Windows for gaming

>windows for gaming
>a vm with linux on a windows host for anything else

Is it a good setup for not being cucked by windows too much?

you have to be 18 to be on this site

haven't had viruses since.. i don't know... 2008 i guess.

bump

Dual boot.

Most distributions don't need much space and you will get a better experience.

>Unstable, bug-prone, buggy, unsafe, exploit-ridden, resource devouring botnet base
>Safe, stable, fast, secure system in a container
retard

that's not the point anonkun
it defeats the purpoise

>Linux on a windows-hosted VM
10000% cucked.

It's typical for gaymers.

no you're still 100% cucked. You have all the ads and spyware on top of Linux, you don't want that.

Do the opposite, install linux and run windows through a VM with GPU passthrough for gayming.

how do i dual boot user?

>:O
how old are you ?

It should be a Linux host with a Windows VM, not the other way.

>VM for gaming
user...

>implying there is any performance loss
user...

I've got xubuntu dualbooted with windows and the windows disk is also accessible via vm on xubuntu
and I don't connect windows to internet, ever

Who is this semon demen

Tfw not the guy you're replying to originally
Tfw i have a 4770k

How much of a decrease in performance would I get?

What about music production software?
Can I use Ubuntu baremetal with a W10 VM without losimg too much performance?

Is it possible to dualboot Ubuntu and W10 by installing them on two different partitions, so I can either boot directly into W10, or into the Ubuntu partition then use a VM to open the W10 partition inside of it?

>How much of a decrease in performance would I get?
1-3 FPS less

yes
if you only browse inside the vm you won't get viruses
microsoft might still keylog and spy on you though
also, the guest might have horrible graphics performance

you need 2 monitors
otherwise it should be extremely close to native performance

Why not the other way around with PCI passthrough?

So i install it into the :O drive?

>"windows for gaming"
>2017
>not making a living by porting proprietary windows games to linux and freeing the source code in the process

Why is Sup Forums still just Sup Forums junior?

1. create a separate partition
2. in the partitioning menu set its mount point to "/"
3. install grub to /dev/sda
congratulations, you'll be able to boot either system

Wouldn't the CPU be affected more by this, significantly decreasing the performance of CPU-heavy games?

And what are the two monitors for?

>Wouldn't the CPU be affected more by this, significantly decreasing the performance of CPU-heavy games?
no, the CPU is barely effected

>And what are the two monitors for?
because you can't access the frames the GPU in the guest OS renders (you could try to copy things over to the host via something like steam streaming but you would lose performance)

>what are the two monitors for?
One for the host, one for the VM, they run on separate GPUs.

Ah, thank you.

Got it. Thank you.

You could use a single monitor, and switch inputs in the monitor menu to show either the host or the VM, but that would be tiresome.

Ah thank you

never had a problem since installing win7. work and games. last virus i ever seen was in 2011.Assblasted lincuck, my windows 10 worked without a hitch, apart from the botnet the thing is fine(wich can be removed). Not ms fault u're too retarded to use a computer. Don t want virus? Have common sense and take care of your computer.

I don't know anything about music production, but if you have equipment you want to passthrough into your VM by device ID be aware that there is a limit of 4 USB devices in QEMU that you can pass.

For instance my HTC vive even though connects through only one physical USB port contains around 10 devices or so that need to be passed through. This single piece of hardware alone exceeds the 4 device limit.
I also had issues passing a Fiio E10k via device ID; the sound was choppy likely some issue with latency I don't know, you might need to give certain audio equipment access to their own USB controller.

If you hit that barrier and want to overcome that limitation I suggest getting a PCIE USB controller and passing the whole thing through or if your motherboard has multiple USB controllers passing one of them through.
external PCIE USB card is easier to pull off and more consistent throughout upgrades.
Just avoid ASMedia like the plague if you do so. Inatek worked fine for me, there might be some other decent controllers out there.

I have my front panel USB3.0 ports connected to that inatek card as well so connecting USB devices into the VM is nice and easy.