So, now that Windows is officially malware in every sense of the word, both literally and figuratively...

So, now that Windows is officially malware in every sense of the word, both literally and figuratively, which Linux distro does Sup Forums recommend switching to?

OSX

Xubuntu, it's like Ubuntu but without the shitty parts.

Ubuntu with GNOME or KDE
Fedora
Arch or Gentoo if you're autistic

Debian and install XFCE. If you have hardware that's supported by the older kernel shit just werks and it's super stable.

should I install funtoo guys?

Killyourselfnix.

openSUSE or kubuntu for a modern eyecandy desktop.

xubuntu for something basic, quick and bug-less.

i personally hate gnome and it looks like shit, but if you like it get fedora.

Soon I will have i3 with anime background

Is there a Linux that isn't named after an Africa ANC commie nigger concept?

>now
>officially
how new are you?

pretty comfy desu. any self-respecting neet should aspire to have that

Xubuntu

Fedora

Gentoo is the only right answer here.

scratch all Xubuntu replies and get Ubuntu MATE or Linux Mint Cinnamon

mint for just werks
arch for simple and cool
gentoo for autism

I hear a lot about Gentoo, any particular benefits against other distros?

Gentoo with i3.

its good

its like arch but slower for no reason

Slackware

best for older hardware, compile time is slow but once everything you want is installed it's faster than it's ever been.

Apartheid Linux

How is antergos for my first distro?

good luck getting it to install

I'm sold.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. I know it comes off as beginner friendly on the website and on first glance it is but it is still based on Arch which means it is still bleeding edge. This means you're more prone to running into a problematic bug than on a more stable distro. Just today, after updating, I find that Gnome crashes when using a certain UI feature I often use. I've used Arch before Antergos for years so it isn't a huge deal for me, I know there will probably be a patch by tomorrow but something like this could really sour a newbie's experience.

fBSD (not linux) on your server
gentoo on your PC
debian (with openrc instead of systemd) on your laptop

Good free anti-virus software for Linux.

Oops, that dot was supposed to be a question mark.

ClamAV

It's mainly used for filtering out Windows malware from the network since Linux malware dies before it becomes infectious.

But surely Linux has viruses too, right? How do Linux users protect themselves from them?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I wrote a compiler, nigger.

Linux malware does exist. But 1.) it's much more rare than Windows malware, and 2.) effectively all of it targets servers, not end-user desktops. Also since the usual way of getting software is from your distro's repos, there's a lot less scope for getting malware because you needed to do X and searched for a freeware utility that does X and downloaded an executable from some random server somewhere.

Surely you're baiting? In the 9 years I've used Linux, I haven't used any anti-virus at all and wouldn't consider doing so unless I was running an email server that served Windows pc's

Not baiting, just a Windows user.

GNU/Linux*

Every comp sci student in the world has written a compiler. It's a fucking standard 2nd year project.

The GNU is silent.

they'll never learn

What language?

Mint or ubuntu is good

I'd say Mint because of Cinnamon. I haven't used either in years so I don't know how much they've changed since.

If you're having a problem with the installer booting and you use a Nvidia GPU Press e over the entry that you are trying to boot on the first screen where you can make a selection and at the end of the string type nomodeset and press Enter