Previous thread: >>60305948 →

Previous thread: →

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN 2570P, T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/28piBq7W

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-TravelMate-IP-P645-S-i5-5200U-2-2Ghz-8GB-256SSD-14-Win-7-Laptop-/272667375599?hash=item3f7c3df7ef:g:cNsAAOSwlMFZFIlT
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First

I'm looking for a laptop for AutoCAD/Sketchup and other shitty CAD memes
afaik Autodesk software it's fucking awful and they drop support for older GPU's pretty fast, and CPU rendering it's slow as balls
I'm looking at an Elitebook 8470p with a i5-3320M and a Radeon HD7570M (still Terascale, but I guess it should be better than Intel graphics in everything)
Should I look for a T430 with NVS 5400M (fucking thermi)? Would an older T420 (NVS 4200M) or a 8460p (HD6470M) work good enough for 2D and a bit of basic 3D CAD?
Or could Intel HD4000 graphics be good enough?
Or should I dare to get some plastic wonder shitbook from lelnovo or someone else?

third for I have an x220.

T70 elder god race.

i7-7700HQ
Supports DDR4-3000, 2x PCI-E x4 M.2.
Internal display resolution up to 2048x1536.

It's when the screen looks brighter/dimmer in some parts, it's due to the LCD being damaged by pressure
It's rare since most people aren't niggers trying to destroy their chinkpads, but it can happen on shitty storage conditions, like putting a ton of shit on top of the lid
I run Ubuntu MATE on my X60, everything is pretty responsive except Firefox and Chromium which might shit themselves when loading the catalog and sometimes when loading shitty modern websites
btw, I have a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo
>Somewhat impressive.
C2D's are as fast as the latest Atom's, graphics wise the 945G was still receiving new features on the *nix word in 2013
That chipset was still shipping on the first Chromebooks despite being launched in 2004, it's easily the most common iGP ever made, that's why it is still kind of supported on Win10
About 1/2 minute on my Core Duo X60, I suspect most of that time it's spent loading shit instead of rendering, the 4chanX catalog seems harder to render
Can scroll easily and without problems, the vi styles site it's much harder than this
>wat is race to idle
You aren't supposed to run at full load all the time my senpai
My T420 has the same contrast, I profiled it with a colorimeter
You buy a PATA-SATA adapter and try to fit it inside as well as you can
Otherwise you can use a CF card as an SSD, or buy a PATA SSD for a lot of shekels
Check iPod Classic modding
iGP improves a lot every generation (that's where their up to 15% improvement comes from), and Intel drops driver support every 2 gens, sometimes less
Otherwise you only get a bit better battery life, you would get better thermals if Intel wasn't kike'ing you with shitty TIM
Helix/Yoga series are the replacement, they're shit as you would expect

Remember to stop getting gimped by sata II lads

you forgot your trip

>you forgot your trip
Not xsauc or the other trips, I rarely come to /tpg/ nowadays or even post on Sup Forums, reddit has ruined this place way too much
Neither a namefag, just user

Any 2.5" 4TB HDD for me cumpad?

There are no 2,5" 9,5mm/7mm drives with capacity larger than 2TB on the market. Sorry senpai.
The only way to go is 2x2TB.

Just got my t470 in the mail today. Feelsgoodman.

Came with Windows 10 though. What should I replace it with? Considering Arch, Debian, or K/Xubuntu, but I've never used debian or Arch. Anyone know of any guides I should check out?

shiet, I was really fucking sure they existed.

Nope. Even worse - the only 2TB 9,5mm/7mm drives are made by Samsung and Seagate (which is basically same company)

thoughts on the X1 carbon I'm getting either that or an X230, X1s are still more expensive in my country. My current X201 is down to its last USB port and is randomly shutting down has been a beast though.

3rd Gen ultrabooks usually have disappointing battery life. I'd say the X230 is a more surefire option

Arch, the whole reason you got it was to fuck with Linux and there is no reason to mess around with baby shit.

Out of the brand new thinkpads to buy, what does Sup Forums recommend? In Australia for reference

I've got a T470, its an okay machine for 700, i5 8 gb ram , 256 ssd, fhd model. my complaints are:

keyboard mushier than I'm used to ( coming form exclusive desktop computer work)
the weird ruberized lid catches fingerprints like a mother fucker
Non bleeding edge distros have tearing issues from the lack of kabylake support.
No way to make the trackpoint more sensitive in Linux (/GNU fuck you stallman copy-pasta)

Pro's:
Fucking fantastic battery life (I do have the 72wHr 2nd battery) I get around 12 Hours of use spread out over 3-4 days before I have to recharge
easy to service, popped the SSD and ram in myself in less than 8 minutes
brightness is better than i would have thought with the notebookcheck review, I live in Hawaii so its always sunny as fuck and I've never had issues with the readability
Temps are great, I live in Hawaii so its usually 32 degrees outside, and this thing idles at 34, load @ 57 (used celsius since its more commonly used when talking about computer temps)
The non-backlit keyboard doesnt ever get grimey or slick from hand sweat, Hawaii, hot, hand sweat, not a big deal with the bumps on the non backlit keyboard
The keyboard feels full, I dont feel like "This is a laptop keyboard, I can tell because everything is so cramped", its very expansive, and comfortable to type on

Wait last thread was ok

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN 2570P, T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience

Oh it's you againg. That explains everything

OP I appreciate how you're trying to make people aware of the 2570p but at least put /tpg/ in the title you faggot

Depends on the generation. But the displays until the 4th Gen are just awful

I've had my X220 for two years now (bought used) fully specced out and it has been the most reliable computer I've ever had. Been dropped multiple times, spilled water over the keyboard, left in scorching sun for hours and still looks and feels like a new machine. I've replaced battery, upgraded ram and display and replaced palm-rest, something you can't do that easily nowadays.

Makes a tough act to follow though, is the X270 any good? Just from the pictures it seems kinda flimsy, are the images deceiving? What about user upgradebility?

honestly the whole no thunderbolt is a kick is to the crotch also
>768 and 1080p
>current year
this is why I hate lenovo. when your competitor offers to ship a 13" laptop with darn good build quality and a qhd screen with obongo preinstalled it just makes lenovo look like theyve been sitting on their hands
>but muh battery life
is also great on the qhd xps 13
>but muh milspec
x270 doesnt even have drainage holes.

its like lenovo is purposefully shitting on the thinkpad name
>E570p has a 1050 ti
>T570 has 940mx
>inb4 if I'm already buying a thinkpad with a dgpu for whatever reasons gaymen related or not why is lenovo cucking me with this mx shit
from 2017 line up only the TB3 models are woth it if you need TB3 and nothing since xx30 models is worth giving a shit

>E570p has a 1050ti
You forgot to mention it has the 2GB version, which is FUCKING SHIT. And this shit is being sold for $1300.
Never buy modern shitpads, unless you enjoy being cucked

I'd rather have a 2gb 1050ti than a 2 gb 940mx

2GB dGPUs misses the point of having a dGPU.

If I want to put an ayylmao TN screen in my t430, do I have to do anything extra to make it work? (BIOS flash, add a chip like on the x230, etc.)

>remove caps lock light indicator on monitor's LED row
>add light indicator to physical caps lock key
>add text popup on-screen to let user know caps lock was toggled

lenovo logic

am i the only one pissed off by this? I've never seen anyone criticize this before. The software popup isn't even color-based, so instead you have to read the plaintext words "ON" or "OFF" to know the status.

Are these still available? Where do I order?

>5th Gen i5
>SSD
>8GB
>230 bongs

ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-TravelMate-IP-P645-S-i5-5200U-2-2Ghz-8GB-256SSD-14-Win-7-Laptop-/272667375599?hash=item3f7c3df7ef:g:cNsAAOSwlMFZFIlT

Any reason not to get this? Is Acer shitty?

>Is Acer shitty?
It's like it's your first time ever looking at laptops.

Stop memeing and start elaborating

Either way I've been looking for a good couple of days now and haven't found specs that come close to this yet for this price.

really good price to performance for the first three months. Then its worse than T60 that you paid too much for

Acer is terrible. Shit cooling and shit build quality.

>first three months.
How is this possible? Does it start menopause?

basically
what acer gives you in specs is skimped on in cooling, design, build quality, display quality etc.

My X220 Tablet has this problem where the microphone will work for the first 3 seconds that it's started, but quickly fades to nothing.

Any idea what is happening?

t. acer previously an acer owner. I got old laptop with really good specs and for a really good price but it was shit was a year or so

Yeah, on closer inspection, it's running a 1366x768 display. Maybe this could be replaced?

What

Is there a good reason for Thinkpads to lack a HDMI port? e.g. the T420 doesn't have one even though HDMI was already out for 10 years when it was released.

Is it because they thought DisplayPort was the future?

DisplayPort is the future, and the future is now.

You need to extend the LVDS cable, which it's usually accomplished by buying a longer cable and hacking it, which seems easy but apparently can be kinda hard
Some user here fucked like 5 cables at it and the page at Thinkwiki recommends buying a few
Most people just run GNU/Linux and never experience this, or they avoid most Lenovo bloatware
>Is it because they thought DisplayPort was the future?
Displayport had no royalties back then and was well adopted by pro monitors/projectors, it also had more features and bandwidth than HDMI
And passive Displayport-HDMI adapter have always been somewhat cheap and easy to find

DisplayPort is the future.

For some reason they just missed the stopgap that was HDMI.

It's fine now though, everything has DP and if anything VGA + DP is now better than HDMI + DP.

I have no idea why they JUST started shipping ThinkPads with HDMi and REMOVED the VGA port.

>Most people just run GNU/Linux and never experience this, or they avoid most Lenovo bloatware

That only removes the software functionality meant to (poorly) compensate for the hardware design downgrade.

I was told you should only open and close your Thinkpad with both hands to prevent bending from habitually only putting pressure on one side. Sorry for the poor wording.

Is doing the "hang loose" gesture (pic related) when opening/ closing good enough to not cause damage over time? I am 5'10 and have average hands. Does the model and contextual size matter

Opinion on the x131e?

There's a seller on eBay right now selling them with 128gb SSD, 4gb ram, and Intel i3 1.9ghz, for $83 shipped (or best offer).

I was JUST about to buy a $55 SSD for my old Lenovo S10 netbook, but this is like $30 more for a whole laptop with the same SSD storage and exponentially better specs all around.

x100e/x120e/edge11/edges doesn't lack hdmi
and x120e is literally the best thinkpad out there.

>edge

>Le AMD E350

NO.

>he never used x120e with i3 edge motherboard
You'd know what I'm talking about. x120e is pure love.
Get one senpai~

>le i3-380u via edge 11 motherboard
fixd for you
also e350 is good enough for basic shitposting-type work. All you have to do it undervolt it a little bit.

Anybody? He just sent me a counteroffer of $65 (77.50 shipped). Worth it?

First ThinkPad.

I picked up this T420 for 100$ I also ordered a replacement mouse pad sticker cause that one is worn, it has the original battery still has the HDD and caddy, but no AC adapter, which was 10$ on amazon.

Howd I do?

Gonna use it for light music stuff, browsing, and getting into linux. Also as a second machine for playing around with random system stuff I'd not be comfortable playing with on my main rig.

Also, what are some good things up upgrade on these things?

>everything has DP
I literally don't have a single device that supports it, other than my T420. Everything in my house is HDMI or VGA.
>passive Displayport-HDMI adapter
I should get on that. You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions?

>any upgrades for the T420
Alienware 1080p screen
16GiB ram
i7 quad core
mSATA SSD
unlock 1600MHz ram speed with bios upgrade
unlock Ivy Bridge CPUs with bios upgrade
neutralize Intel ME with rom flasher

>1080p
900p
>1800MHz RAM Speed
1866MHz actually, and the T430 goes to 2133MHz.

>upgrading T420
>not upgrading T430
kek, it can't even handle 2133MHz RAM.
Oh, and it has shitty iGPU

>goes to 2133MHz.
(by default)

I concur with If you're doing hard mods there is ZERO reason to go with a T420 over a T430.

Is there a brand of sliding webcam cover that'll work on a T420? I got one for free but the curved edge at the top of the screen would keep it from staying on. I assume you'd need one specifically for the T420.

This is a pretty intense post.

So as earlier responses suggest, you'd want to hard mod a T430 though, since the only real problem might be the keyboard, which you can swap for an old one while you're hard modding.

Is there any reason to go for a W530 over a T430 if you're hard modding? I see the W530 is bigger, which may yield a higher ceiling for performance gains. But the pixel density on the T430 would be way more stronk.

I doubt you'd get the display out in one piece and then, if you do, good luck finding a compatible display

W530 takes 1080p. T430 does not (the post is wrong). There's a FHD/2K kit but it's so rare I doubt a single person has it here (there was someone with the x230 kit but that's easier to come by, the non-s T430/T420 kit is stupid rare and mostly chinks have it).

Aside from that, the W530 cooling is much better. The T430 cannot run a 55W XM. The T530/W530 can.

Those are the 2 major differences.

Note that if you aren't planning on BIOS flashing to enable overclocking, there is no point in getting the 530 for the XM, it's only clocked 100MHz higher, BUT the 3840QM (which the T430 can run fine and OC) only goes up to 4.2GHz (4.0GHz with all 4 cores active). The 530 can run stable at 4.6GHz all cores using an XM.

General opinions on thinkpad tablet 2? Bought one for stupid cheap. Seems alright for a tablet, although the keyboard dock would be nice to have.

Anyone?

If i was to upgrade my T430 with an Alienware M14x R2 1600x900 display, would I need the HD+ cable? I'm assuming so, just want to make sure before I buy.

I'm assuming you're at 1366x768, in which case yes. Do not attempt without it, I fried a mobo's backlight that way and the only way to repair it is to SMD solder a specific fuse.

Yes I am at 1366x768, thanks for the info.

>Oh, and it has shitty iGPU
You will get the same iGP as a T430 if you upgrade it to Ivy Bridge
The only differences after that it's the impossibility to use non-OEM batteries on the T430, and the NVS 5400M present on T430's
Not really, T430's won't take non-OEM batteries, and the keyboard after modding lacks a caps lock light
Your only option it's using tape or 3D printing your own

>T430's won't take non-OEM batteries

Retarded meme that hasn't been true since before /tpg/ even started. The DRM has been cracked for like 4 years, and if your chink battery isn't using it (almost impossible) then you run a 5-minute process once to fix it.

All that aside, chink batteries suck shit spectacularly and you shouldn't be using them regardless, but if you are this DRM nonsense isn't true.

>Caps Lock Light
pic related

T430 has newer QM77 chipset, unaffected by some exploits towards QM67. It also has lower power consumption, support for USB 3.0 and other nice things.
There is NO REASON EVER to use T420.
>non-OEM batteries
this was fixed long time ago via EC patch.

>pic related
It's basically useless but true my senpai, unless the EC mod has already fixed it

I found a dead pixel.
what do

Abort it and replace it with living pixel

what GPU should I use in a T420 eGPU setup? I'm assuming the T420's limitations mean there's a diminishing rate of return for newer cards, so what's the newest card I should buy?

> I'm assuming the T420's limitations mean there's a diminishing rate of return for newer cards
???

He means the PCIe speed limitations and CPU bottlenecking
afaik diminishing returns start after a RX460/1050, this is ignoring CPU bottlenecks

No look at the hinges its plastic. Please read the guide again X T P are the recommended ones.

I'm not an IT guy, but I believe the t420 pci-e slot has a limited number of "lanes"?

CPU is a 2670QM if it makes any difference

he probably meant that T420's cpu would limit modern GPUs in games

what CPU do you have?

lets say I buy a thinkpad with an ANSI layout
could I switch the keyboard with an ISO equivalent ?

>He means the PCIe speed limitations

If that's the case won't he benefit from hugely from more VRAM regardless of generation?

Might have to EC flash, but yes.

Anyone know of a good source for X230 screws in the UK? My refurb is missing one in the case and though not essential, it bugs me a little. ebay seems a little pricey.

Yes.

>in less than 8 minutes
thats such a weird number to choose.
why not 5 or 10 mins?

Do you now know what diminishing returns are?

>chink batteries suck shit spectacularly

And where do you think Lenovo sources their batteries......?

Not saying buy the cheapest battery you can find on ali express.
But 3rd party batteries from reputable brands are often better than 1st party batteries.

I have a Greencell battery (pretty much non-existent outside of europe) in my T530, I get about as much battery life (+-15min) as I used to with a genuine Lenovo battery.

No they aren't.

I have personally tested two batteries from six different companies.

Not a single one has had above 85Wh brand new.

Utter shit. Oem batteries were fine.

Cool story, bro.

Xddd

a little /tpg/ related

looking for a student laptop, something like a x220. budget is ~$150 max
going to run arch on it with libreoffice, lyx and youtube.

brother has this asus vivobook X202E he wants to sell. it's 11.6" TN 1366x768 touchscreen, i3 G3, 4GB (not expandable), 500gb hdd, 4.5h battery and 1.3kg. I will probably replace the hdd with a low capacity ssd.
i told him i might be interested in buying because i need a new laptop. he said sure, tell me what you wanna offer, but i gtg now

now what is this piece worth? little to find on the internet for something with similar specs and original msrp.
how does this compare to a x220 with i5 G2, 4GB, 128GB SSD?

i7 2670QM
2.2ghz quad core

Well, 3rd generation is a die shrink of 2nd generation.
So it uses less power and generated less heat, but is otherwise very similar.

Rest of the specs you can figure out yourself.

>die
dye

I have the flue so I'm not thinking straight.

It boosts up to 3.1GHz. You should be fine with up to RX470/RX480 or GTX1060.