Stop already faggots. Linux is a kernel. A KERNEL. Like NT for Windows. Its what Android is using as kernel...

Stop already faggots. Linux is a kernel. A KERNEL. Like NT for Windows. Its what Android is using as kernel. Linux IS NOT A COMPLETE OPERATING SYSTEM. HOLY SHIT.
IT DOES NOT WORK ON ITS OWN
IT IS JUST A KERNEL
THERE ARE NO LINUX DISTROS
THERE ARE NO LINUX DESKTOPS
THERE ARE NO LINUX FILEPICKERS
THERE IS NO LINUX FONT RENDERING

STOP

WAKE UP

ITS THE GNU SYSTEM AND LINUX IS JUST ADDED TO IT

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
groups.google.com/group/comp.os.minix/msg/ac1b04eb0e09c03e
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Based OP

Based OP
It's basically the GNU system with Linux added.

Achkthually, Linus said it's an OS by itself (dunno what his definition was exactly, but I guess he may call his own creation whatever he wants to call it) and rms should fuck off with his GNU/Linux.

Linus wrote a kernel and he's calling it Linux. The GNU project developed an operating system and they're calling it GNU. GNU with Linux added makes it GNU plus Linux, or GNU/Linux. Which is, in my holy opinion stupid. Theres no reason to mention the kernel No operating system does it (look at Android).

You mean kernel as in popcorn?

But that's wrong. Linux is just the kernel.

>being this butt finger blasted

Linux is the environment, the operating system.
Windowd or Linux or Mac.
Linux's kernel name is actually vmlinuz, much like Windows Kernel is called the Executive

>tfw distros now available at the windows store
>tfw there's not a single line of linux involved; the wsl does the whole job
>tfw normies still call it linux

>it's a cabal of incompetent jews want credit for something they weren't skilled enough to do episode
really good thread

Mac is a device.
Linux is a kernel.
Windows is malware.

FTFY

>environment
linux runs on top of gnu standards which existed 10 years before linux was even a thing

That what stallmanberg wants you to believe to take credit for what he didnt do.
Ubuntu is a linux, fedora is a linux, arch is a linux.
Its all linux. The environment is GNU, the system is Linux

Following the rules of English, in the construction “Foobar Linux” the word “Foobar” modifies “Linux”.

This basically means “Foobar's version of Linux”, but a Foobar GNU/Linux system includes more than just a modified kernel.

The reason it's called GNU/Linux is because the true kernel for GNU is Hurd, so calling it just "GNU" would assume it's using the Hurd kernel.

I can use Linux for embedded systems without any GNU software

I can't use GNU without Linux because Hurd isn't stable

The whole problem is that GNU is too friendly.
Mentioning Linux in the name confuses people.
They ask: "So it's GNU tools and Linux?
And they get a wrong idea about what GNU and Linux actually is. They think GNU is a set of tools, and argue that replacing these tools (with things like busybox) makes it "just a linux" system.
This is how it ends when you are too nice and give credit.

ok fine, but what linux distro is the best?

ubuntu or fedori?

gnu doesn't want that the public thinks that linux is part of gnu, since the philosopy of the linux foundation is completly different from the gnu philosophy, where proprietary software is a propblem and free software the solution, while for the linux foundation proprietary software is a suboptimal solution for a practical problem
gnu wants that people know that the systems root is software freedom, but doesnt want to censor views of projects involved (like linux) which dont share that philosophy
i don't think rms cares primary for credit, he's all about spreading a message

All questions answered here: gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

busybox

I don't care, people know what Linux is, I'm not going around telling people I use gahnuu and that it stand for gnu's not unix not unix not unix not unix not unix

Your argument is?

I think my post speaks for itself

You should and here is why: Most people who join the community enjoy the benefits of free software, but nobody is teaching them how to defend the community. When people know about the history of the system they are using and love, they may read, think and maybe become defenders of our community.

No it doesn't. Busybox emulates GNU programs, it acts as helping toolbox in order to get a small embedded system running. This systemd doesn't have a name, but nobody would get mad if you call such a system a Linux system.
The point is that this isn't what people are using. This isn't Ubuntu, Arch, Debian, Fedora, you name it, people mean when they say "Linux system".

busybox is broken trash
broken sed
broken awk
broken grep
programs with useful features stripped of
I wouldn't even run it on my router after I found out that it can't even handle large numbers and buffer overflows everywhere.

Nice ragepost bro

I'll still call it Linux.

Or are you using the term GNU/Linux in person to person conversations?
Oh right, you don't have anyone in your life to talk to

shut the fuck up freetard

not even stallman gives a shit

this.

it's 2017 anyhow. I don't get why you wouldn't just run GNU coreutils anyhow.

>consist of things I do often say
>not giving a shit
pick one

>he is too young to remember Windows NT

>a new free OS
>won't be big and professional like GNU.

>Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
>need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
>be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
>with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
>aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.

>ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01

>I can't use GNU without Linux because Hurd isn't stable
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD

>he is too young to remember pure DOS

>"the linux kernel is a miniscule part of
a complete system"
-- Linus Torvalds

>groups.google.com/group/comp.os.minix/msg/ac1b04eb0e09c03e

I'm sure Debian GNU/kFreeBSD was only made to make a point about GNU not requiring Linux.
Someone poured hundreds of man hours into this port just to make a point.