Americans still use Fahrenheit

>Americans still use Fahrenheit

What the actual fuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LgrXd0NM2y8
youtube.com/watch?v=SmSJXC6_qQ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd rather use a system where the difference between a hot day and a cold day isn't 3 degrees

Difference between hot and cold day is clearly binary.

Retard detected

one centigrade is about the precision of your temperature sense. why want yet alone need more steps to describe the wheather?

>hot day
30 °C
>cold day
10 °C

I play my 4000/5000 monster in attack position!

americans, they're THIS dumb

youtube.com/watch?v=LgrXd0NM2y8
youtube.com/watch?v=SmSJXC6_qQ8

They also don't use normal paper sizes.

No wonder they can't keep up technologically.

Trips everywhere

there are two types of goyim in this world: the goys that use the metric system and the goys that put a man on the moon

It doesn't really matter that much

DELET

>hot day
>cold day

Wow, look how much more information you get from a single unit. Almost like it was created to reflect comfortable temperature ranges for humans or something.

And do we want to talk about them still using MILES as a space unit? Or FEET and INCHES? Gosh they're so useless

not him but what are you even trying to say?

I'm sorry europoor, but your celsius doesn't have a flag on the moon.

i don't get your point
wouldn't a system where anything below zero is freezing make more sense than one where freezing point is some arbitiary 32 degrees?

metric is just as arbitrary as imperial
imperial is much more useful for everyday use

Fahrenheit is better scaled to describe livable human temperatures (0-100 F) than celsius.
So with this system, a noticeable change in temperature would be around 2 F while the equivalent is .2/.4 C.

It is simpler for non sciency uses and better tuned for daily temperature readings so people know what to expect from the weather.

A smart person uses the unit that best works for the situation at hand. If I am doing experiments or phase changing water, Celsius is best. For checking the temperature in the morning, Fahrenheit is great.

The issue is the other side of the range, where 100 describes boiling of water. That temperature is not suitable for life, so the "suitable range" of C is like -5/-10 to 40 or something, where F it is simply 0-100.

Different purposes for the measurement means they will both be useful for different situations. C is great for science, K is best for hard/theoretical science, F is great for daily life.

>it was created to reflect comfortable temperature ranges for humans

Which is fine, but then you should at least have a 2nd scale for cooking.

Just like how you use either pounds or stones depending on what you're weighing.

>a noticeable change in temperature would be around 2 F while the equivalent is .2/.4 C
>noticable
>.2/.4 C
are you really sure about that?

It's simpler because you used F all your life. I don't know about you, but I can't tell the difference between 62 and 64 when I'm outside. C makes a lot more sense despite your subjective ramblings about personal intelligence.

>It is simpler for non sciency uses and better tuned for daily temperature readings so people know what to expect from the weather.
It isn't, though. 13C conveys exactly the same amount of useful information for everyday use as 55F does.

>AMERIĆUCKS

i still don't see the issue, i can't think of a single person i met that had any difficulty understanding celsius scale

Call me weird, but I'm not constantly worried that the weather gets too extreme to survive.

>suitable range in F
>0-100
Nice try fag. 0 is far too cold to live without very warm clothing or well-insulated shelter, and 100F is definitely not the cut-off for too hot to live in. Choose a consistent scale for your cut-offs, cherry picker.

>where freezing point is some arbitiary 32 degrees
Choosing the freezing point of water as 0 is arbitrary as well. What does it help you with anything that is not water? Fun fact, 0 °C isn't even the exact freezing point.

Rankine and Kelvin at least have a definite 0, it cannot get colder than that. But in what intervals you choose to go up is completely up to yourself.

You can't even feel a difference of 1 °F

oy vey

Why. You don't cook at 0 °C. And when you want to boil water, you don't measure temperature. You're heating it up until it boils. And often you will not have water. You will heat up oils, meat, etc.

As someone who has lived equally in both systems I find Fahrenheit better for hot days because every degree over 100 is suffering whereas Celsius is better for cold being based around the freezing point of normal water not salt water

Temperature isn't metric

I don't know how many times I need to repeat this to non-Americans but we are taught both metric and imperial, fahrenheit and celsius. We use whichever we find more useful for the measurement. Fahrenheit is better for determining the temperature outside, Fahrenheit gives you a more precise sense of what the weather is like outside. If you want an example that makes sense to you, using Celsius for weather to us is how using feet to determine height is for you. Centimeters give you a more refined sense of someone's height, Fahrenheit gives us a more refined sense for the feel of the outside temp.

>refined
>62 vs 63
Wew I can feel the difference!

It helps to know when the roads will become slippery.
The difference between -0.01C and +0.01C is very significant in every day use.

It also helps to know when your soup starts to boil.

>Fahrenheit is better for determining the temperature outside, Fahrenheit gives you a more precise sense of what the weather is like outside
that would be true if our bodies allowed us to be able to tell the difference of 1F, which they can't

Snowflake society

I don't disagree, but a lot of cooking traditions come from when imperial was the normal. There is also the issue of old ovens that do not read C.
No, since I don't use C to describe daily temperature. Typically 2 F is the change that people can detect, so I was guessing the equivalent. I know that C meters typically have decimals, so I figured .4 or .5 would be about right.
Read above, less digits is easier for the layman. Daily temperature readings are meant for the layman, so isn't it best to use a unit they can easily understand?
You european? I'd imagine that to be the case if everyone around you has been raised using a C scale.
>0 is too cold for human habitation
Europe would like to have a word with you.
>100 not a cutoff
No, but it is universally considered "hot" at that point. It is above the natural body temp, after all.

>Sup Forums thinks it can into /sci/
cute

OK, as long as you use C for cooking you can do whatever you want.

In Fahrenheit, every degree below 32 is annoying with it becoming exponentially more annoying in the single digits and every degree below 0 is pure suffering.

More like:
>cold day
-25 C
>hot day:
25 C

Yeah, you feel the difference at about 2 F. Not sure what the equivalent in C is, but I assume around 0.5.

You can actually feel the difference in increments of 5. There is a substantial difference between 60 and 65 degrees.

Fahrenheit is superior for describing how ambient temperature feels, which is really the only thing that matters when it comes to describing the weather. It's just more precise when it comes to setting a thermostat.

>what are decimals
Hmm... almost like numbers are divisible or something.

>-25
>cold
It's fucking arctic tier freezing. You call cold someting 0-10C

>Typically 2 F is the change that people can detect, so I was guessing the equivalent.
The equivalent of 2F is 1C. By your own logic, C makes more sense.

>Read above, less digits is easier for the layman
Agreed. Much better to go up by 1 degree in noticeable temp differences than 2.

>Europe would like to have a word with you.
As I said, without shelter/clothing, below freezing is too cold to live, yes.

>No, but it is universally considered "hot" at that point. It is above the natural body temp, after all.
And below freezing is universally considered "cold" at that point. It is below the natural body temp, after all.

>-25
>cold
nigga, that's way past cold

I'd argue increments of 2, but that of course depends on how sensitive someone is to temperature change.

100°C = Boling point
36°C = body temperature
~20°C = Room temperature
0°C = freezing point

Do Americans also insist on saying more exactly measurements like "52 and 3/8" F?

>Yeah, you feel the difference at about 2 F. Not sure what the equivalent in C is, but I assume around 0.5.
You assumed wrong. The equivalent is 1 degree C.

Which can also be expressed in celsius whole numbers, so?

Nobody measures F in decimals when talking about ambient temperature. 62 vs 63 is already unnoticeable as it is.

>below body temperature after all
So is 90% of the rest of the habitable range. The boiling point is more important than the freezing point. This is why humans can live in areas below freezing, but struggle in zones that get even near the boiling temperature.
>Sup Forums thinks he will win a debate on units against /sci/
Cute, but it won't happen.

realistically, how many times did a differnce of 2F or 1C make any significant impact in your life?
>oh no, it's 12C instead of anticipated 13C outside, time to cancel my plans

>The difference between -0.01C and +0.01C is very significant in every day use.
It really isn't. Not at all. The freezing point of pure water is about 0.01 °C. Not 0.00 °C. But only in pure water. As soon as there is stuff in it, it will suppress the freezing point.

>It also helps to know when your soup starts to boil.
Oh yes, because all the cooks keep thermometers in the soup and try to supply just enough energy to get it barely boiling.

>No one measure F in decimals
But they do for C. That is the entire point.

> The old bushel was equal to 4 pecks or 8 gallons and was used mostly for agricultural products such as wheat.

add an egg for each cup of flour, gee thankyouverymuch

How does that matter when the question is which temperature scale is better for human living?
Why are Europeans so asspained over fahrenheit anyway?

>muh feel

Yeah right.
Any arguments for fahrenheit made by americans is literally fucking bullshit.
It's fairly obvious if your job was to strangle kittens 8 hours a day you'd invent plenty reasons to justify why your job is important

I love how flustered non-Americans get when trying to defend using Celsius to measure ambient temperature. A system devised for the freezing and boiling points of water has absolutely no use for relating ambient temperature to humans and is actually just as arbitrary as the Fahrenheit system for this reason, so why not use the one that is more precise?

You guys have a point with the rest of the metric system but on this one you're just flat out using an inferior measurement scale.

>~20°C = Room temperature
Not if you have women in the house.

>being this autistic over a unit used to measure how the temperature FEELS
Man, I didn't think it was possible, but you sure showed me.

>The boiling point is more important than the freezing point
It's not. The boiling point of water is completely pointless. Humans will have loads of trouble at 50 °C already. And when you're heating something up, you use temperatures way hotter than 100 °C.

It's called trolling.

We (actually, it's often Americans themselves) make these threads because we know you can't help but reply and defend your system to the death for God and country.

>A system devised for the freezing and boiling points of water has absolutely no use for relating ambient temperature to humans

"It's below zero today, the roads may be slippery"

it's not that bad
last time i was outside in -21 C my armpits got sweaty while my face felt like freezing due to the wind

>How does that matter when the question is which temperature scale is better for human living?
it shows that fahrenheit scale has no benefits at all
>Why are Europeans so asspained over fahrenheit anyway?
i don't know, i'm not one, you're arguing with an american

Ok faggot, go ahead and explain why it is more important for you to relate the ambient temperature that you like to keep your room/apartment/house at to the boiling point of water than it is to get a precise measurement for what actually feels comfortable to you. I'll be here waiting for your bullshit.

The woman temperature adjustment is about 10F around here. What is it in C?

>Any arguments for fahrenheit made by americans is literally fucking bullshit.
Just as any argument for celsius made by anyone ever

>But they do for C. That is the entire point.
It isn't necessary. 10C isn't noticeably different from 10.5C. I don't think they measure in decimals when talking about ambient temperatures, either, actually.

>90%
Agreed, just pointing out how dumb of an argument that was.

>more important
The boiling point is way past the cut-off for livable, so no idea why you would say that.

>struggle near
Uh? Humans struggle with 130F which is quite a bit of ways from 212F. Are you confusing your scales?

>can't win kid, I'm from /sci/...
But you didn't even know how to convert C to F properly? kek

I'd assume around 5 °C

Ok faggot go ahead and explain how exactly fahreinheit is more precise than celsius to relate to "ambient temperature"

>precise measurement for what actually feels comfortable to you
what are you basing this on?

>"It's below zero today, the roads may be slippery"
How is this any different than saying "It's below 32" or "It's close to freezing" to an American. 32 F is the only number you need to know if you live in a cold climate and everyone knows it.

>he doesn't recognize counter trolling
Typical europoor :^)
So the system that doesn't include all of those extreme temperatures would be optimal, yes?
Seems fahrenheit wins again.

This. Metric is fucking retarded.

"It's below 32 today, the roads may be slippery"
woah

"it's below 50 today, dress warm"
"it's above 100 today, it gets extremely warm"

GOOD ONE

>your arguing with an American
Explains why you can't choose the most efficient unit for the job, then.
t. American

Do people actually get upset that Americans use a different system of measurement, and assume they don't know metric? Is this the average mentality of a European?

>32
magic number

Both are just as arbitrary and the Celsius is precise enough, so there's no reason not to use the one that's standard.

It's frustrating when a giant portion of the internet uses archaic units no one else understands

It's actually around 4 if we are converting right.

>muh precushjiun
If so, why every thermometer is scaled in 2 degree increments?

I'm american and get upset about the unit of measurements we use. They make zero sense compared to metric. Temperature isn't that bad, though.

Fahrenheit is almost twice as precise for measuring a temperature without the use of decimals. Do your thermostats commonly come with the ability to set temperatures at half-degrees Celsius? Or is it common to describe temperature in terms of half-degrees to other people?

>precise enough
It's completely inferior without using decimals as I explained above.
>but everyone else does it so you should too
Euros are such fucking cucks.

I'll never understand it. Europoors act proud that they know several languages, but get upset when Americans know several systems of measurement?

I doubt 10 F is an incredibly accurate measurement to begin with

Yuropeans are simple creatures.

>If so, why every thermometer is scaled in 2 degree increments?
Probably because that's roughly 1 degree in Celsius.

i used to work at a hotel and you wouldn't believe how many times americans staying over had trouble setting the temperature of their room since they couldn't wrap their heads around celsius scale