/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

is there a single cable/adapter that does both mini-hdmi to hdmi and mini-dp to hdmi?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.forms.control.refresh
amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITORITU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
trustedreviews.com/opinions/curved-tvs-the-pros-and-cons
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You mean a cable that does both or individual cables one for each of the purposes you mentioned?

Nevermind. Got stuff mixed up, thought they had the same connector like minidp and thunderbolt :)

So apparently my custom CSS just stopped blocking these ads at the bottom. Anyone have one that works?

anybody ever encounter something like typing too many capital letters in a short amount of time crashing a computer?
running gentoo on a thinkpad
if i type around 10 or so capitalized letters within like 5 seconds (with either shift or caps lock) anywhere, the laptop just powers off. it doesn't freeze or anything, just a power off.

I need a cable that is similar to pic related which is called a UC-E6, I need that smaller male end to come with an auxiliary cables for headset and microphone. I'm trying to replace my Steel-series Arctis 3, but their bullshit proprietary stuff prevents me from getting another one.

If anyone is able to help i'm willing to pay, Im not sure if its allowed but if you put your PayPal ill gladly send you money or ill buy you a game off of Steam or something.

their website says those use regular 3.5mm analog plugs
what's the usb cable for?

oh wait, is the cable detachable from the headset itself, and uses a usb plug?
if that's the case, either get an official replacement, or if it's really a usb one, then you could get a long usb cable, cut it, and solder on two 3.5mm plugs (usb2 is 4 wires, which is enough for stereo speakers plus a mono mic)

(ps. don't plug it in to an actual usb host, you'll just burn something)

I need the proprietary cable to use the surround-sound feature. The cable is detachable from the headset. It goes from Headset -> double male ended proprietary cable -> proprietary male end to audio cable.

I'm creating a winform app with c# in visual studio with buttons that lead to separate forms, but the issue with this is that opening and closing forms has a visible effect and processing time. What I want is to have a button press pretty much refresh the form instead of open and close, but I can't figure out how to simply do this. Any google or youtube guide I watch for a gui keeps all the components in a single form, so there's no help there. Here's the code I'm working with:
private void pageTwoButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
menuP2_Form menuPage2 = new menuP2_Form();
menuPage2.Show();
this.Hide();
}

from the looks of it, it only plugs into the computer via analog 3.5mm jacks, which means;
a. the 7.1 channel feature is purely software
b. there's no way for the software to know you're using that particular headset

so making a substitute cable shouldn't affect the ability to use the 7.1 channel feature

Have you guys ever had problems with loading a folder that has thousands of files in it, on an extHD or an SD card?

Sometimes the folder doesn't load saying "empty folder" and if I try again it'll work after 20 minutes.

this.Refresh();
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.forms.control.refresh

At work when I'm in the vcenter dashboard and a VM is under heavy load sometimes the CPU usage goes up to 5-6 GHz how is this calculated when I know the max frequency of the CPUs on the host is no more than 3 GHz?

some CPUs overclock themselves (see intel turbo boost), the less cores are used the higher they go.

So your saying that I can use an ordinary audio cable and not the stupid proprietary cable and still get surround sound

thanks

yes. there's two ways to do virtual surround, either by doing it in the headphones itself, which would mean a digital (usually usb) connection to the computer, where the headphones appear as a (surround) soundcard
and software, where the sound is processed on the computer, and sent to the soundcard as plain stereo audio
since this uses an analog stereo connector, it can only possibly be the latter, and there's no way for the software to know what kind of speakers are plugged in, since it's just an analog output, there's no feedback to the soundcard besides some resistance, which all headphones do (you could in theory identify headphones based on this resistance, but afaik soundcards and their drivers don't do this, which they would need to do for the steelseries surround software to know what the resistance is)

you need to read a lot of information to display the contents of a folder with thousands of files in it, especially when filesizes, modification times, and thumbnails are included

i have 1.8TB of datas, all perfectly organized in folders but i have to find a clean way to back everything up on DVD-DL. Most of them are videos and pictures from DSLRs so i'm transcoding everything in a lower but acceptable bitrate to save on GBs but i need a software to organize everything in different disks, given that i need a lot of them (like 50 or more), something that will divide the folder structure between 8.5GB sectors and will automatically print an index.

The answer is: what software?

Thank you, I am inarticulate when it comes to audio technology and stuff.

the question is*

Is it normal that my Raspberry Pi 1 (the first one that came out) can't handle SNES emulation on RetroPie properly? I tried three games: Donkey Kong 1 and 2 ran fine but the music stuttered like crazy, and Mario Kart was laggy as shit, not to mention the incredibly stuttery music.
One would think games this old could run on a goddamn toaster, is it really possible that my old ass Raspi can't handle them? I tried the three different SNES emulators RetroPie comes with.

best DE

Using 4chanX how do I filter out threads by the image used? Someone told me "the md5hash" but that's literally all he said. Please give me a step by step.

Ctrl+shift+c or f12 to bring up inspector.
Find the name of the element.
display: none !important
It is that easy.

the md5sum

If it shuts down instantly, it is probably a hardware issue.
Take it apart, clean it, put it back together and see if it still does it.
If it does, replace the keyboard.
If it still happens, replace motherboard.

I'm suspecting my ISP is cheating me.
I'm connected to my ISP through PPPOE broadband, and I'm suspecting that he might have given the login user name and password, for others to use.
Is that possible?
Could two different people connect at the same time using the same credentials?

I already have the following rule:

mg.bottomad,
div#absbot,
/*.center,*/
form#delform > div.center > div,
form#delform > div.center,
body > div.center,
body > div#content > div.center,
div.center.middlead,
strong,
img#toggleMsgBtn,
img.middlead,
.adg-rects,
#bd > div:nth-child(7),
#bd > div:nth-child(3),
/*span.postertrip,*/ /*remove comment syntax to hide tripcodes*/
.click-me{
display:none!important;
}

The element in question appears to be, as best as I can tell adg-rects, so it should already be hidden by the above rule.

Does WSUS offline install all the available updates including the telemetry ones?
And is there a way to uncheck those updates from installing in the first place? I can't find any options for it

anyone have any recommendations on a third party file explorer I can install and replace the basic Windows 10 one?
Preferably one where I can install skins to use on it.
Just sick of FE's look and want something a bit sleeker, while being customizable in a few ways

HorribleSubs is now offering .torrent links in addition to magnet links, is there any advantage to using those over magnet links? If I use the magnet link will I just as easily be able to seed to the people who don't?

How does a V9 have this much kbps?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that a magnet link is, well, a link, while .torrent is a file you open with your torrent client. It doesn't affect who you can seed to or anything like that.

Does Ryzen have decent Linux compatibility yet?

I'm trying to get japanese language input working on Manjaro, and I'm totally at my wits end.
I installed fcitx with mozc like the instructions say, and I get the menu which lets me switch language input. But Japanese still won't type.
Any tips?

Thank you in advance.

As long as you have a new-ish kernel.

If you have in house servers and want to register a domain to point to say, a web server you're hosting, why would you have your ISP make an A record when you can go through something like GoDaddy? I'm trying to make sense of each step of the process of getting a domain but hosting your stuff in house

Do you have static IP?

I just install c64 emulator to android. Besides playing old games what can i do with it?(like writing program)

not sure about wsus, but you can check/uncheck updates in "windows update mini-tool". It also supports "offline mode".

Should I study CS when I don't want anything to do with software engineering? Working with other people on a group project is literally hell and it becomes worse when these people are devs who are even worse than your average human.
What other career paths are there that dont involve SE?

Where do I buy slot covers?

im currently rolling with a amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITORITU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my main monitor(1080) and my 2nd monitor is just some old 720 lg from years ago. any recommendations for a new monitor? i have a 970 card, should i go for a main monitor with 1440p? ultrawide? wat do

What's the difference between a .jpg and a .jpeg?

You could always try to get into research, but I'm pretty sure that would involve teamwork as well.

How do I send files/folders from one ubuntu to another on the same network? I know host names of both of my machines, but I don't know what IPs they have and besides my two machines, there are several more cells on the network

What's the difference between total physical memory and available physical memory?

I'm running a 64-bit OS with x64 based processor. Pic related.

scp
If you know the host name of a machine in the local network, you can connect to it with .local.

I will yeah

Well... presumably DNS is part of the service your buying, so you won't need to purchase it from elsewhere? Also, i've heard bad things about godaddy, so I'd recommend avoiding them.

>could not resolve hostname s-o-n: name or service not known lost connection

i've typed:

scp temp/file.txt myname@s-o-c:/home/myname

Add .local to the end, idiot.

>ssh: connect to host s-o-n.local port 22: Connection refused lost connection
I'm retarded :(

How do i convert from .mp4 to .mov on ffmpeg?

Why did my adblocker all of a sudden fail to block these?
And how can I re-enable it to do so?

You need to have SSH server installed on whatever machine you're trying to connect to. Also make sure the firewall allows traffic to port 22.

You need to remove acceptable ads filter list.

How do I download a video from youtube that's longer than 4 hours?

The typical shitty freeware software I use is too bitch to do it and most of the webclient based downloaders are very limited in acceptable length of time.

use youtube-dl if you're familiar with the command line

thank you! I've done it. this is really neat

ffmpeg -i your.mp4 -c copy your.mov

I see. So that's why nothing I did ever worked.
So those were just recently added to the acceptable list?

Still though. I kind of wish there was an option to remove them for just this site.

>youtube-dl
Thanks, papi!

check if this web client works:
mp3fiber com
(it's says mp3 but it's also for video)

Are these curved monitors worth the money?

>trustedreviews.com/opinions/curved-tvs-the-pros-and-cons

no problem homie

Thanks, bro!
And how about MPEG-1 and MPEG-2?

This is more for TV's, does it still apply to computer monitors?

Is the "AMD processors overheat too often" a meme? I live in a place where temperature easily reaches 104 F and it's a real issue.

I just get confused when people say to have your ISP make a record in their DNS pointing your domain to your public ip. What I understand is you go through a domain registrar to get your domain, but how do you get that domain name to point to your IP?

The only difference would be that computer monitors may have higher Hz and the pros and cons of curved tv's are not driven by speed.

Much obliged.

which iso mounter is Sup Forums certified? or are they all more or less the same?

yw

yeah i bought a amd and even w/ watercooling it overheat's daily please just but intel senpai

Alcohol, Daemon tools or Microsoft Virtual CDRom Control Panel

That's the a-record. Your domain name and the associated IP(s) are added to the DNS server, and then they propagate to other DNS servers from there.

Depends on which CPUs you're talking about. At the moment, Ryzen runs pretty cool and it's Intel's Kaby Lake that tends to run hot(so much so that Intel is actually telling people to not overclock their 7700k's). Older AMD CPUs(especially the FX9000-series) do tend to run pretty hot.

Ohhhh okay. So instead of paying someone like GoDaddy to provide DNS services (ie pointing your domain to your IP) you can just have your ISP do it for free and it will replicate to all other DNS servers and then everyone else will be able to access the web site? Is the only set back the fact that you don't have much control over DNS since it's your ISP's?

How can I make my Nexus 5x bootloop? Tired of the shitty battery

I have a desire to play Demon's Souls, but I don't have a TV anymore, so I was going to hook my PS3 to my 2560x1440 monitor. Is it better to set the console to 720P or 1080P?

As far as I'm aware most of the games all run at sub 720P resolution anyways, but I was thinking it might introduce less lag to have a resolution that divides evenly into 1440 rather than having the console scale to 1080 and the monitor scaling at 1.333... though I'm not sure what would provide better quality. I can't notice a difference but now I'm curious if one would be objectively better.

>So instead of paying someone like GoDaddy to provide DNS services (ie pointing your domain to your IP) you can just have your ISP do it for free and it will replicate to all other DNS servers and then everyone else will be able to access the web site?
That's the idea, assuming your ISP offers a domain name(or domain names) as a part of the contract.

>Is the only set back the fact that you don't have much control over DNS since it's your ISP's?
You'll need to check the ToS about how much control you'll have. If you have a shitty DNS registrar, you might end up with even less (or NO!) control over the domain name - for instance, it might turn out that the domain name is registered for the registrar, and not for yourself, or the registrar will make changing registrars needlessly difficult(as godaddy is known for doing). So it pays to do your research.

Is Freesync mandatory for a good gaymen experience?

Getting 1050ti and RX 560 coming by the end of the week, wondering if I should cancel the order and wait^tm

so I got a second fan for my aircooler the only header nearby on the motherboard is for a water cooling pump. its fine to plug the fan in there right?

its seems to be working but even with the same settings in BIOS for speeds @ various temps the second cooler runs about 75% faster than the first cooler

whats up with that?

I made an arduino usb HID circuit but it is intermittent despite soldered contacts everywhere. what would cause this regular error?

Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful
Communication Succesful

Newegg or Amazon. I don't know where you live, but places like Frys Electronics will have them too.

I think that means that running the OS and default/background system stuff is taking up 3.7ish gb

is it ok if i use a 6pin to 8 pin adapter for a gpu? i dont have an 8 pin cable because i bought secondhand and it has 2 8to6 cables in it already, so it would be an 8 to 6 to 6 to 8, is that fine?

it sounds retarded, but the adapter cable is only like 3 dollars so id be saving like 10 bucks over buying a pcie8 pin cable

youll be fine as long as you have thge amps you need on your psus 12V

How do I block the stupid clickbait banners on Sup Forums without blocking the board ads that are shown up top?

The ads used to be loaded from a different domain so I could use Privacy Badger to block them from loading, but now they load inline from Sup Forums

How does memory management work? I've had some basics in colleague, but the question that bothers me is: if I open two instances of the same program, is their executable code shared in memory? Do all Linux, Windows and macOS handle it the same?

>if I open two instances of the same program, is their executable code shared in memory?
No. The OS manages memory per process.

>Do all Linux, Windows and macOS handle it the same?
No.

What would cause a system to lose power and shut off during gaming?

I built a system a while ago with a fanless PSU, and it should in theory be able to power my system fine but its borderline. It's been fine for over a year, but for the last week it just shuts itself off after gaming for a few minutes. It's also pretty much always had a problem with freezing when idling ever since I changed the RAM.

Your PSU isn't powerful enough to power all of your components at high load.
Or you're overheating.

Do a stress test and monitor temps.

>The OS manages memory per process
That's just so sad. We should fix that.

I'll work on the logo.

i think it might actually be an 8 pin to 2x 6 pin split cable, think i should just get the 8pin pcie cable to run alongside it? the gpu needs a 6pin and an 8 pin, and if its a split cable running a 6pin and an 8pin off of 1 8pin it would be a problem, right?