How are ultrawide monitors for gaming?

How are ultrawide monitors for gaming?

Is it just a meme?

Do games even support the resolutions?

Alex, for a penny, what is dynamic aspect ratio?

>playing video games

I absolutely love my ultrawide monitor, but imo it's a meme for gaming. It's not bad per say, although some games like Overwatch have terrible 21:9 "support", but for productivity I think it's amazing.

If you think about it, they do make sense. I'm more often turning left and right than looking up or down and multiple times, the extra resolution on the side has allowed me to increase my FOV and cover areas more effectively.

You'll run into issues, sure since it's relatively new (thus older games won't work too great on them) but I like mine

ultrawide is specifically made for gayman faggots.

Real productive men use 16:10 and 4:3

Most modern games "support" it, with support being in quotes because they often don't properly adjust anything for the aspect ratio a lot of the time.

Theres a 21:9 curator group for Steam, it tells you what game has native support, tons of them do.

Something that doesn't fucking work! I was perfectly happy with my 5:4 screens but more and more games were unwilling to run anything else but widescreen EVEN in letterbox!

10/10 would recommend

my immersion is over 1000

Stalker in Ultrawide is 10/10 on the immersion scale.

WideAsFcuk YouTube channel does great coverage of 21:9 support in games, check it out.

most modern games aside from bethesda shit natively support it

One of my coworkers has an ultra wide. We make heavy use of google hangouts and when he shares his screen no one can read it because of the rest of us have 16:9 and 16:10 screens. He ends up having to share only individual Windows and you can tell he hates it.

Probably not an issue for most people, but something to think about.

It's shit. Don't believe the marketing bullshit.

Im thinking about buying one, and I did some research. Well, ultrawide is not a meme, games looks great, BUT. Not all games supports the resolution, for example none of Dark Souls will work with anything else than 16:9. Another issue is, you got only two panel types for them - IPS and AMVA.

IPS is good in general, low resposne time, nice colors, viewing angels but back light bleed and IPS glow is a huge mess. Pic related. If you play only bright, colorful games like Diablo 3 or Overwatch go for IPS.

MVA have a bit worse viewing angels and colors. Its not as bad as with TN screens, but thats the truth, IPS is better. Response time of MVA is worse too, especial of darker shades. But back levels and contrast is much better on MVA than on IPS. So if you like to play some horror games, or watch some dark movies, go for MVA.

Im almost sure I will buy AOC AG352UCG .

Oh I forgot to add, if you go for 1440p and 100hz, right now only MVA panels supports 100hz natively. All of IPS screens are or needs to be over-clocked.

don't get UWHD above 29"

any other than that, ultrawide is indeed a meme if the price/performance doesn't make up for it.

it is much better advised to buy a better 16:9 panel with better pixel quality than 21:9 with more pixels in wideness but lesser quality

>AOC AG352UCG

this is a hard decision but i would rather advise you to look into the Samsung LC34F791WQUXEN, as it features quantum dot VA which definately let's you wait for OLED next..

or atleast some HDR 284 zone backlight illumination quantum dot panel..

it's called Samsung CF791 in murica

LC34F791WQUXEN have a huge input lag, check pcmonitors review. And I have gtx1080 so G-Sync would be nice for me.

then go play your cs:go with it which will let you win every round, i don't mind

Why not go for studio 4k meaning 4096x2160. You get more pixels that way but you keep the verticality. Its a weird as fuck 256:135 or 1.9:1 or 17.1:9 aspect ratio. Its also the only resolution that is actually 4k. Stuff that is 3840x2160 should be called UHD.

So let's assume you're comparing from 3440x1440 which is the high end ultrawide monitors.

Ultrawide to UHD is a whopping 40% increase in pixels. And UHD to 4k is a 6% increase. So ultrawide to 4k is a 44% increase in pixels.

The best purchase right now is probably a UHD monitor. Way more pixels than ultrawide. Standard 16:9 support and verticality for productivity.

in my opinion, the best purchase right now is anything quantum dot

21:9 LG IPS 2560x1080 here
Go for 4K IPS it's better trust me.

It is kind of hard to know which ultrawide to get when 31+ in 1440p 100hz native just started coming out.
Harder considering there will soon be announcements for release of HDR ultrawides for christmas.

>ultrawide is specifically made for gayman faggots.

>movie aspect ratio
>specifically made for games

>muh pixels

Ultrawide is about size, not pixels.
Once you make screens (very) big they make more practical sense in a wider aspect ratio.

Imagine going to a big movie theater and they project in 4:3.

I have a 2560*1080p 29" screen (LG 29UM67-P) and I'm loving it. Most modern games support it (or can be tweaked to support it), its ideal for movie watching, and for general use its really good. For example I can have half the screen be a word document, and the other half an excel spreadsheet, and both be usable at the same time. I'm never going back to 16:9 again.

dunno I play my games in windowed mode

This. You litterally wrote my post..

I too absolutely love my Dell 29", great picture quality and response time in games.

Was thinking of getting a 35", but after testing one, I really feel 29" is enough for me.

Fucking love mine.

Twelve years ago or so I made a 3D model of a huge curved 21:9 monitor because I creamed over the idea and now I own exactly what I wanted.

Well, almost. I imagined it to have an OLED display, but that's still a couple years away.