Don't know anything about programming

>Don't know anything about programming
>Have never done it throughout entirety of my life
>Dad is telling me to go do computer science
>Slated to give it a go
>Have no background programming at all, so I don't know if it's even enjoyable

What am I in for?
I have a really hard time learning things I don't like, and I'm more inclined to enjoy drawing as opposed to mathematics.

I think my IQ is somewhere between 110-130, so I should be able to learn it with some difficulty. I'm certainly not a genius.

Programming doesn't require a lot of math unless you intend to write software that uses a lot of math, eg. 3D graphics or machine learning.

If college isn't free for you, I highly suggest you look at some coursework and try it for yourself.
If you don't like it, you're going to hate your life once you're years into your program and asking spergs on Sup Forums to do your homework.

See

Welcome to Hell.
I am your guide.

>smart but lazy
>only doing it because his parents told him to
Sounds like you will fail.

Hahahahahaha

kek

Abort! Abort!

Computer Science is garbage. It is just a shitty math course, and has no practical applications.

Intro CS classes should teach you programming from the ground up. You don't really need a background, though one would help.

Try CodeAcademy, check out cs50.tv, and try Project Euler. If you find it reasonably interesting you're probably cut out for it.

You can learn programming in small basic in about a month.

In my experience people who like maths generally like computer programming. If you hated maths you'll probably dislike programming. You could always go start learning the basic of Python just to see if you like it.

your in for a nasty surprise especially if your intelligence so far has allowed you to coast through school.

From here on its not the smart geniouses that get the best grades, its the mediocre people who are used to working their ass off. Those that dont mind putting in 30h or more for a small programming project, those that think its completely normal to keep trying to understand advanced theoretical concepts like bloom filters or halting problems even after failing to do so for a dozen times.

Math is not all that important for CS actually.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." - Dijkstra

Start out with something actually useful. I started with C, but Java or Python are just as good.

That's all of college, kiddo.

Whoever said that is just a shitty teacher.

not as shitty as being a tripfag on Sup Forums

>implying computer science is for geniuses
Most computer science is really basic logic that the average idiot could understand if they put time and effort into it.

It's not hard as long as you put effort into it. I have sub-80 IQ and I'm doing CS PhD right now.

>I'm more inclined to enjoy drawing as opposed to mathematics.
I've been writing software for a while (15+ years) and it's become more of an art than a science.

I'm at the point there thinking and planning to write the software is the thrilling and exciting stage, and writing the code is the boring piece but it's worth it to see your creation come to life when it all comes together and runs.

At least as bad, but probably worse.

Small basic should teach you the basic underlying logic and concepts that can be applied to almost any language.

>I think my IQ is somewhere between 110-130
Take a proper iq test and not one online please

>I have a really hard time learning things I don't like
You are fucked. Run.
I mean it, college is not worth it for you, you will be dogged with a lot of retarded shit if you go through any competent program.

Get a job, live a simple life.

If retards in India can do it with no education, you can do it.
Not well, mind you, but you can do it.

Also don't just fucking do what your dad says or you'll hate your life.

OP here
I took one online called IQtest.dk, and I scored 3 different scores.

I got put in gifted classes when I was a little boy, but my brain has undergone a lot of development from that time period.

I just know I'm not average from daily interactions with other people.

>i am very smart

You are also young. If what you say is true then get into CS and be a boss, but the real world isn't like your classes growing up.

>Have no background programming at all, so I don't know if it's even enjoyable
So go study the topic on your own right now and find out.

It's a pretty good feeling when you get a program that you're writing to do what you want it to after awhile of working on it. Feels like you just kicked the shit out of someone

Computer Science is a sub-discipline of Mathematics.
A good CS programme is 50% Mathematics or at least used to be.

Standards have unfortunately shifted, Millennials don't like hard work.

Try Kode With Klossy, its post-graduate level equivalent.

>>Dad is telling me to go do computer science

You're a grown adult. Why the fuck are you letting your dad boss you around?

>I have a really hard time learning things I don't like, and I'm more inclined to enjoy drawing as opposed to mathematics.

Breaking down [complex thing] you want into [simple constructs] and build it up is what programming and art is about.

I'm not a programmer but my 2 best buddies are and I am currently teaching myself, and if you don't even have any interest it you might have problems IMO.

I disagree. At my university, the top students are the ones who are smart but are also passionate enough to put in the effort. Smart students who don't actually do the work are doomed to fail though, and the mediocre (which at this school probably still means that they're really smart over all) can still get by with hard work though. So I agree with you on those points.

I'm going to be 29 years old this year and I've been hungry to learn more than ever now that I've been frequenting Sup Forums. I don't want to go for CS, I just wanna code and be comfy, but my fear of just being too old to start and find a place in the tech world (even if it's just a dumb IT position).

Give it to me straight. Am I kidding myself trying to learn this late in life?

I know people older than you who didn't know shit about computers, but got that IT job and slowly made it into more tech stuff.

The good thing about school is that it eventually ends and then most people grow up because you're in the real world.
If you apply yourself, regardless of your age, then most people will give you a chance.

>I got put in gifted classes when I was a little boy,
Yes, you're very special, buddy.
Have a lollipop

Programming is all about efficient logic and barely about math.

Your IQ as you've estimated is probably closer to 105-110, the ranges are smaller than you think

As far as programming/comp sci go, you'll either love it or hate it. Since you haven't bothered looking into it, and now that you're slated to you're posting on Sup Forums instead of looking into it, you probably won't like it. I give it 2 or 3 years before you try to find another major.

Keep in mind comp sci isn't the same as programming. Comp sci is more mathy and theoretical, while programming is what you need for the software industry. In addition, being a good software developer is more about communication than actual coding skill.

is there an equivalent of this for c++?

>Small basic should teach you GOTO
And that's all you really need

You will only like programming if you like problem solving. Learning the syntax and all the features of a language like conditional loops and arrays is easy.

It's a bunch of if statements and loops

all you really need to learn from it is the logic

read, print, the different loops, how sub routines work, and shit like "variable = variable +1"

Are you familiar with the Mensa practice test that gives you a range of where you fall? Thoughts on it's accuracy?

>I just know I'm not average from daily interactions with other people.

I swear people who say this are retarded.

Hard to teach programming to those who learned BASIC.

Hard to teach OOP to those who learned procedural.

Hard to teach Functional to those who learned OOP.

Why though? I went C -> C++ -> Java and it was all pretty easy transitioning. Ended up liking java the most too.