Why do you use GNU/Linux?

Just curious as to why you use a Linux OS as opposed to Windows, OSX, OpenBSD, etc..

For me, it was simply dissatisfaction with Windows. The recent security exploits were the last straw, and I got myself a lightweight Debian-based distro. The available software in a fresh install is impressive, and I've grown to enjoy using the terminal. Managing packages is also a welcome change from the clustefuck of installing/removing software on Windows.

Control over my desktop
Software like vim, emacs, cmus, weechat etc.
Terminal emulator
I like my desktop minimalistic
Don't like GUI and going through menus
Don't like touching mouse, when I use my PC/laptop my hands should be on keyboard and ubuntu LTS (for stability and LTS) with i3wm gives me what I want.
When I used windows, I really didn't care much about security, I mean, If you don't have brain damage then you should be fine. But I was encouraged to use Linux by aggressive Windows updates, requirement to reboot after certain software and updates.

I just want to use my computer for crying out loud.

For me, it was annoying pop-ups, and the annoying way Windows makes you update. Also, how basically everyone says that you need to disable those critical security updates just to make your system usable. Fuck that.

Lack of customization and lack of freedom, also. In general, the operating system just kept getting in my way.

I haven't used OSX or macOS, but I can't imagine any reason why I'd dislike it, unless it's anything like Windows.

Ease of installing software, best support for development tools, LaTeX, scientific computing, no slowdowns, no ads, no privacy issues, fast updates, no constant rebooting, reliability, customization, driver support, community, freedoms, GPL, Stallman.

BSD is just as good or even better in certain areas, but it supports less hardware and has smaller community.

OSX is gay.

>would you like to enable siri on this computer?
for the 5th time, no.
>updates are available [update now] [remind me later]

>click remind me later
[turn on automatic updates] [ remind me later]

FFS LEAVE ME ALONE

Ran Ganoo Linux since Slackware in the 1990s but also Windows. Stopped using Windows once the arms race to get updates took too much of my time. These days I use Debian on a desktop for the following reasons

>Guix package manager
Although this works with almost any distro it's most easily done with Debian. I will never go back to any other pkg manager plus I use Guix for development to create a dependency tree all the way down to the compiler's dependencies

>ease of using prototype university software
Most uni stuff is done on Ubuntu/Mac and works fine on Debian. Toolchains are also easy to install and use without having to dick around endlessly.

>shitty flash
I still need shitty flash to stream pirate UFC feeds and other live sports which I run in a VM to prevent containment breach

>emacs
Though I could run this on anything

That's about it. I actually don't like the state of Linux these days (the kernel) and am slowly moving all of my machines to GuixSD which uses the libre kernel plus it's own init system.

I run a bunch of servers that are OpenBSD an act as DNS/Firewalls and VPN. My 'production' servers will soon be GuixSD since you can configure it with one textfile.

>I just want to use my computer for crying out loud.
Honestly, this.

>Buy new mouse
>plug it in
>doesn't work
>run the driver installer from that gay small disc you get with the mouse
>get 2 toolbars and a new search engine for the browser
>mouse still doesn't work
>reboot
>"please wait, Windows is installing updates"
>"downloading update 0/312"
>finishes after half an hour
>computer starts booting
>"please wait, Windows is configuring updates"
>5 minutes later finally boots
>use new mouse to remove adware the mouse driver installer gave me

>full control
>max customization
>stable as fuck
>fast as fuck
>get the latest sw
>no crashes
>no driver install required
>no restart required after every update or install
>secure
>don't have to read that retarded MS comunity for problems like "something happened"
>also pic related
>can do things on it winfags never heard of
>free

I'm currently using xubuntu 16.04 LTS (and i used it for 2 years) and i like it because it's faster and easier to use than windows.
Also i like how linux manages updates and when i started with linux 5 years ago learning how to use it was like learning again how to use a computer (and i liked it :)

Everything ran faster from a live CD. I assembled a new daily driver after MS discontinued security patches for XP, and installed Debian. I couldn't get OpenBSD to run on the old system. Same with Arch. I think the CPU had a cracked die though.

Meanwhile, in Linux land:
>buy new mouse
>plug it in
>it works
>go back to watching animoo

i use linux 'cause it's good for server stuff. i'm not retarded though, so i have no problem using windows on my desktop.

I don't.

I'm not proficient in PowerShell

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I started out on OS X back when literally nobody used it. I never learned Windows systems and Linux was free and worked alot like early OS X. I get anxiety using Windows now, everything feels like it's buried under miles of retarded menus.

Headless Debian seemed like a much more sensible choice for my home server than Windows. It does everything I want and works perfectly well.

New job gave me a Win10 dev machine for Visual Studio, Office, etc and after having not touched Windows at all for about eight years I'm surprised anyone who uses it doesn't just off themselves in frustration.

It started out with me just being sick of M$'s bullshit. This was around the time W7 was starting to get telemetry updates.

After using it for a while now, I'll also add onto that:
>better DE options
>faster and less resource-hogging
>installing software is way easier
>updating is much less intrusive
>I could potentially just use any of the Windows programs I'd want to anyway
>USB devices generally work more easily
>same with printers

i3wm, battery saving minimalism and fine control. Open source feels more trustworthy. Not using bsd because hw and sw support. Windows 10 in a VM for gaming.

what is there to actual do on linux besides ricing the desktop? can't edit video. blender is something i will never bother with. very few games. mpv is complicated. no photoshop

I hope that one day someone will notice it and think I know a lot. Alternatively I hope to eventually have the chance to brag about it and make people think that I know a lot.

for server yes, for desktop... catch yourself on m8

Horrible b8. One week of using Linux, and you'll be so tired of the annoying comments and questions, you'll do everything you can to hide it from everyone.

programming

I like tiling window managers, having a package manager and having library/include/config/whatever files in standardized locations

No. I've been doing it since 2011 now. Only my brother saw it once and he looked at the computer in confusion, but he didn't say anything.

i use it to avoid the gubment. they were watching me before....

What the hell do you need shoop for? If your job doesn't supply you with hardware with Windows on it, you need a new fucking profession. If you're touching photos, I have one word for you: UFRaw.