WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

>Pic related

I am at work and I just restarted my PC and cam back from a break. I am greeted by this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware_(malware)
bbc.com/news/technology-39901382)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you are fucked user

AHAHAHAHAHAHA WINKUCKS GETTING BTFO LEFT AND RIGHT

You're fucked m8
Hope you didn't have any valuable files on there

There is nothing you can do, rip

250? How nice, others had to pay 300.

Heres a better pic

or you could rotate it without exif data
Sup Forums strips it

Uhg all my pictures flipped.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware_(malware)

this one looks different

Yeah he took another picture with his phone the right way up

>I am at work
Well unless your responsibility is IT, I suggest you throw up your hands and tell your boss that you can't do anything until it gets fixed by whoever is responsible for IT.

obviously, this being a work machine, you shouldn't have any of your own data on it, right?

FINALLY, THE YEAR OF LINUX

lol fag enjoy getting fired because your network has more holes than swiss cheese.

Finally some use for my bitcoins.

How do people get infected in the first place?

>has whitehatbox
>asks what this is

2ezb8m8

Run Windows and don't install updates for a month

looks like australia to me

1) you let any slav or pajeet connect to your network

2) that pc's internet connection isn't behind a router and file sharing is on

which is it user?

first step is never update windows

second one is open weird links and emails, or just connect to an infected network

GNU/Linux*

*Linux

It's like the wild west of the early internet days again.

PLS HELP

I'M STARVING HERE

It never really stopped being the wild west, so much of the internet is still unregulated

o shit nigga

Hey that ransomware looks way different. wtf

GNU/Linux*

RIP

damn hope you made backups dude

No this is the new over commercialized internet.
It's nothing like crashing random Win95 pcs for fun.

No GNU, just Linux.

>tfw the botnet wants me to starve
literally

Ransomware isn't a specific program, it's a type of malware.

THE BOTNET WANTS YOU TO STARVE

Where does the food go?

Your IT department is probably on suicide watch right about now. You only get that if you're 2 months of Windows updates out of date. And if they're not bothering to make sure their systems are patched, I'd bet they're not making sure they're backed up.

Use the stove nigga.

same person posting

Fucking kek, this malware is going down in history, best shit I've seen in my entire life.

your food is encrypted haha

faggot

Today just keeps on giving, I swear. I haven't laughed this much on Sup Forums in years.

GUYS THIS IS NOT THE WANNACRYPT RANSOMWARE, THIS IS SOMETHING DIFFERE T

nah

GNU/Linux*

Why do you keep trying to "correct" what's already correct? It's just Linux.

GNU/Linux*

kek

If you are talking about the kernel then it is Linux.
If you are talking about an operating system, you will probably be using GNU with the Linux kernel.
Other operating systems can also use the Linux kernel.

GNU/Linux is too specific, you do realize there are GNUless Linux distros as well, right?

list one

>File encryption progress
What happens if you forcefully turn the computer off before it's finished?

I tried, this ransomware is copied and injected into a ton of startup files, it also has some sort of persistence and can't be deleted. Also it deleted all my computer backups. And disabled my mouse.

How fucked am I?

Exactly what you think and that's probably the best idea in general when confronted with malware

Alpine Linux.

ignore that shit and eat the encrypted food, what could go wrong?

That's why I said
>Other operating systems can also use the Linux kernel.
and quantized with "probably" on my second claim.

You just got lumped in with the first dumbass I was replying to

This. If this shit ever happens, immediately turn off computer. Take out infected hard drive. Replace it with your backup drive that has all your old files on it, hammer your old hard drive and toss it in the trash.

Congratulations you just saved 250 dollars.

We should tack on systemd for good measure and call it GNUsystem/LinuxD

how were people getting infected?

Android

And FreeDesktop, Mozilla, and friends.

same person posting

If I'm "infected", would I know right away? I just installed the security patch from microsoft but I need to reboot for it to take effect.

How likely is my shit to be fucked?

I'm pretty sure you'll know right away, the skiddies want their bitcoin.

Just wait, this will be reality one day.

taking your bait

INSTALL GENTOO FAGGOT

Damn you're good

Wow, I haven't seen this level of samefaggotry in a while.

What the fuck are you talking about?

>Encrypted food
Reminds me the uncle split package of pepper over my rice

Windows 7 here just download some cracks from red warning attack focus site yesterday and today. Nothing happend.

I would have thought they would wait until they have encrypted most of your shit before alerting you.

After all, some of these go after network storage as well. Gotta get that encrypted as well before you give them the opportunity to stop it.

Huh. Bitcoin addresses aren't supposed to start with a "d". What's up with that?

>have to choose between joining the MS botnet or getting infected with ransomware

if you're behind a router or decent firewall you're probably good.

only one way to find out for sure though

""""GNU""""/Linux exist

Those are autism OSes that dont have drivers or gaymes. For my main gaymen pc I think I'll go with the botnet

Where do you work?

same way everyone gets infected. download shit like a retard.

i'd be highly surprised if a non-negligible amount of the infections were actually through the smb exploit.

HOLY SHIT THEY HAVE COMPUTERS IN AUSTRALIA

This TOPKEK

By having unprotected sex, user.

>highly surprised if a non-negligible amount of infections were spread through a reliable, automated exploit that requires 0 user interaction

as far as I've read, this is the first instance of this particular piece of malware. I'd say it's very likely that the smb exploit is, currently, the sole vector it spreads by and that this malware was specifically developed to be use with this exploit. The reason I suspect that is that (1) the malware authors know that this exploit is going to be successful for a lot of machines, so they wanted zero-day malware that isn't going to be detected by antivirus and (2) there doesn't appear to be any article detailing the spread of this malware by any means other than smb.

I'm sure in the coming days/weeks this malware will be spread via the typical vectors, as well. I'd even bet that the malware authors will sell the malware, like with cerber, after they make their smb exploit profits.

>i'd be highly surprised if a non-negligible amount of the infections were actually through the smb exploit.
I wouldn't. It only takes one retard to click on trustmeimadolphin.exe and then the worm is inside your firewall. Windows centric networks usually have SMB totally unrestricted inside their edge firewall.

>kek

except it requires port 445 to be open and smb to be enabled. this means that the vast majority of users are safe, and only the networks with completely shit IT departments are vulnerable. i bet that hospital in bongland that got hit is in some shit area and has some fob curry nigger in charge of IT.

at a bank

Topkek
Which bank? Is it "which bank"? (If you're Australian you'll get that)

OH SHIT
WHAT BANK
PLEASE TELL ME IT'S BANK OF AMERICA
HAHAHAH

And here we go.

Its not OP, retards. You can see the original pictures are some faggot's personal machine. Look at the Windows Activation shit, Steam installation etc. That's not a work computer.

The vast majority are safe, but malware authors don't need a vast majority. They just need a sizeable number, and quickly.

Even now, with the malware just being seen for less than a full day, 75,000 machines have been infected, and that's just by Avast's measurements (bbc.com/news/technology-39901382)

If just 1% of the infections lead to someone paying the $250 dollars, the malware authors are going to pull in $187,500 over the course of three days.