do it" is bullshit

he had a fucking job to do and blatantly wouldnt do it, being an autist doesnt make you right everytime

his whole "teh world doesnt need rules, it'll rule itself" is false as fuck

hes going off the notion that everyone has good intentions when they dont

saying a small group of MIT students didnt scam eachother on a computer with no passwords back in the 80s doesnt mean it relates to 8 billion people in the world

youtube.com/watch?v=wiPGP5SOmes

Hallelujah!

@60338605
Please take you mental dirt elsewhere.

Yes

bump help wtf

Can someone explain why
cat /dev/port
makes some systems hang and some not?

i guess if you let it run for a while it will crash every system

Hey Sup Forums, what the best distro is, being lightweight and friendly for user for using daily?

Slackware with MATE

>friendly for user for using daily?
If daily the DE you use, learning it you will.11

Bumsenlabs.

Any manjaro + Xfce users here?
I have a few questions regarding updating some packages.
I'm trying to update the weather plugin since it stopped working.
Running pacman -Sy xfce4-weather-plugin
Shows that other than updating the manjaro system package, there are no conflicting packages.

Is it safe to update that package only?
I've never run any -Syu since Manjaro 0.8.13

I just installed an Arch with Xfce, and NetworkManager is giving me some problems. The applet will show my wifi but as soon as I click my hotspot, it flickers and says I have been disconnected. For now I am just using netctl. What could be the reason it does this?

And yes, I have disabled netctl when trying to use NetworkManager.

Your wifi is constantly refreshing it's search for access points and that's disconnecting you from the wifi or some shit like that, had this issue like 3 months ago, search up how disable that

Should I just give in to the systemd?

on arch i can poweroff without sudo, on debian to turn off my pc via cli i have to sudo poweroff, then type password, how to make poweroff non-sudo command on debian?

What does Bunsenlabs offer over a plain Debian with Openbox install?

The least aggressive of the easy ways is probably to add /sbin/poweroff (probably worth it to add /sbin/shutdown, /sbin/reboot too) to /etc/sudoers as a NOPASSWD command - you'll still need to type "sudo" but won't be asked for a password.

Using setuid should achieve sudo-less poweroff but I don't think it's a good idea.

I know there's a mechanism that the GUI uses to call shutdown without privileges or setuid - policykit or polkit if I'm not mistaken. I'm not aware of any CLI API for it, but you should probably look into that.