/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/what-is-windows-10-s/http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-is-windows-10-s/
reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/29f9ft/it_took_four_hours_but_i_finally_got_victoria_ii/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is there a good equivalent to ShareX on Linux?

I mostly want to be able to screenshot a particular area, and then automatically upload it to e.g. puush while also saving a copy locally, then gain easy access to the puush link once it's uploaded - ideally by putting it in the clipboard. Easy access to recent links is a bonus.

I'd be open to throwing a script together myself to achieve that if there's no good existing solution. What tools would I need to use in that case?

I plan on installing Gentoo tonight.

I have a python/scipy application that needs to run for another month. My PC tends to overheat pretty easily.

I need to limit my CPU speed (i7 3770, non K) without underclocking (since my mobo doesn't allow it). On windows I can just set a global CPU usage cap (I have it set at 60% right now). Is there anything equivalent for linux?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

tlp allows you to do exactly that. I have my thinkpad limited to 70% performance right now to lower temperatures.

>when winfags get ransomware but you jump that ship long ago

sorry, friend

*Linux

GNU/Linux*

>when you're a winfag but you literally don't care because all you'll lose are some game saves and if it does happen it'll finally persuade you to jump ship

>I'm available tonight

>installing Gentoo tonight.
haha, you plan to *start* installing
Sup Forumsuys, is running GUI apps as another user (KDESU) sandbox it strong enough 4daily use? (i mean diffrent user 4 firefox, diif 4 media etc). or should i use "normal" sandbox eg firejail?
this
kys nig

*Linux

GNU with Linux installed

What if I have busybox with linux installed though

I do not know of a program as robust as ShareX, but I know xfce4-screenshooter lets you snap particular areas and instantly upload to imgur.

There is also Gyazo on Linux but that is proprietary software.

nu-Linux

I don't know, user. Busybox would propably still say GNU/Linux since it emulates GNU/Linux.

GNU/Linux*

lmao, it actually does

Thank you for correcting me

You should use busybox for serious business tho. It's too much stripped down and buggy, especially things like awk, grep and sed may fuck up things. Good enough for a router or something like that.

shouldn't*

Sup Forums wont be the same

I guess you could call this a linux system, since there aren't two different OSes involved, just the Linux part.
>buggy
For example?

bump

>show up out of nowhere after 18 months and change the fucking version number to make it appear like the project isn't abandoned
>prior to that it was abandoned for 5 years
>it's been virtually untouched for 7 years

threadly reminder to stop using deprecated dmenu and upgrade to based rofi

good advice t.b.h.

Looks good, but then
Conflicting options: --upload and --save cannot be used at the same time.
Dangit.

I know I'm not using anywhere near the full capabilities of ShareX - I literally only need what I described in my post. What could be the best way to go about that?

What's the best lightweight and user friendly distribution of GNU (with Linux added)?

l-lads
cheeky linux user here
am I safe from wannacry?

Emacs

>lightweight
on my old netbook i use debian with lxde. just werks.
also this

The main problem is that most options (GNU extentions) simply don't exists because busybox wants to be as small as possible. xargs for example can't do stuff in parallel, grep has no perl regex, cat has no options at all, etc. Then there are actual bugs like integer overflows
>awk 'BEGIN { printf "%d\n", 10240000000000/1024 }' will return a minus value
and some regex differences with grep and sed.
There things aren't "really" a problem when you write portable scripts, but it's useful to be careful.

Try GuixSD buddy. I can't await the 1.0. The package manager is amazing.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

How is it better than pacman, apt, zypper or dnf? I mean it's just a syntax thing. sudo 'package manager' install 'package' How does guix improve upon this?

Will someone please tell microsoft to lay off the coke no one wants to tun an entire 3d engine on their desktop

There's no such thing as a "lightweight distro", unless you're actually trying to run it on sub-1GB RAM toasters or something.

The DE is the main thing that can be light or heavy. I'm an xfce shill, or you can go lxde for even less weight, or just screw it all and use a tiling WM

zdnet.com/article/what-is-windows-10-s/http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-is-windows-10-s/

looks like year of GNU/Linux comin faster!

This is nothing new. WindowsRT was the same thing.

scrot -s
allows you to select with the mouse the part of the screen you want to screenshot

scrot in general is quite a powerful command line screenshot tool

>not using import

Nice, but can I then save it to a folder, upload it somewhere, and get the link to the uploaded file in my clipboard?

>boot live cd
>xcfe looks better than expected, icons are neat, menu search great, shortcuts working out of the box
>install
>garbage ass ugly shit menu doesn't have a search and no shortcuts whatsoever
What kind of bait and switch is this?
Seriously though, is there a way to just load the settings and stuff that manjaro has in the live cd? I don feel like spending half a day to put this is a working state.

>I don feel like spending half a day to put this is a working state.

Good. One less idiot tainting the xfce userbase. Especially when you can fix most of the problems in 3 minutes flat or less.

What's the best file manager?

Pleb

I mean, if people don't spoonfeed me I'll just have to figure it out one way or the other.
I'm just shocked about the decision there, why would they show how good it is just to strip it out a minute late? The other Manjaro distributions kept the same theme in the live cd and after installation.
Also do keep it friendly.

bash

>can I then save it to a folder
yes, scrot can specify the folder and filename

>upload it somewhere
basically you will want to make a bash script to do everything you want. the screenshotting, saving, and naming of the file would be done with scrot. to upload the file, Im not sure if its the best option for you, but you can use the ftp command

>get the link to the uploaded file in my clipboard
this should be easily able to be implemented in your bash script. This whole thing you want to do can be implemented in a bash script that is only a few lines in length

What is the best Navy rating or Army MOS if I want to work with Linux in the military?

rofl is bloat

Hello gentoomen
I booted the minimal gentoo installation CD and lo and behold I have no ethernet driver.

My laptop is an acer and its nic is called Acer Nplify.

How do I get the driver?

>inb4 read the handbook
It is literally not in the handbook.

>google it

>light weight
>sub 1GB RAM

get the fuck out you new cunt. I have Debian with a fully functioning GUI on my netbook (which only has 442MB RAM) and it boots into less than 40MB RAM use

How

How can I overdrive the colors based on distro on screenfetch? I'm uncommenting this line:

textcolor="\e[1,34m"
labelcolor="\e[1;34m"

But it does nothing. Not even when I change the values. What am I doing wrong?

That is odd because I just installed Manjaro Xfce the other day and it was fine. Something fucked up for you

11x since it sounds like X11

Which is the best distro for a 1GB RAM toaster?

Never mind, I'm an idiot, you can change the colors with -c.

Debian Stable with LXDE

debian with xfce or lubuntu (or solus)
it won't be much fun in either case though, since any browser will eat it all up

puppy

That's only if he tries to use a browser like Firefox or Chromium. If he choose Midori and tweaks the settings so it doesn't load unecessary elements, he'll be just fine.

Are AMD drivers good yet?

Never

>Arch Linux
installed plasma KDE
uninstalled Gnome login screen
uninstalled Gnome
rebooted
dropped into emergency console, cant even ping?

hlep -- donot wanna have to install this pain in the ass again

You fucked with your boot loader somehow.
Boot livecd and use pacman.log to revert your mindless uninstallting

gtk+ or qt?

>undetermined infantry

Debian with OpenBox or IceWM
Why waste RAM on a full DE when a WM works better

qt has chromium botnet

how stable is gentoo testing (~amd64)?

Check Fb group Linux if you need help ....

What is "Fb"?

normiebook

I'm using MATE desktop with openbox as a window manager, and I'm trying out firefox for the first time. But i'm being driven crazy by the panel at the top of the screen. It's ugly and it removes screen space for no reason. Is there any way to remove it and have the min/max/close buttons be on the same panel as the tabs? I know chrome/chromium has an option to bring it back to the default appearance, but I'm not sure if that's available on firefox.

This must be bait.

Turn off borders.fine the keybind using openbox man

I've seen the statement "Xfce is to Gnome what Lxqt is to Plasma" on the net. Can someone explain it to me? Does it mean Xfce/Lxqt is a lightweight fork of Gnome/Plasma? Or does it refer to the fact that one pair uses gtk and the other qt?

>meanwhile on reddit

Thanks for the advice, but I must be blind cause I am not seeing anything about disabling borders in the man page. Do you happen to know what it is?

delet

With this recent malware stuff going on I kind of want to go a distro again. I had Arch but my friends kept pressuring me to play games not able to be played through WINE or natively, so I went back. Don't want to dual-boot either, so it's one or the other.

I can probably get everything I play to work, but I have yet to find a way to play Victoria 2 on a distro. One of my favourite games and I'd hate to leave it behind.

I'm also curious if I can use torrented DLC on CK2 natively on Linux since it's just files, but apparently you also need to use the activator. Would I be able to use the activator through WINE but then play natively? I don't know if this makes sense what I'm asking.

I recompiled the kernel to support audit framework. But now my tty and log is being spammed with ~1 million lines per second.How do i use auditing without this nonsense?

reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/29f9ft/it_took_four_hours_but_i_finally_got_victoria_ii/

install ubunut

Shit. My copy is torrented.

I'm trying to set up my HP 8610 printer to my recent arch install. I've installed the needed CUPS packages, and I'm now going through the configuration in the browser gui config those packages come with. But I can't find my printer listed when it asks me to select my printer. So what's my next option? I see an option to add a PPA file, but how do i get that?

Should I drop Gnome for KDE?

>>nda declined

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS?

Idk, user. What would be better for you?

my laptop is old, Gnome uses too much RAM

try xfce

I also use XFCE, but lacks in extensions, and I've heard good things about KDE; I'm downloading the ISO to try it out

Anyone here use lemonbar? Not interested in ricing discussion, I'm more interested in if anyone has some clever scripts, cool buttons, etc.

Why would you download an ISO for a DE?