Intel takes Itanium out back and shoots it

>intel takes Itanium out back and shoots it

Thank you based AMD for saving us from that hellish nightmare, I will forever be your faithful customer.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/intels-itanium-cpus-once-a-play-for-64-bit-servers-and-desktops-are-dead/

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.gigabyte.us/thread/886/am4-beta-bios-thread?page=55
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

AMD64 is the true hellish nightmare. Instead of getting pure nice 64 arch we got compromise city.

Thank you Mr Keller for wrecking IA64's shit, we are in your debt.

I-IT'S NOT FAIR, EPIC WAS SUPPOSED TO WIN!

Eh, the only reason x86 has hung around for so long, and is so popular is backwards compatibility. They've been plenty of opportunities to replace it in the consumer space in the past, but none have succeeded because they don't have the same software support.

Itanium will still be around for a while, HPE intends to continue support till 2025.

It's on life support. No more new CPUs.

OKAY

Whatever

You AMD fags should be proud of yourself

You destroyed an industry and a great line of chips for "muh profit"

I hope you enjoy lost data and horrible shit, hot, poo servers you fucking retards

Fuck you for ruining anything good

>great
Itanium was so bad AMD did not even need K8 to kill it. Intel's own Xeons were better.

>Itanium
>Great line of chips

kek

THAN YOU BASED SHITWRECKER & FRIENDS FOR SAVING US FROM THE ABOMINATION THAT IS IA-64 AND EPIC.

Amd saved Intel you faggot, they allow Intel to make x86-64 can compete with them,

it doesn't matter in practice at all

lmao

It won at being an EPIC FAIL!

>shitanium

DOA trash.

>32nm in a 2017
CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
Not even the shittiest ARM shit is done on such old ass process lmao

The only reason Itanium still exists is because of contractual obligations with HPE, Intel hasn't been doing anything more than they had to

>HP literally paying Intel to keep making shittanium

why the FUCK would anyone buy an Itanium based system knowing it was DOA? Osborne effect??

wait, haven't they been dead since ~2003?

HP shitcanned PA-RISC (which was head to head with Alpha) and then Alpha when they bought Compaq since they thought Itanium would succeed
They kept living on this delusions until 2013 or so, thought Intel had pretty much abandoned most Itanium development since 2006~
By the time it was impossible to pretend that Intel would keep developing Itanium they were way too invested on it, with massive contractual obligations to keep supporting and selling systems for quite some years

>lost data
What the fuck are you smoking pajeet?

2003-2006 was their golden age, when they were actually decent chips for high-end/misson-crit systems after Intel released the second generation in the wake of the shit show that was Merced.

They pretty much died with Tukwila, even HP migrated away from them in quite a few cases. Shame, since they actually could have been decent if Intel bothered paying attention to them after their initial delusions got stamped out. Maintaining two separate architectures is a pain, though, so I don't really blame them.

>Implying it wasn't Intel that ruined everything

Itanium was garbage. The big iron RISCs killed by intel through bribing were far more performant and reliable than this EPIC piece of shit architecture ever was.

The DoD keeps alive many old failed computing platforms. Even symbolics still has a multi-million support contract with the military.

ia64 was high performance compared to amd64 when it comes to compiling huge amounts of code.

Either way both are trash and should bow down to ppc64 HPC masterrace.

True.

The network proper is mostly Windows 08R2/2012/7/10, with RH servers sprinkled in where project managers could escape the grasp of MS's hold.

Stupid things like IA64 and the like still exist in application-specific roles, where some high-availability critical system was set up with meme hardware/software 20 years ago, but nobody wants to take the risk of migrating it to something modern. So tons of money gets spent on keeping that system running.

Also the DoD is all about support contracts. Since the DoD generally sucks at IT, they like to be able to put in a ticket and have a ($$ motivated) company produce a quick turnaround. I know guys in my workcenter who can put in a ticket with Microsoft and get a windows feature patched in like a week.

PPC hasn't seen a new product since 2007
POWER isn't the same as PowerPC

This was the 2000s, not the '90s, the only "big iron RISC" worth a shit by then was POWER and even that, like the Itanium, offered fuck all outside of HPC and mission-critical systems versus the commodity NT/x86-based hardware that had been vigorously gaping every orifice of the high-end since the Pentium Pro showed companies they don't have to shell five figures for a piece of neglected archaic trash for anything beyond office productivity anymore.

SGI was just sitting around with their thumbs up their asses rehashing the R10K over and over and over again while exclaiming to everyone who so much as looked at them funny that MIPS and IRIX were history before Intel and HP even had a decent prototype.

Sun was doing the same shit, still trying to get four figures out of hotted-up Celeron shitboxes with a 1997-era UltraSPARC II in the socket and five out of total horse shit USIII workstations that were always one or two steps behind even fucking Apple in adopting faster memory standards, storage and expansion buses.

Even shit like HPPA and the Alpha were half-baked shit even before they got shitcanned for Itanium, you got maybe a 10% boost for 150% of the cost of an NT workstation that did the same shit and more.

It's fun to jerk off to the '90s marketing hype with the rest of them, and the systems were fucking fascinating, even the shitty later ones, but please, there's a reason all of that shit died as soon as AMD64/EM64T kicked down the last post of that shit show of a fence.

FUCK YOU

Why the fuck would Intel be the one crying when they've been trying to back out of this since 2006? Dumbfuck wojakposter.

Wii U came out in 2012, it's still used in embedded products as well. WD My Books (I don't know if it's a specific model or all) use PowerPC processors

Is this the new AGESA update? forum.gigabyte.us/thread/886/am4-beta-bios-thread?page=55

The only reason (Unix) RISC died off is because of MICROSHIT WINDAIDS and INTEL. Has there ever been a more KEKED combination? MICROSHIT on INTEL has been a pile of trash ever since the PC first launched.

Thank fuck for based Stallman, imagine the ultra-cuck world we would have without him.

VMS.

Okay, let's put x86 completely aside for a minutes.
In a direct comparison of x86_64 and Itanium, which was the better 64bit solution?

Don't even bother factoring in backwards compatibility. That's not in the scope of this question.

Itanium was Netburst on steroids. That VLIW arch with very long pipelines sounds good in theory but the reality is that real-world compilers for such an arch are incredibly difficult.

AMD64 fixed most of the sins of x86 with plenty of registers and a nice standardized vector baseline, along with nice extras like NX. It's good enough and a bit more, along with being backwards compatible.

It will be nice when the arch can dump the BC and focus more silicon on the 64-bit mode, only a minor boost but it will finally stretch its legs.

For someone who seems to value the idea of freedom with that reference to "based Stallman" you sure love sucking proprietary cock.

The reason MICROSHIT WINTARDS and INTEL killed off your precious hipster shit is because they did the same job for $6,000 that SGI wanted to sell you a $16,000 system to do, while also not chaining you by the scrotum to the whims of an unstable, ultra-proprietary single vendor run by dipshits with no idea what their own market actually is.

>tell me what the better one is
>but don't actually factor in practicality, I just want to hear the marketing pitch
Congratulations, you fell prey to the same bullshit that destroyed half of the high-end computing industry of the 1990s.

>same job

Buddy I was there and only an incompetent pajeet could believe that there was any comparison between wintel and solaris sparc.

Look, we all know that x86_64 if a far more practical solution than Itanium was. Leaving that in the mix would result in a predictable outcome so it wouldn't be worth asking. That's why I asked for it to be put aside, so shut your whore mouth if you don't have anything to say.

That was definitely true around 1995 when NT was still a piece of shit with no software or decent hardware to run on, but by 1998 or so it was clear the gap was closing, and by 2000 any shitbox with 2K could handle a good 80% of the jobs that used to need a workstation for just fine.

I use Slowlaris 10 almost every day just for fun, and you can pry my Ultras out of my cold, dead hands, but don't think for a second I won't acknowledge where NT solutions offered a far better and more versatile experience.

The problem with looking at things without that lens is that what you're going to get out of it is fucking useless, and you'll just end up making the same shitty mistakes everyone else made.

But I won't disagree that there might still be interesting things that could be learned even ignoring this, you merely got caught up in my shitposting and I'll leave it.

Plus, the guy above me explained it well. My limited personal experience with IA64 doesn't have me convinced that it's the train wreck the memesters wont shut the fuck up about, but it was nothing to write home about either.

>Plus, the guy above me explained it well.
Exactly. He explained it well while you just said there was no point.
Just shut up.

i always love waking up and reading this board argue

>AMD64 is the true hellish nightmare. Instead of getting pure nice 64 arch we got compromise city.
Are you, retarded?

IA-64 wrecked its own shit, Keller didn't even need to intervene.
First they put a stupid slow x86 emulator on it, then they charged out the wahzoo.

Still we got some nice stuff out of it like UEFI and GPT.

As do I but probably not for the same reasons you do.

There's something about this board, and being Anonymous, that means you almost always have two sides available to an argument. It means without doing much research you can often get the important points of each side just by encouraging the debate a little, then you just have to work out which one is actually correct.

>forecast: 40 billion USD
>actual: 2 billion USD

aaaaAAAAAHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Transmeta had some cool VLIW chips.
Shame all they ever did was emulate x86.
They should have had some register that would let nerds hand-optimize small things in VLIW-assembly while otherwise mostly staying in x86-land.

That is one old meme.

Performant is not a word

>The reason MICROSHIT WINTARDS and INTEL killed off your precious hipster shit is because they did the same job for $6,000 that SGI wanted to sell you a $16,000 system to do
They didn't until 2000, just like Jobs didn't deliver something close to a 3M machine until his NeXT days