>Ubuntu, Fedora, and SUSE coming to the Windows Store

>GNU system available on Windows
>doesn't even include Linux
>normies keep calling it Linux
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#Currently_Registered_UNIX_systems
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What does Stallman think of GNU/NT?

finally the ultimate OS

I optimized your pepe, your pepe is now optimized.

>GNU/Windows is a thing now

Windows is a subsystem
It's NT/GNU

Here's how it works: The WSL translates syscalls that would go to Linux into a language Windows kernel NT understands. So it's basically GNU/NT.

That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that there is literally no good reason to use non-free software and it, in general is just a less pleasent experience. Yet there are literally people, even on Sup Forums who still use non-free software on the daily.

It's sick and disturbing.

Linux Mint is a better experience than Windows 8 or 10.

Maybe, with luck, people will enjoy it and switch?

Better software, consistent systems, there you have 2 reasons

a)
Linux Mint is a horrible hack, literally Ubuntu painted green with security like apparmor removed and update blacklists
Newfriends should at least use Ubuntu or (when a bit savvy) Debian
b)
>tripfagging

why should they switch?
they have games and a cool bash hacker shell

>can't even come up with his own arguments
>posts copy-pasta
>thinks anyone cares

U mad freetard?

>when stallman's definition of free isn't really free because if you use that software you have to release yours

do you have brain damage?

do you even know what freedom means?

Yeah, living in freedom means not being a slave.

i'm free of being a slave if I want to

To be honest I swapped to Windows a year or so back and haven't bothered coming back to Linux. I get a desktop environment that doesn't insist on shitting the bed at every opportunity with a *nix subsystem that's already usable and being improved regularly. I feel like there's finally a "sweet spot" where *nix tools are finally usable on a desktop-focused OS that's increasingly listening to and catering to power users. So I can't see why I would want to go back to how it was before.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

*nix =/= GNU/Linux

"*nix" is retarded; Unix is a dead operating system from the 70s and GNU, literally, is not Unix nor are reimplementations of the GNU system. There really is an UNIX, which is a trademark and when you pay for it you can get a cerificate. These are UNIX systems: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#Currently_Registered_UNIX_systems

XD XD XD

By Stallman's own logic, if you use GNU software on windows, it should be GNU/WIndows

Suck it, Richard.

What's wrong with that logic?
Also it would be GNU/NT.

That's like saying a society where you aren't allowed to sell yourself into slavery isn't really free.

Which Linux app are you guys going to run?

So is this the final nail in the coffin of Stallman's free software movement?

Yeah, Mint really isn't that terrible. Sure it's frankenschmanken in some ways, but for many users it's a very good operating system. Personally I wouldn't use it as my main Ganoo/Lyenucks because there are so many other options, but for the average home user it's pretty good, in my opinion.

So it's like reverse WINE?

Only it's at microsoft's discretion how the implementation is done, meaning it could end up looking very different from actual linux. Given MS's past practices, I wouldn't put it past them to actually make software written for "WinLinux" incompatible with actual Linux on purpose.