Lol @ windows

I switched to Linux full time on all of my machines 2 days before this whole ransomware thing happened.

Actually laughing loudly right now.

Where were you when Windows died?

Other urls found in this thread:

evonide.com/non-root-gpu-passthrough-setup/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bugbuntu is garbage too.

Ubuntu has been working great for me. I haven't used if for a long time however...

I'm on UBANTO too, too afraid to boot on windows lel especially considering I let malware live on it

Yeah, thinking of creating a VM with PCIE passtrough, so I can still enjoy my gayms without putting my data at risk.

Nice games you got there.

yup :(

It's not a huge loss, but it would be nice with some better support.

not OP, but before I switched to opensuse, I think I went on a drought of 3-4 months of not playing games. New games are all trash now and all I ever play is old ass nostalgia shit anyway.

my computer is getting old (i7-3770 times) and windows 10 fully updated kept crashing, blue screening, etc. even after full reinstalls. I literally don't have this problem on gnu+linux, and I like Xen better than hyper-v.

There is no replacing M$ Office though. Office keeps me a slave to proprietary software so I just run that in a w10 vm. Some of the prebuilt templates, formatting techniques, and insanely giant visual basic macros just don't feel right in libreoffice.

Going to be hard to play games with all that screentearing :^)

I tried CS:GO and it works just fine. I actually got higher frames on Ubuntu than what I did in W10, and there was no screentearing. The only screentearing I've experienced on Ubuntu was with XFCE.

>Actually laughing loudly right now.
How autistic of you

>He still plays video games

as long as you don't run the vm with root or user level permissions.

>Muh gaymes
grow up

Thank you!

That shouldn't matter? The VM would only contain gaymen shit. My important data stays safe where it is.

NICE BLENDER FAGGOT

BLENDER'S AWESOME SENPAI

It does matter, means if someone manages to find an exploit then they can gain access to all your system files or personal files much more easily.

Also have to be careful if filesharing between VM and Host OS using Samba. Make sure the users do not have root or user level access.

Huh, thanks for the heads up. I don't know why but I've always thought it's near impossible to gather information from the host without user error.

I haven't heard of any successful VM breakouts with KVM/QEMU. But I have read on here of some people managing to find an exploit with VNC (remote desktop) to get to the host OS.
So you still have to be mindful of what you are doing between your VM and host OS.

I am a little worried because I do use samba to stream around 1TB of chinese cartoons from host to my VM and other devices on my LAN without any backup. Users signing into network drive are given read only access to my stash but who knows. Should back that up ASAP.

its well known that Linux is 100% exploited

gas yourself manchild

That's some scary shit. I'll keep that in mind.

If we're talking security here, I seriously doubt either Windows or MacOS is any better.

>Where were you when Windows died?
Sadly that won't happen. Their users are chained to that crap or they think they have no choice.

Yeah I know, a man can dream.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Hi again.

He is using proprietary softwares...

Yup. I'm not a freetard. I just don't like how Microsoft treats their customers.

check this guide to get an idea how to run your VM without root permissions.
>evonide.com/non-root-gpu-passthrough-setup/

I have followed that guide but still use sudo to unbind and rebind certain devices like my PCIE USB3.0 controller and make sure my dedicated GPU is not being used by kernel since I pass it back and forth between host and VM. Have to get around to making the script not require root privileges at all.
Shouldn't be a problem for you since you won't likely be doing any of that so following that guide should suffice.

Thanks a lot for your help!

At my house, right on time to laugh at winfags, yesterday was a good day