/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to improve specs or build quality or to lower price, etc

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be easily installed on the latest AMD or Intel chipsets

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Useful as a tier/increment-based resource only; see the pcbg pcpartpicker for more reasonable builds.

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/GdzGM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/kkMknn
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kpfb6X
ebay.com/itm/New-Lenovo-Thinkpad-P51-i7-7700HQ-Quadro-M1200M-FHD-16GB-DDR4-256GB-SSD-3Yrs-Wty-/272667893547?hash=item3f7c45df2b
us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-SLI-PLUS.html#support-hdd
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236665),
a.co/5qLh4bT
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106003
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

does my pc need a sound card to make sounds -_-

Intel CPU notes
>100 series chipsets (Z170, B150, ect) don't work out of the box with Kaby Lake
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo", which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory

General commentary
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, e.g, 3000MHz) RAM in conjunction with a Z270 or B350/X370 series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a CPU overclock
>The only worthwhile 1080p gfx cards are the GTX 1050, RX 570, 4GB RX 580, 6GB GTX 1060 (GTX 1070 is acceptable but severe overkill)
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, DOTA2, Rocket League, etc

Mobos have integrated sound, you cute little retard

Case: Enthoo Primo SE(Green)
CPU: R7 1700x
MOBO: Asus Crosshair VI
MEM: 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000mhz
Storage: 480 gb WD BLK M.@ NVME
480GB OCZ Trion 150 SSD 480GB,960GB OCZ 150 SSD
GPU: x2 Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti SLI
PSU: 1000 WT EVGA Supernova P2
Cooling: Custom Loop
Cables: Cable Modz Custom
Moniter: Samsung UD590 28" 4K
Keyboard: Corsair K90 platinum RGB
Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro
Sound: Yamaha MG10XU sound Board, AIAIAI Head phones, Blue yeti pro XLR Mic
Extra: Wired Xbox 360 Controller

what is the HDD sweet spot in terms of value?
4tb? 8? I'm re-doing my HTPC/home server/hoarding rig

>logicalincrements.com/
Are you the owner of that site?
The only person that'd post that is him. A known shill who recommends bad parts because suppliers pay him to and give him free components.

That shit doesn't belong in the OP.

Some of the builds don't make sense, either. Like a 1050 over a RX460. On recent benchmarks, driver updates have the RX460 far surpassing the 1050 at less cost.
And though some of the builds are okay, the title "mid-range" is meaningless and to recommend the i3-7100 at all is also terrible.

Previous OP was a lot more informative and clear but idk I'll let others judge.

>also best cheap 1440p build. pcpartpicker.com/list/GdzGM8 Will have to turn down to high/very-high in a handful of poorly optimized games like Dishonored 2 and GR Wildlands to stay above 60fps.

Usually it seems that 3Gb and 2Gb go on sale for the best $/Gb.

2TB 7200RPM $/GB is the same as 4TB 5400RPM $/GB last I checked

can i clone my laptops hhd to my new builds ssd so i dont have to redownload all my programs and buy a new operating system?

thanks. it's for media storage so I don't really care about speed, and the less disks the better, since I'm going to end up filling every slot in the case and I don't want to buy a new one. 4tb HGST it is.

$4000ish. Also Gaming and video editing, Sorry missed some of the OP's Request

The Falcon is /ourguy/, though.

yes you should be able to find a easy cloning software and if your laptop has room pop it in and map it to do so.

>samefag
That's just wrong.

>Are you the owner of that site?
No, but it's a Sup Forums tradition, born from Sup Forums

>On recent benchmarks, driver updates have the RX460 far surpassing the 1050 at less cost.
Source?

>to recommend the i3-7100 at all is also terrible.
Not really. I've noticed that the extra few MHz between the G4560 and i3 7100 really help the minimums. (Same with frametimes between the old FX 6300 and 6350.) It's a midpoint between the G4560 and the R5 1500X. Having said that, I wouldn't buy the i3 7100

windows 10 pro oems are like $5 on allkeyshop

With how the internet is today, I don't really fret about a full system restore. So just getting a new OEM is my usal choice with a new build so thanks for the site user.

>Previous OP was a lot more informative
In a sense I agree, but it was also a lot more cluttered and some of the info was a little off, like the graphics card recommendations.

Before I came in and took over the old-old OP, it was bare bones. I guess it's kinda my fault for starting a trend where the OP has too much text.

Hi /pcbg/, building a new PC and was wondering if it will work. Open to suggestions!

It's going to be used for gaymen, VR gaymen, and besides that just general PC use. 3000$ budget. Thanks!

pcpartpicker.com/list/kkMknn

>buying an os
>buying win10

you're doing it wrong.

Better than going with shady hooks.

I want to build a budget PC for mainly shitposting, and playing old games (Need for Speed 2010 and DMC4). Which CPU is better for me: Pentium G4560 or Athlon X4 860K?

I'd get 2666 DR if it's not much more. But 2400 DR is okay for most games. Much better than 2133 and 2400 SR at least.

It's only at it was also a lot more cluttered
Well I agree with that. Someone was working on making a simple one-page thing on a wiki-like site with images.
Part of the info in the OP being a bit "eh" in some cases was lack of being able to fit an appropriate explanation in 2000 characters.

Still way better than recommending logical increments which is responsible for the most awful builds.

Pentium so you can have a better shit accessories

>pcpartpicker.com/list/kkMknn
Doesn't seem like a lot of PC for $1700, but seems like a decent build anyway.

G4560, I'd assume. Look at benchmarks.
And yeah, newer platform with the Pentium. That's the one reason I'd recommend people upgrade from a 4670k to Ryzen instead of just getting a 4790k on the same platform.

>search RX 560 on newegg to see if it's out yet

>car hubcaps, reading glasses and inkjet cartridges

Allowing third party sellers was a mistake.

The 1050 still looks better to me. This is from the most recent TechPowerUp summary (a 1080Ti review).

And then you have games like Ghost Recon Wildlands where the 460 just sucks. The 1050 isn't much better, but it's clearly going to perform significantly better on medium settings. I'll post the graph in the next reply

The minimums are a 30% difference

Does compatibility list mean anything in regard to ssd m.2 compatibility. I want to get 500gb m.2 but it only shows the 250gb version of that m.2 ssd.

>pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

The 1080p/144Hz build recommends a 7700 coupled with a 1070. I already have a 4770 (but not overclocked). Will 4770 + 1070 be sufficient for 1080p/144Hz or will the 4770 bottleneck me?

If there is a compatibility issue, it's likely that updating your BIOS will fix it. You can also call the mobo manufacturer's support

On a related note, what is a good value 240-256GB m.2 SSD?

this
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kpfb6X

or this
ebay.com/itm/New-Lenovo-Thinkpad-P51-i7-7700HQ-Quadro-M1200M-FHD-16GB-DDR4-256GB-SSD-3Yrs-Wty-/272667893547?hash=item3f7c45df2b

That build recommends a 7700K with the assumption that the user will overclock or at least enable the all core turbo available on Z100 and 200 series chipsets.

You might get a slight bottleneck with the older CPU at 1080p, but if you turn the graphics settings up enough you can force the bottleneck back to the gfx card. Anyway the beauty of a 144Hz monitor is that you don't have to worry about the problems associated with vsync on a 60Hz monitor.

TL;DR interpretation: You'll be fine.

If you dont' have an SSD, make sure you get one.

>On a related note, what is a good value 240-256GB m.2 SSD?
Intel 600p 256GB

I want to get Samsung 850 evo and it doesn't show the 2.5" or the m.2 on the compatibility list for this motherboard. Is the compatibility list irrelevant? It doesn't even show rx580 on the list for the motherboard.

Did you just out yourself as an obvious shill?
You're citing a "performance per dollar" chart that doesn't list what dollar amount it's going by. Probably launch MSRP and launch drivers. And then you cherry picked a single Gimpworks game.

Don't respond anymore. Waste of time to argue with someone like you.

The monitor you picked is crap at normal viewing distance.

Anyway those builds aren't even close to the same. Add context

forgot link
us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-SLI-PLUS.html#support-hdd

Hows the 1700x going? Would it be worth upgrading to from a 3570k?

need some advice. my pc is getting a bit old, so I want to upgrade it, but I have some debt to pay first (it's to my parents for tuition, so it's not urgent, but still)

current pc is 2500k, r9 290, and a chink 1440p panel that has some vertical fuzz every 10 pixels (not very noticeable, but still not perfect)

cpu would either be a ryzen 1600 or maybe 1700, but a new cpu would cost the most. gpu 1070 or 1080, but i rather wait for vega. so I think I want a new monitor

should I get 4k or 1440p?

pros of 1440p monitor (~$600)
>144hz, freesync, probably a better stand than a $600 4k
cons
>will probably be outdated in 2-3 years

pros of 4k
>newer than 1440p so it'll hold its value a bit longer
cons
>no 144hz, probably shitty stand, also no way my 290 can run it at decent frames/resolution

i think 1440p 144hz is the sweet spot for my budget and needs. thoughts?

I'll keep that in mind, but I'm looking for something slightly cheaper if possible.

>Probably launch MSRP and launch drivers
You fucking nigger. TechPowerUp supposedly retests all games and gfx cards with each review.

And don't whine to me about gimpworks. I own the 470 and even with godrays etc disabled, Wildlands runs like shit because of the fairly long draw distance in the game. Wildlands is not a niche, cherrypicked game. If I wanted to do that and trash AMD I'd post pic related

100Hz 1440p at about 27". Wait until you can get good HDR.

It won't be outdated ever at that size and a normal viewing distance.

I think I fucked up Sup Forums.

was repairing a computer and I'd pulled the ram chips and didn't fully re-seat them and so when I powered it back up the computer started beeping something fierce.

Cut the power and re-seated them and now it won't boot up..... did that kill the motherboard?

hey guys so i built my pc two days ago and everything turned out fine except the case fans. They wont turn on. i plugged them in to the system fan pin on the mobo and they still wont turn on

yeah that's why I'm deadset on 144hz, as even if the resolution becomes outdated, the high refresh will make it enjoyable

really tempted to grab this (newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236665), even though it's refurbished. I haven't seen anything even close to it in a year

Would impact to mobo with smartphone from 1ft (~30cm) height damage my mobo?

I have thread on
About it, but people are slow there

>pcpartpicker.com/list/kkMknn
consider sacrificing looks to buy a 1080ti other than that it's okay. You can save 150 easily plus more if you get a seasonic psu for half the evga price at the cost of gold certification.

What's the current go-to cheap 1080p freesync IPS monitor?

I dropped a btl beer beside my case whilst installing a mobo. It died. No idea about dropping a phone in it though. Doubtful it'd kill it unless something broke.

Seasonic is fucking king of psu

Very unlikely unless it physically broke a component

don't spend a lot on 1080p. 1080p is garbage.

Would it be safe to run 4 120mm Silent fans rated at 0.20 A each run of a single case fan header?

yes, you'll be effectively getting 12 more threads and a large IPC increase. Plus better on mother board features and ddr4 ram.

>cheap

Could it? Yes, if you're really unlucky and it landed just right on something.

Did it? Probably not.

I'm putting my first machine together this Thursday. I'm scared guys.

If you put too many fans on a header, all that will happen is the fans will spin slower.

Or fry the header by pulling too many amps from it. potato potato

God speed moon cat.

That *shouldn't* damage the motherboard. I would guess you damaged the RAM

could be a power supply issue. Not enough power. Or, you might need to configure those headers in BIOS, they maybe default set to off for some stupid reason.

I've got this one a.co/5qLh4bT

Got it on sale for $100 sadly i don't have an ayymd gpu to confirm but from the reviews it confirms that it has freesync.

>just bought 16gb of 3000mhz dominator platinum memory
>going to sell my 16gb of 2666mhz vengeance memory
>the vengeance sticks cost $30 more than when i bought them

Yeah, just like how plugging too many things into a USB hub will draw too many amps.

Hint: that's not actually what happens when you plug too many things into a USB hub.

Bought 2 of these for my first dual monitor setup, how much buyer's remorse should I have(note I don't care about 1440/4k or 144hz)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106003

you probably messed up somewhere, doubt it's the ram or if it is it was not properly seated or something.
dismount and remount everything one by one, start with only psu, mobo & cpu, then climb the way up by adding gpu, then hard drives, etc

>cheap
>ips
Even if there is a cheap one, you don't like that. It'll ghost and have halo glow.

>Acer

Hope and pray for no dead pixels :^)

The usb hub has a chip set controlling it, your Fan headers get power from your 24 pin which goes through mechanical pipelines consisting of capacitors and transistors, electricity will try to flow if you give it a reason like splicing more and more fans onto it but the "pressure" or amps that will cause can fry your board.

If i have an i7 6700k is there any reason at all to get a 7700k?

no

Can I build anything decent for gaming but easily upgradable later with no hassle for roughly $400 or slightly over?

Last computer exploded on me so i don't have much I can salvage from it.

A lot. Dual monitor is better with thin bezels

Of course not

Who's the best RX 580 vendor? Thinking about getting Sapphire Pulse RX 580. Is it silent? Not hot?

Yeah, $400 will get you playing LoL and stuff of that tier

You've got a case at least! That puts you like $50 ahead.

Get this one saphirre is not a good brand they are like biostar for gpus

woah, I thought sapphire is top tier radeon vendor, ok

>You've got a case at least!

I wish. It got fucked up in the explosion.

Sheesh, that sucks man

Posted this is the old thread didn't know you all had a new one. Anyway.

My CPU casing has white spots growing in it. Looks like mold. Is it time to get a new casing? Or just reuse one?

Also what is a good step up from the i5 4600? I finally have a real job and can afford to buy real stuff now.

What is top vs bottom? Is that chipset?

Something exploded hard enough to damage the CASE? What the fuck

OP is manipulating shill tier.

He is full of shit

No help?

Anyone else think logical increments should be removed from the OP? Its component matching is misleading and pcpartpicker is a much better place to start, even for total novices. Just speaking from experience desu

What do you mean by CPU casing?

By CPU casing i assume you mean the computers case just strip all electronics out of it and give is a soak in bleach water then scrub off the now dead mold

Case cracked from it and took part of the fan off with it and melted some of the wiring.

My tower casing.
It has rust which I sandpapered off and spray painted over as a DIY hack job but recently when i was cleaning it I noticed white spots at the bottom.

I tried doing it with alcohol to kill the mold and it worked but also took the paint with it.

so? Its a little paint its not mold that will destroy it

So I should just reuse my casing?

>//pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
REMINDER
Sup Forums would never ever recommend a 3Gb 1060 under any circumstance.
>Win7 and 8.1 cannot be easily installed on the latest AMD or Intel chipsets
Or suggest that you need Win 10.
Let alone give you a walk through on how to click a fucking hyperlink.

OP needs to neck himself.

Yes why wouldnt you? Unless you want a new case

Seems logical. What about my CPU? What would be a good upgrade from a i5-4670?

I would say a 7600k but only if you feel the current one isnt cutting it anymore never upgrade just to upgrade

I hate to post without a component list, but I'm a total noob to PC building. I play EVE, so all I care about is building a PC that can run EVE, Discord, and mumble simultaneously.
What is the cheapest rig that could handle that? My laptop got fried and I need to replace it ASAP, but I don't think I can go about $800 max including a monitor.

This tbqhf

you don't need to upgrade untill you are willing to go for i7 7700 or for ryzen 1600 or 1700 if you want more threads
>I would say a 7600k
that would be terrible upgrade

>would never ever recommend a 3Gb 1060 under any circumstance.
i fully support that statement never buy eunuch card especially one that hid its castration also 3gb of ram are not enough

unless you dont play game or play cs go but than you dont need card with 1060 power and can go for something much cheaper