ITT: dumb things we do that we know we shouldn't

ITT: dumb things we do that we know we shouldn't

I have never applied thermal paste, I use the pre-applied stuff on stock coolers and leave it there until I just buy a new CPU and motherboard.

>Not switch to GNU/Linux
I've been meaning to for ages, but I'm just so fucking lazy.

Whats wrong with the preapplied stuff apart from not being very good

>stock coolers

also this.
I have never used an after-market cooler.

>what's wrong with that apart from this thing that is wrong with it?

I have a stock cooler and the temps are alright

If you're not doing any overclocking it might be alright

I use a binary packaged distribution.

your fake quote makes more sense

After switching stock for an aftermarket heatsink for the first time my temps went down in fucking half.

Never again using fucking stock.

Used every stock Intel cooler. Temps are always low. Why buy something I don't need?

The Ryzen wraith spire is actually a pretty decent stock cooler. I OCed my 1700 to a modest 3.5ghz all core and I still only hit 61 max temp at 100% load. I could push another 200ghz on the stock cooler if I wanted to.

delidding

wraith spire is the only good stock cooler to ever exist

>2017
>Not having Ryzen

I copy/paste terminal commands from stackoverflow without checking which distro they're meant to be executed on.

>I could push another 200ghz on the stock cooler if I wanted to.

TWO
HUNDRED
GIGAHURTS

I fuckin feel you

I leave upnp open for my TV streamer so I can access it from outside my house, but I never do.

I usually assemble my computers on my carpet.

I also clean GPU and other fans under streaming water very carefully. I never destroyed one.

power off by hitting psu switch or holding power button l0l

*will be alright. The stock fan is absolutely fine unless you know you want to overclock.

>200ghz
N-NANI?!??

Nice memes

Stock paste is quality stuff.

>your cpu temps are lower than ambient temps

Sheeit

I only use non-stock coolers on my non-stock cpus.

>he doesn't have a custom watercooling loop
CPU sitting at a comfy 298K right now, only gets up to about 328K when at full load.

>K
what kind of meme unit is that

kelvin nigger

Now redo it so it starts at 70.

But the result will stay the same.

I find it laughable most get jewed into buying aftermarket paste and coolers.

>I use the pre-applied stuff on stock coolers and leave it there until I just buy a new CPU and motherboard.
It's not optimal, but it's not a terrible thing either.

>ching-chong ricer coolers

You're not being jewed when you have to apply new paste though and I don't see Intel selling any of their stock paste on the market.

I'm sure you can get at least a few years out of the stock paste.

This exact thing happened to me.

I thought that aftermarket coolers were a meme. Now I don't think I'll ever be able to live without one.

>I copy/paste terminal commands from stackoverflow without checking which distro they're meant to be executed on.

That's rarely dangerous, if you have any sense you should be able to tell when you're treading dangerous ground here,
I've fixed computers just by changing to an aftermarket paste because it was getting too hot.
This was just some boring dell desktop computer too. The paste is cheap and a tube lasts a million applications so why not.

>failing to realise that running too low temperature is also out of spec and will shorten part life.

I open up and clear the dust out of my desktop every few months... by using the air blow feature on a vacuum cleaner instead of compressed/canned air.

>fixed computers just by reducing temps

Friend of mine gave me his desktop a while back because he thought it was toast. I opened it up, cleaned out what had to have been no less than a motherfucking literal POUND of dust and re-thermalgreased the processor/fan, after one BSOD on boot it's been working just fine ever since.

>ITT: dumb things we do that we know we shouldn't
I laugh at my friends when they turn bass up in their cars/stereos and tell them it's "cheap", but when I'm alone, the first thing I do is turn my bass to full and listen to bassy music with my four 8" woofer tower speakers. no regrets

>actually using kelvins
what time are you from, future-man?

It's easier if you have a secondary device, like and old laptop, to play with first. Dual booting is cancer and eventually you will stay on Windows because switching multiple times a day is a pain.

>Being this unfathomably stupid

>not using mayonnaise for thermal paste

Nice b8

>butter

Lol implying my ryzen needs paste

>that one thermal paste that performs worse than random shit
Errytiem

Not sure if I like you for using Kelvin or if I hate you for being a pretentious faggot.

Rosewill paste is literally OEM paste.

calculated the average temp of 4 core temps in bash
>one enclousure