Do you think this latest ransomware episode will change anything?

In all seriousness, do you think this fairly widespread ransomware attack will propel companies and other organisations to switch to Linux-based operating systems?

The reason why many have stuck with old Windows versions is, of course, money - mainly from the limited and short-term viewpoints of upper management types. But now that they have seen what can happen, will they consider switching to more stable, reliable and secure systems? Or will it require something of a much larger magnitude than this do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

dirtycow.ninja/
cvedetails.com/product/47/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html?vendor_id=33
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think at least some companies will change. People need to notice that Linux isn't that 7 head monster anymore. Ubuntu and RHEL r probably the best choice for them

but muh legaycy software

no, theyll just upgrade to windows 7 instead
the infected companies are just not smart enough to deal with linux

/thread.

Maybe. I imagine most companies will just leave Windows updates on automatic now or upgrade to Windows 10. I imagine a few smaller companies might switch who don't dpend on software designed xclusively for Windows.

lol no
No matter how hard microsoft fuck ups, nothing will change.

Nope. Why would you want non-techies on Linux? Imagine the forums filled with lame questions that you could get with a first Google search?

Windows is alright for them.

Wine runs it better than Windows 7 through 10 does

fortunately, no.
i don't want normies on my distro REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Do you think this latest ransomware episode will change anything?
nah, tech normies gonna tech norm.

>be tech illiterate
>use Windows (because you're tech illiterate)
>get infected
>panic
>get patched
>repeat

>everyone switches to various forms of linux

>people now start making viruses geared towards linux

How did Microsoft fuck up? The program was developed by the NSA, Microsoft patched it as soon as it was leaked. The only people effected were using obsolete operating systems or out of date operating systems. Microsoft did everything they could have done.

script kiddies cannot into linux

>How did Microsoft fuck up?
well openbsd certainly wasn't the one to fuck up

I have seen that meme. Nothing happened. Attack the kernel or the cracker can wipe his ass with it.

>having a 16 years old vulnerability that allows remote code execution
>making your update system so shit no one in the world wants to use it

Except most of their tools.

but can it run crysis

>can't use their Windows software anymore
>throw money and devs at ReactOS

This man understands!

Maybe people will start taking updates seriously, the fucking exploit was fixed back in march, more than a month ago.

yes

pffffhahahaHHAHAHAHAHA

It can't run Windows Subsystem for Linux. Deal breaker.

I tried, it wouldn't work for some reason with the 64-bit patch installed. Game would run and I could hear music but no graphics were visible. maybe the 32 bit version works, idk. Got Far Cry 1 working easily enough.

I want this to happen. I really want to know how the big desktop distros will hold against big attacks.

It's already happening, it's a fucking disaster, people constantly talking about the "year of the linux desktop" and complaining about all the things linux needs to do to have a "year of the linux desktop".

They don't understand that the reason there's no year of the linux desktop is because the year of the linux desktop will be the year linux has finally become a re-implementation of windows.

Systemd is trying to take it there as we speak.

Year of the Apple desktop comes first then they fuck up and finally we get Year of the Linux desktop which will fuck up too.
Finally, we have Year of the OpenBSD desktop.

>tfw had samba disabled since years ago
Not soon senpai, proprietary shit has me right where it wants me, but I am increasingly getting "motivated" to install a (linux)OS, the idea of having at least 3 computers on and side by side, is increasingly sounding like the best option, but economic and technical difficulties are too high for me at this moment, but also... I am starting to feel sick, I hate it (new trends, forcing users to shit, attacks).

>Finally, we have Year of the OpenBSD desktop.
Openbsd support is literally rundown to write your own patches or shut up. They don't need users from the double clickers.

>ms open-sources windoze.
>Sup Forums switches to windows 12 penguin update

Finally linux engineers will be paid as other it stuff.

Linux servers get hacked every single day.

Nobody wants to use that trash.

t. pajeet

Windows has way more security protections than Linux. It also has much better secure programming practices. It's only safe because only weirdos and nerds like me use it not the mass market. If everyone switched to Linux then we'd just have the same problems we have now without the commercial support.

Remember how serious hesrtbleed was and how long before it was discovered.

>Linux servers get hacked every single day.
the ones that run php applications, sure

dirtycow.ninja/

[citation needed]

>making your update system so shit no one in the world wants to use it

Better than
>making your operating system so shit no one in the world wants to use it

Not really, because the actual vector of the infection was still ultimately just some retard authorizing their own pwning clicking on invoice.docx.exe in an email attachment which can happen on pretty much any platform that allows you to execute code, and anyone who isn't a cock-sucking fanboy understands this. 90% of major security breaches aren't cool hackermen popping obscure 0days to gain access to the central mainframe, they're 80 IQ brown people sending out phishing emails, trojans and dumpster diving for old account information, and even in the 10% of cases that it isn't, this shit is possible no matter what operating system you use, nothing is infallible.

Normalfags don't give a shit about Linux anyway, they never will, and to them incidences like this are just the way things are and completely unavoidable. I'd be inclined to agree with them to an extent.

>In all seriousness, do you think this fairly widespread ransomware attack will propel companies and other organisations with thousands upon thousands of systems to spend months revamping documentation, searching for, developing, testing and deploying new software, re-training users, and suffering even more downtime and lost productivity over a problem you can resolve in an afternoon with a simple re-image and/or backup restoration?
no

This. Same shit happened when internet became more accessible and new friends discovered Sup Forums. Diversity isn't anything but good.

Windows is the most dangerous os because it's the most popular.
Linux distros have been relatively safe since no one will create a generic virus that only targets 3% of pcs as compared to 90% (windows)

>mfw goldman sachs run hft with turtle like software

Linux isn't rife with local privilege exploits nor does it require clients to listen with insecure services.

>>MS releases security update to fix it March 14
>>company was planning on releasing it sometime next week
>do you think this fairly widespread ransomware attack will propel companies and other organisations to switch to Linux-based operating systems
GNo. It takes my company 2 fucking months to "test" a fucking security update, do you really think that companies are going to be able to handle Shitnux? All it would take is another DCCP remote exploit and everything would be 99% more fucked than with Windows.

Really the IT people are at fault, windows patched this a month ago and nobody should be running xp anymore especially if they are plugged into the internet for god sakes

The only thing Linux has going for it is its typically open source, which means they're not selling out to nsa

Windows CAN be secure, although majority of the default settings aren't that way

Absolutely not. There's too much fragmentation and autistic cattiness within the Linux community to EVER appeal to end users.

There's no reason why there should be different package managers, etc.

>not realizing that open source spaghetti code is still spaghetti code

>spaghetti++
Ftfy

No, your average Windows user is number than a boot.

IT guy here.
1400 PCs under my management.
90% Win 7.
Zero fucking infections this year.
You have to go full retard to achieve this level of sadness on those so-called corps.

That exploit was patched on XP too, brainless dumbshit.

Linux Wont get more than 10%of the users.people dont like ricing.microsoft won ages ago

cvedetails.com/product/47/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html?vendor_id=33
Security 101: nothing is infallible.

Most hospitals have shit IT people, this is no surprise

>Zero fucking infections this year.
All it takes is one faggot connecting to some cafe without wireless client isolation to bring it into the company network. For our network, the geniuses made every VLAN accessible from every plant, so it would be able to spread to any plant around the world if someone got onto the network with it.

Are you seriously implying managers will completely replace their software infrastructure, instead of simply getting more competent IT admins to update their systems?

Which one costs less?

Who would completely replace their systems, just because a bunch of retards didn't update their OSes to the latest security patches?

Which one takes less time to effect and doesn't need any new training? A new OS? Which also lacks software for enterprise.

Sure..